Author Topic: Identifying items with special magical abilities  (Read 3941 times)

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
Re: Identifying items with special magical abilities
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 03:10:24 AM »
I know that I'm slightly off topic here, but how much do you generally charge for a NPC to cast a spell?

In the case referenced above (Delving L10 Essence spell), what would you charge the players? Obviously, it will change based on reaction to the players... but is there some baseline to work from?

Tx
I would aim for just a little more than the characters have.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2019, 07:52:08 PM »
 ;D
I can see that.

PC: "How much to analyse this item?"
NPC: "How much do you have?"
PC: "Ten gold pieces."
NPC: "Ah... Such a pity! The price just happens to be eleven gold pieces."
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2019, 09:02:18 PM »
I have noted this when trying to come up with house rules regarding hybrid semi.

In RMC III p11 Hybrid-Semi-Spell Users were introduced - "treated exactly as Semi-Spell Users...but they may not learn any closed lists".

Semi-Spell Users in normal RM2/RMC "may not learn closed spell lists" RMC SL p14.

Therefore default RM2 rules seem to be skewed toward advantage for Hybrid-Semi-Spell Users over Semi-Spell Users as they have the same restrictions but have access to an extra realm.

I've devised an alternative arrangement due to this apparent discrepancy.

Quote from: Hurin
link=topic=19124.msg229540#msg229540 date=1562858989
Thing was that it wasn't a new concept and that rules to manage such hybrid semi-spell users exist.

Yes, point taken.
e crits all round

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2019, 06:41:41 AM »
That being say, the only hybrid semi-spell profession is not part of the "default RM2" so one may just allow it when using the extended spell picks (SL, chapter 10.8, "Learning spells", p31)... No need for an "alternative arrangement".
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2019, 07:40:57 AM »
The MACABRE is part of default RM2 as it was published in a RM2 companion that I bought and possess today.
Referring to RM2 SL 10.8 is all well and good, but it only re-inforces the position that  hybrid semi-spell users in a game world will have access to 2 realms so the GM needs to incorporate this. Also 10.8 is optional. There is a need for "alternative arrangement" because the initial ruling is flawed.

That being say, the only hybrid semi-spell profession is not part of the "default RM2" so one may just allow it when using the extended spell picks (SL, chapter 10.8, "Learning spells", p31)... No need for an "alternative arrangement".
e crits all round

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2019, 07:23:17 AM »
Also 10.8 is optional.
So is the Macabre... That's the point.

Offline brole

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2019, 08:10:30 AM »
I'll do a high open ended roll upon successful cast for determining level of detail given. This is based on the character's knowledge, e.g. demon law, symbol lore, if they know the spell themselves etc. This is for a 'medium' magic game, not high powered stuff everywhere and the details given are fairly brief anyway.

Other detecting lists/spells could be Holy Vision, Detect Curse (this has been used in a game I was in).

I suppose it depends on the specific game at hand and how far you want to take it, but research in an Alchemy lab as a type of 'reverse engineering' to determine an item's purpose could be allowed. Although I've never tried that.
Maybe high level evaluation/scholar type characters could help shed light on an item's magical properties as well.

One of the characters in my campaign picked up a magic item. The magic is a (Channeling) spell that was researched by a secretive sect, and generally unknown to others. I'm trying to figure out what can be learned with the various spells and skills - an area I always feel RM2 makes way too complex.

• A Staves/Wands roll, blind, may allow attunement. Does the player have to then use the power to understand just what it does?
  • Detect [Realm] only shows that it is or is not enchanted with [Realm] magic. Or do others allow it to identify the exact spell? (In which case, why have Perceive Power and Detect Spell at higher levels?)
  • Dark or Light Lore? Does knowing "the nature" give details or just say something like "enhances your defenses"?
  • Item Analysis, Detect Spell both run into the issue that the spell being detected is unknown to others. Does this reveal it?
  • Force Analysis? While I am a bit amused at the idea they have to ask a demon what the item does, that seems an extreme step, and limited to an evil magician.

In general, I'm curious how much information other DMs dole out for the various detection spells. It might help if you note whether your campaign is high- or low-magic. (Mine's pretty low magic.)
Jengada
e crits all round