Author Topic: Prep time for spells  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Prep time for spells
« on: January 17, 2020, 10:44:57 AM »
I'm thinking of lowering the required prep time for spells. I've got players who want to be nukers but given the way the system works you're 5th level before you can blast every other round. Eighth before you can shock bolt someone every round. Having played a lot of mages back in the day, I know that really sucks. You basically have to spend a crap ton of points of a weapon skill if you want to be able to do damage at early levels.

Thoughts? Comments? Rotten Fruit?
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Prep time for spells
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 11:22:30 AM »
They can always try casting by skipping 1 round of prep (with penalty of course).  I wouldn't recommend skipping 2 rounds of prep, but I have level 1 casters casting a spell every other round.

To be fair... to be a nuker requires practice, time, experience.  I'm sure your armsmen want to be Zorro, Inigo Montoya, Conan at level 1 too... but it just doesn't happen.

The work around we did for a couple of decades was to just start the players at level 5.  It gives the GM more options for baddies to send at the party, the party is more resilient, and they are more skilled.  Honestly, that's a great compromise.  GM's who go to Cons usually have level 5 PCs for players to use as it gives a very robust feeling for the game.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 12:05:31 PM »
To be fair... to be a nuker requires practice, time, experience. 

Isn't a lot of that inherent in the need to develop skill ranks in directed spells? It doesn't matter how fast you can cast Lightning bolt if you can't hit anyone with it.

Prep time also applies to every spell. I was just using nuker as an example. Why is letting someone move twice as fast via Haste or deflecting a crossbow bolt via Deflections easier than creating a light source?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 12:45:25 PM »
If it helps, in RM2, I made a houserule that casters can add their realm stat bonus to their ESF rolls. This enabled them to cast spells faster (usually about one round of prep less, depending on how high their casting stat was) without increasing the damage/lethality of the spells themselves.

I think the general consensus on these boards is that casting was too slow and clunky in RM2 (which is one of the things that RMU fixes imho), so this was our solution. Starting characters at higher level works too, of course, but we liked to start at low level.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 12:49:04 PM »
Starting characters at higher level works too, of course, but we liked to start at low level.

I like low levels, too. It gives players (especially new ones) a way to ease into their characters' abilities. It also means you always know the character's career rather than having to decide how they gained levels after adolescence.

I may try the stat mod to ESF rule. Or maybe I'll just hand out magical languages for peoples' favorite lists. They could research more if they want. Or re-research them to gain new options beyond just adding to ESF.

Offline Athelstaine

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 08:59:44 AM »
I understand the feeling. In my game I redefined the parameters of Class III, II, and I spells.
Class III spells are spells that equal any spell above your level via overcasting, for those feeling lucky.
Class II spells are spells that are your level.
Class I spells are any spell below your level.

Granted you are limited to how high you know a list. I run a low magic campaign, where magic is on the way out. There still exists high level magery, but mainly as high level npc's or players researching/finding access to higher level spells. I changed it this way so that the two casters I have do not feel left out. I make them work for gaining access to new spells, so I want them to be able to use them in a timely manor and for them to have fun.
May i serve in Valhalla, better than i did in life.

Offline KPadish

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 08:27:20 AM »
I think that RM mages, especially magicians where most of their spells get no RR, are already very powerful, more so than fighter types so I would not change the spell classes definitions.  I think you will have an unbalanced game.

Admittedly, it gets difficult if you are working with a small group because the mages have no one to hide behind when preparing their spells.  They have to make some strategic decisions.  Perhaps introduce more NPCs to act as human shields.  However, it does make them more grateful when they finally do get to that level where their spells are quick and deadly. 

Low level players do tend to spend more time running away than fighting anything of worth.  I also have started campaigns at 5th level for exactly this reason.

Offline Prince Finnion

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 08:32:02 PM »

They can always try casting by skipping 1 round of prep (with penalty of course).  I wouldn't recommend skipping 2 rounds of prep, but I have level 1 casters casting a spell every other round.

The work around we did for a couple of decades was to just start the players at level 5.  It gives the GM more options for baddies to send at the party, the party is more resilient, and they are more skilled.  Honestly, that's a great compromise.  GM's who go to Cons usually have level 5 PCs for players to use as it gives a very robust feeling for the game.

With experienced RM players you can get away with starting at level 5. I found that starting new players at level 2 gives them a chance at lower criticals and a few more spells to cast.

Since my crew are all veterans of D&D 3.5 players they hate the magic system in RM and can't understand why they don't get Magic Missile with guaranteed damage. The Mage in the group is finally starting to see why it takes as long as it does. His damage output is high now, but the player gets bored waiting the 3 rounds to cast.

I still wouldn't shorten the casting because an every round blaster will lawn chair rest of the party. Similarly to a good archer with 2 shots per round.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk