Author Topic: Mundane Earth  (Read 3673 times)

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Mundane Earth
« on: October 01, 2007, 10:33:58 AM »
After waiting to give a proper use to Fire & Ice, my next campaign will be swarming with elemental powers.
Most importantly, one of the characters will be an Air Mage. I was hoping to give some Air Corruption before beginning play, to give it a nice touch.
Problem is, Air's source is Earth, while its Scourge is Light. This means that at 50 corruption points, this air mage would be at -50 DB/RR, 2x damage and Slaying when receiving Lightning bolts, shock bolts, and the like.
On the other hand, it would be "inmune" to mundante and magical earth... and I wonder ... what does that mean exactly? Earth bolts are not something they'll find every day, and I don't think mundane earth inmunity means it can walk right through walls, so its seems a little underpowered to be instantly killed by lighting but gain no balancing benefit against earth.
I've been searching in the forums and some people mentioned using Air Mages and Elemental Corruption in general. So to them I ask, how did you handle Air Corruption?
Thanks for the answers to come, I know I can count on you!

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Re: Mundane Earth
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 04:40:21 AM »
For immune to mundane element I would say that corrupted being are immune to damage and/or movement restrictions caused by natural manifestation of that element:

- Fire: heat of natural fire
- Ice: cold of natural ice
- Light natural lightning and electricity
- Water: unaffected in movement by strong currents, etc
- Air: natural wind (not impaired in movement by strong winds,...)
- Earth: unaffected by normal ground restrictions (walk normally on rough terrain, walk over quicksands...)
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 07:57:42 AM »
Metals are part of Earth IMO.  To me that means immunity to non magical weapons, or at least the +50DB/other rules.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 08:43:41 AM »
Metals are part of Earth IMO.  To me that means immunity to non magical weapons, or at least the +50DB/other rules.

lynn

This is part of what had me worried. If there's anything interesting about earth inmunity it would be metal immunity. And we're talking mundane and MAGICAL METAL, right? Or at least enchanted steel... maybe metal composition/purity of the weapon affects this resistance.

But anyway, if Air Corruption gives immunity to earth bolts while Earth Corruption gives immunity to lightning bolts, Air Corruption is really underpowered. OTOH, if Air Corruption gives immunity/+50BD against metal weapons while Earth Corruption gives immunity to lightning bolts, Air Corruption is really overpowered.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 10:01:21 AM »

lynn

Or at least reduce crits from edged metal weapons to krush and all at -1 severity as you may be immune to the metal but not the force behind it.  Otherwise you would also gain immunity to falling damage.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 10:43:55 AM »
The over powered doesnt bother me.  Certain types of spell users would float to the top and enjoy greater popularity than others.

Still, you can mod the rules, or skip corruption.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 11:27:42 AM »
Or at least reduce crits from edged metal weapons to krush and all at -1 severity as you may be immune to the metal but not the force behind it.  Otherwise you would also gain immunity to falling damage.
Umh... 4 points in the "Lightness" trait (50% chance of gaining one every 5 corruption points) already include falling immunity (permanent air cushion)

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 01:03:45 PM »
Ah - didn't see that, we have never has a character corrupted although I have a fire elemental champion who would love it.

Falling by not actually hitting the ground.  What about falling rocks or the contracting walls trap?  Howver having traits overlapping doesn't seem that much of a problem - you could just as easily be flying to avoid falling.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 05:11:01 AM »
I don't see metal as mundane earth, since is refined and worked and so combine many elements: earth for the basis, fire for forging, water for the tempering, etc...
But you could give a DB bonus or immunity against earthen weapons (rocks, boulders,...).
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.