Author Topic: Initiative for Instant Spells  (Read 2932 times)

Offline Cernid Win

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Initiative for Instant Spells
« on: September 12, 2007, 05:07:32 AM »
Do Instant spells like bladeturn and deflect missile require an initiative roll against the attack comming?

Because if an Warrior in berserker frenzy is atacking me, its better to grap the healing poition instead of trying to cast bladeturn.

or are they more like instinktive actions like parry with a shield?

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Re: Initiative for Instant Spells
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 05:37:04 AM »
We have ruled that you can cast them at any moment if you haven't already casted a spell in the same round and you still have the needed amount of % action (automatically cancelling any action you were performing if it's necessary).
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 07:19:22 AM »
We have ruled that you can cast them at any moment if you haven't already casted a spell in the same round and you still have the needed amount of % action (automatically cancelling any action you were performing if it's necessary).

BINGO!

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 04:21:37 PM »
I have taken a page from HERO and treat such instantces as ABORT actions.  Any action that is purely defensive in nature, or an action aborted in the favor of defence, be it parry or bladeturn, accur without an init role.  However, the spell must still be cast and could be fumbled as could the following attack role, so some danger remains.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Cernid Win

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 02:48:32 AM »
 yay!  :D
as soon as i find the official ruling that means no more initiative against an arrow for me.