Author Topic: Products I would like to see for RMFRP.  (Read 21779 times)

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: Products I would like to see for RMFRP.
« Reply #140 on: September 15, 2009, 03:45:27 PM »
Okay, it looks more and more like I've got another year of substitute teaching before I can get a regular teaching job. That means no lesson planning, grading, etc. cutting into my time once I get out each day and there are few other demands on my time, at least not that can't be made flexible. So... I could time in on a lot of hobby projects or maybe I could spend a lot of time on one project, like a new Rolemaster book.

But is there enough interest to make it worth while. Would you be interested in a Faerie Companion and what would you look for in such a tome? (I have, of course, my own ideas, but there's always more that could be written than can be packed into a publishable book, so even if I've already thought it -- like something as obvious as stats for various faerie races as characters -- an idea of how much emphasis might be desired on that aspect would be nice.)
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #141 on: September 15, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
rdanhenry;
 First I would send a request to ICE, The Guild Companion or R Defendi [I do not remember the name of his company right now] to see if they would be interested in the project.

Next just what type of Faerie's are you talking about? The British; the Irish, the Norse or something else? I think that is the biggest thing I look for in a Faerie. Often I have thought about buying a game book on Faerie but then upon looking at it I decide not to pick it up as it only fills a little hole in the game.
 Any more info IMO would be better and I like that you are doing your ground work. Hay maybe you could even turn it into some type of Faerie setting. That is both sort of accurate to earths folk lore but at the same time very unique.

MDC   
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #142 on: September 15, 2009, 09:22:30 PM »
Rob's company is "Final Redoubt Press."

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #143 on: September 15, 2009, 10:32:49 PM »
Rob's company is "Final Redoubt Press."

Thanks my brain just could not come up with it when I was posting.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #144 on: September 15, 2009, 11:20:53 PM »
Right now I am just seeing if there is some market for the product. I wouldn't bother making a proposal until I had done considerably more development work than I have done now. Enough to offer a suggested page count with outline and some finished samples. (Possibly multiple outlines for different possible page counts.) If there aren't potential buyers to be seen even here, it probably isn't worth working up to that point and I should think about another project.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2009, 02:45:22 AM »
It's not something I'd be eager to get to be honest but as I'm so anal, I'd probably get it to complete my RMFRP book collection. :)

I've still not used a lot of the stuff in the current books (and in some cases, I've not read the whole book yet either) but I do like giving greater detail to the players as they've assimilated the previous info I've told them.

Come to think of it, I would buy it as my wife and two daughters would welcome it's inclusion in our game (even if my various brother-in-laws wouldn't see the benefit).

One of the areas I haven't gone into detail in our game is the Construct Companion. I have all the info I need in the Creatures & Monsters book for constructs; having more info on how to create them when a PC is probably not going to be that profession seems a waste of time to me - just like the profession and training packages for an Alchemist in the Treasure Companion.

So it depends on what angle you're going to tackle the subject that dictates how useful it'd be to me.
Are you going to provide race & culture info so it could be a PC including what professions and training packages are available to it? If having Faeries as PCs is not really viable (like the alchemists), then including PC stats would be a waste of your time.
Are you going to go into more background detail, legends about them (which could be different per culture and even the different Faerie's attitude could be different for the various Race's and Cultures), lore and even outline possible encounters with the different types of Faeries.

That was a bit of a 180º turn with my attitude on the subject of Faeries. :P

If you wanted to go smaller scale than a whole companion book, there's the option of adding it to the Guild Companion for a very small entry (or perhaps providing a little bit of detail on one type of Faerie to test the waters with everybody before fleshing out all types in a large Companion book for RMFRP) or you could go in between the two options and provide it through a Rolemaster Quarterly - either as one entry in one Quarterly or several entries spanning many Quarterlies.

So, what sort of info to you have in mind to provide on the Faeries?
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline Greyaxe

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Raise the Dead,
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2009, 08:15:09 AM »
Okay, it looks more and more like I've got another year of substitute teaching before I can get a regular teaching job. That means no lesson planning, grading, etc. cutting into my time once I get out each day and there are few other demands on my time, at least not that can't be made flexible. So... I could time in on a lot of hobby projects or maybe I could spend a lot of time on one project, like a new Rolemaster book.

But is there enough interest to make it worth while. Would you be interested in a Faerie Companion and what would you look for in such a tome? (I have, of course, my own ideas, but there's always more that could be written than can be packed into a publishable book, so even if I've already thought it -- like something as obvious as stats for various faerie races as characters -- an idea of how much emphasis might be desired on that aspect would be nice.)
<ENGAGE SUPER POWER GREYAXE MIND CONTROL>
Stop what you are doing and write this book, immediately. (for Rolemaster Fantasy/Standard System)

Include historic Fey from all parts of the world and the legends/myths behind them.  Also include Fey culture and relationships, Fey magics and rituals, as well as what Fey are good for from a spell casing component, good luck, and protection from.  See the Spiderwick Chronicles for an example of what to write. 

Also include mechanics for converting the the Fey to Harp, RMC and D20.
My motto:  Go big or Stay Home!
To win without peril is to triumph without glory.
Disclaimer: All of Greyaxe's statements are spoken and written with sarcasm and double meaning, unless the reader says the post is brilliant and insightful as written in which case it was intend that way.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #147 on: September 16, 2009, 12:23:42 PM »
 I was also thinking some games and there players like minions. Or as I refer to them as non-PC-PC's. From that stand point I think stats would be a good thing.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #148 on: September 16, 2009, 01:27:40 PM »
I could do preliminary conversions for RM2/C stuff, although they should be looked over by someone more expert. I am completely unqualified to do anything for HARP or d20, except to insist that HARP conversion be titled HARPer's Faerie.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #149 on: September 16, 2009, 02:43:09 PM »
except to insist that HARP conversion be titled HARPer's Faerie.

