Author Topic: RM2 Questions  (Read 1088 times)

Offline BigSteph75

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RM2 Questions
« on: November 14, 2019, 09:03:14 PM »
Hello buddies, I started playing RM2 again and I must say that after 25 years the pleasures are still at the rendez vous. You will see me publish often in the coming months because the questions are jostling quite a lot. It must be admitted that Rolemaster's books are not so in order. ;)

So A character who is attacked by surprise having failed his orientation roll, Still get his Quickness Bonus?  Also how do you manage opposition skills. EX: Stalk and Hide VS Perception.

Thank you in advance and see you very soon.

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RM2 Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 09:59:55 PM »
I am not sure how RM2 handles it and don't want to look it up right now, but how I handle it is:
  • Yes, quickness applies as long as the character is aware of the attack.
  • Opposing rolls are just resolved by comparing the roll results. E.g., one character has 141, the other 142, so the second one wins.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 11:58:21 PM »
RM2 Arms Law and Claw Law, p. 13, section 4.4.3, 'Quickness Stat Bonus': 'A defender only has his Quickness stat bonus factored into his DB if he is aware that he is in a combat situation and is free to move.'
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 11:26:06 AM »
RM2 Arms Law and Claw Law, p. 13, section 4.4.3, 'Quickness Stat Bonus': 'A defender only has his Quickness stat bonus factored into his DB if he is aware that he is in a combat situation and is free to move.'

Adding on to this; magical and non-magical DB are at full value.  +10 armour doesn't know it's been surprised, it's just +10.  We do not allow the shield bonus unless the attack specifically to the shield arm.  Sometimes we allow the shield bonus if it is worn on the back and there is a back attack.

Opposed skills, we do the same as Thot:  Stalking vs. Sense Ambush, the higher roll wins.  Arm wrestling, the higher ST roll wins, etc.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 09:51:49 AM »
Yup, like Spectre says, Magic DB at full value(constant item effects), we played half for NM boni.

No Quickness for Surprised(or Frenzied) folks.

Same ruling for Shields as a nicety to keeping players alive, heh.