Author Topic: RMU Teleport - how do you handle error  (Read 577 times)

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMU Teleport - how do you handle error
« on: August 14, 2023, 08:43:10 AM »
The rules for Teleport state that "in case of error, determine direction randomly". I always found it fun to use three dimensions for the error, but I wonder: How does everyone else handle this? Just horizontal deviation? Or can failing teleports also put you up or down up to 100 feet? If so, how do you handle it if someone ends up 50 meters deep in the rock below, or 80 meters above the surface?

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: RMU Teleport - how do you handle error
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 08:54:56 AM »
"It should be clear from the spell descriptions, but experience
with other game systems may lead to incorrect assumptions, so it
should be noted that it is not possible for teleport error to place
one inside a solid (or liquid, unless one has intended to teleport
into a liquid environment) object. The spell would then fail and
the teleporting individual(s) suffer stun (-50) as explained in the
description of Long Door I." -- note for Lofty Bridge and should be every other list with teleportation spells
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 11:36:06 AM »
"It should be clear from the spell descriptions, but experience
with other game systems may lead to incorrect assumptions, so it
should be noted that it is not possible for teleport error to place
one inside a solid (or liquid, unless one has intended to teleport
into a liquid environment) object. The spell would then fail and
the teleporting individual(s) suffer stun (-50) as explained in the
description of Long Door I." -- note for Lofty Bridge and should be every other list with teleportation spells

Yes, thank you, but how do you handle it? :)

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 01:14:06 PM »
I've always thought that the penalties for teleport error were a bit tame - you obviously will not teleport into a hostile situation (both because of the risk of error and the disorientation effect upon arrival), so any error either means that you're OK nonetheless (teleport error does not end in a solid object and near your intended destination) or you're not teleported and are stunned, which means that the only case where it would be an issue is if you're in a hostile situation when trying to teleport away.

Still, my take on it is : in case of error, determine the error direction in a 3D space (so including up and down) and distance. If it ends in a solid object, then no TP occurs and the character is stunned. If it ends in a fluid (liquid or gas), then TP occurs and the character deals with the consequences.
I use basic three axes to determine error direction (1-4 is NESW, 5 is down, 6 is up), and d100 to determine error distance. However, if you want more variety, you can roll d100-50 (OE) for each axis, so you get a full 3D scatter.
The second thing is that each character teleported rolls the error direction and distance separately. This spices things up a bit.

Another option, that I've never used but could have, is to forego error computation as the rules suggest and instead determine place of arrival by similarity: they do not end up where they wanted to, but in a location that looks like it but is not it, and can be quite far away from their intended destination as long as it is in range. After all, error is determined by familiarity with the place, so it seems reasonable to infer that an actual teleport error would dump the characters in a different, yet similar place. In this case, I would scatter around the actual point of arrival (people would be scattered, but in a relatively short area around the point of arrival).

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 03:13:28 PM »
Error only shows up when you're trying to go significant distances. You might well teleport into a hostile situation, possible even without failure, since you likely don't know what is going on at the location you are trying to reach.

And if you allow error in three dimensions, straight up is always going to be bad if you aren't flying to begin with... which is generally the best idea for teleporting anyway, though.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 05:04:04 PM »
>they do not end up where they wanted to, but in a location that looks like it but is not it, and can be quite far away from their intended destination as long as it is in range

That's a fun take but I would let your players know if you are changing the rule here.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2023, 05:43:46 PM »
And if you allow error in three dimensions, straight up is always going to be bad if you aren't flying to begin with... which is generally the best idea for teleporting anyway, though.
Not always. You could always end up on a balcony/tree branch/ledge above the intended location, or in a pit/sewer/lower floor below it :-)
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2023, 12:50:04 AM »
Error only shows up when you're trying to go significant distances. You might well teleport into a hostile situation, possible even without failure, since you likely don't know what is going on at the location you are trying to reach.

You might *end up* in a hostile situation, but I would argue that you wouldn't consciously teleport into one, given the disorientation effect and the miss risk. Except of course for military operations.

And yes, flight is a necessary precaution... as well as water breathing if you teleport anywhere near a deep enough body of water :)

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2023, 04:03:58 AM »
[...] However, if you want more variety, you can roll d100-50 (OE) for each axis, so you get a full 3D scatter.
The second thing is that each character teleported rolls the error direction and distance separately. This spices things up a bit.

I like the idea to use coordinates for the deviation, so to speak! But I'd rather use 2D100-100, to have to full range of possible distance from the intendedd destination, even though that might lead to slightly higher distances in many cases.

Another option, that I've never used but could have, is to forego error computation as the rules suggest and instead determine place of arrival by similarity: they do not end up where they wanted to, but in a location that looks like it but is not it, and can be quite far away from their intended destination as long as it is in range. [...]

Pretty cool idea!