How very civil of you...

;D

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #150 on: September 24, 2009, 07:34:35 PM »
Would you be interested in a Faerie Companion and what would you look for in such a tome?

Yes, that would be cool.  Can't say I'd be looking for anything specific, but yeah, basically looking at the various faerie-like races of Rolemaster, examining their stats for characters (those that are playable) along with training packages if appropriate, others that could be companions, or familiar, etc.  (The Faerie-related spell list in Essence Companion for ex. gives good grounds).  If some do not exactly live in what we could call the "Material Plane", description of the plane.

Actually this gives me another idea.  How about a Planar Companion for RMSS/FRP?

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2010, 02:59:48 AM »
Herb Law! Or even Healing Law..
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 03:09:52 AM by DangerMan »
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline JohnK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #152 on: March 02, 2010, 01:38:47 PM »
An Outdoor/Wilderness Law. Something on survival in the wilderness from finding water and camping to fighting inside a forest  and travelling in mountainous terrain
http://johnkapsalis.deviantart.com/

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #153 on: March 23, 2010, 02:14:23 AM »
My faves -
For RMFRP/RMSS
RM Annual 2010! All the character record sheets like the old Annuals! (please make this available in a downloadable, configurable, format)
Herb and Companion – take all those lovely herbs from all the source books, modules, worlds and GM Law, combine them into one nice book and have all the rules for creation, growing, effects, skills, classes and spells that revolve around Herbs and Poisons.  It’s one of the niceties of Rolemaster over D(BLAND)D
Evil Law: Playing evil characters, villains and antagonists and races in RM, and new evil spell lists.
Monster Races -Playing your favorite monster types (Similar to RM Companion II I believe it was)
Undead Law- More detailed rules for undead and expanding the already well done area of C&M!
Demon/Devil Law- see note above
Training Package Companion - Complete TP’s lists, rules and spells and ideas and how to expand and use them in your game.
Lycanthrope/Vampire Law – complete lists of Vampire and werewolf characters, spells, TP’s and examples (Part of Demon / Devil Law? Or Undead Law?)
Sea Law /Pirate Law – rules, TP’s and spells for the pirates! Update for RMFRP
Mannish races – all the mannish races
Fairy Races – all about elves and fairy’s
Planar Races – all about otherworld/outer world kin.  (Similar to Demon/Devil Law)
Subterfuge Companion / Stealth Companion – everything thieves and rogues would do! Easy and complex stealth rules, poison expansion and detail, Camouflage detail, City uses for skills “stealthy”
Aerial Law – Air creatures in detail, sky cities, aerial rules of combat, Plane of Air descriptions, airshipts, harvesting electricity, elemental air detail
War Law – just redo it for RMSS / RMFRP with simplified rules for massive combat, equipping and training your army, groupings of forces, teaching combat and drilling, using RMSS/RMFRP skills with it, combat styles.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Offline Greyaxe

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Raise the Dead,
« Reply #154 on: March 23, 2010, 06:46:20 AM »
My faves -
For RMFRP/RMSS
RM Annual 2010! All the character record sheets like the old Annuals! (please make this available in a downloadable, configurable, format)
Herb and Companion – take all those lovely herbs from all the source books, modules, worlds and GM Law, combine them into one nice book and have all the rules for creation, growing, effects, skills, classes and spells that revolve around Herbs and Poisons.  It’s one of the niceties of Rolemaster over D(BLAND)D
Evil Law: Playing evil characters, villains and antagonists and races in RM, and new evil spell lists.
Monster Races -Playing your favorite monster types (Similar to RM Companion II I believe it was)
Undead Law- More detailed rules for undead and expanding the already well done area of C&M!
Demon/Devil Law- see note above
Training Package Companion - Complete TP’s lists, rules and spells and ideas and how to expand and use them in your game.
Lycanthrope/Vampire Law – complete lists of Vampire and werewolf characters, spells, TP’s and examples (Part of Demon / Devil Law? Or Undead Law?)
Sea Law /Pirate Law – rules, TP’s and spells for the pirates! Update for RMFRP
Mannish races – all the mannish races
Fairy Races – all about elves and fairy’s
Planar Races – all about otherworld/outer world kin.  (Similar to Demon/Devil Law)
Subterfuge Companion / Stealth Companion – everything thieves and rogues would do! Easy and complex stealth rules, poison expansion and detail, Camouflage detail, City uses for skills “stealthy”
Aerial Law – Air creatures in detail, sky cities, aerial rules of combat, Plane of Air descriptions, airshipts, harvesting electricity, elemental air detail
War Law – just redo it for RMSS / RMFRP with simplified rules for massive combat, equipping and training your army, groupings of forces, teaching combat and drilling, using RMSS/RMFRP skills with it, combat styles.
Great ideas here, have an Idea Point.  This raises the great flaw in Rolemaster in my opinion.  The lack of races and monsters to play.

It would be great to have books with optional races/Monsters/etc to play as characters.  While not every race will be applicable to every game it would at least be nice to have at least a tool kit to work from to develop skill packages etc for the non standard races.
My motto:  Go big or Stay Home!
To win without peril is to triumph without glory.
Disclaimer: All of Greyaxe's statements are spoken and written with sarcasm and double meaning, unless the reader says the post is brilliant and insightful as written in which case it was intend that way.