Author Topic: Arms Law and the Armoury  (Read 3857 times)

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Arms Law and the Armoury
« on: August 26, 2007, 11:30:02 PM »
You know me, never happy with change.  I love the original RMSS version of Arms Law with the point by point tables.  Little touches like edged weapons getting an A Krush as their first crit against armour and morning stars alternating between Krush and Puncture crits.

But, on the other hand, sadly, the Armoury is done in the new easier to read and less likely to frighten folks who failed third grade math format.  And I love all the new tables.  I wouldn't dream of running a game with out a Mullet attack table ever again.  I even printed out both new table format .pdfs and shuffled them to give me a complete, alphabetized weapon table catelogue with appropriate crits on the back of each page and everything.

But what I really want is a RMC (yes I'm a hypocrite, why?) version of The Armoury so I can redo my catelogue with the old style tables.

Well, Tim?  Get on it!

:D

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Arms Law and the Armoury
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »
 :P

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 03:41:05 PM »
You know me, never happy with change.  I love the original RMSS version of Arms Law with the point by point tables.  Little touches like edged weapons getting an A Krush as their first crit against armour and morning stars alternating between Krush and Puncture crits.

But, on the other hand, sadly, the Armoury is done in the new easier to read and less likely to frighten folks who failed third grade math format.  And I love all the new tables.  I wouldn't dream of running a game with out a Mullet attack table ever again.  I even printed out both new table format .pdfs and shuffled them to give me a complete, alphabetized weapon table catelogue with appropriate crits on the back of each page and everything.

But what I really want is a RMC (yes I'm a hypocrite, why?) version of The Armoury so I can redo my catelogue with the old style tables.

Well, Tim?  Get on it!

:D

Have you seen a doctor?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 08:41:33 PM »
Not since he got the restraining order :p

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
Not since he got the restraining order :p

Sorry, the Armory was a book that caused great confusion in my group. I am glad you like it though.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Michael Petrea

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 09:16:46 AM »
the Armory was a book that caused great confusion in my group.
How so?

I even printed out both new table format .pdfs and shuffled them to give me a complete,
You too?  Actually, I combined the 2 PDFs and reordered all of the pages within the PDF file to categorize the according to the weapon category (alphabetically with the category of course).  Then I added bookmarks to all of the pages.  Too bad I can't distribute it.  :-\

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 02:34:11 PM »
The great confusion came from the name your crit section and the general layout of the of the tables. When you are expecting to see 8AK and see 8A it can cause some confusion. They also did not like the pick your crit rule and we were considering writing in the crit types but I moved before we got that radical.
 I also seam to remember some minor hubub about having a katana table and using the katana mods to the broadsword table. But I think that problem was do to the different versions of arms law instead of standardizing a weapon table.
MDC   
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 03:51:09 AM »
I was playing with a Monk, who was using a No-Dachi in a Kata. Before we tried using Armoury he was a true kicker, doing a horde of damage because of his No-Dachi, since it was using the Two handed Sword table. After the Armoury he complained and alot. Much of his damage output fell away because of the new table.
We couldnt get used to using the "choose your crit before attacking" style either. We were using a variety of different rule books (both from RMSS and RMFRP) for our RM2 game as the time, but deciding to go back to just using the starter set along with companion 1 - 4
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 04:21:43 AM »
- I think that the major problem of new tables are the critical results (no armor have now great advantage), but this is a very discussed theme, so search for it.

- About critical type, I think the best could be using the units dice, so a broadsword could have: 1-5 slash, 6-8 puncture, 9-0 krush; this printed in the table of course, we can't remember this all the time; and with the possibility to choose critical type with the OB penalty (as Armory rule). So if we combat against skeleton, we surely want to do krush criticals always (using the side of the sword).
This is not perfect, but with all possible combinations of OB/DB we have a good general rule. Now we can do different critical types with the same result, and we don't cause the same critical always with a 150 attack roll.