Author Topic: HARP spell costs  (Read 1138 times)

Offline craig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
HARP spell costs
« on: December 23, 2018, 09:00:27 AM »
Back in October I asked if the aspect and attribute costs for the spells in the HARP core book were available anywhere.  Seems they weren't, so I continued my project of "reverse-engineering" each spell to come up with a best-guess attempt at their costs.

Anyway, I've finished that now.  It's pretty clear that the spells weren't costed according to the system in CoM  (but that's no surprise, it's been stated on the forum here several times).

If anyone wants to take a look, they're on my web site along with a bunch of other HARP related things (like my updated HARP CS spreadsheet, spell duration costs, and some tables for comparing different DP/level and skill rank progressions).   I consider my work on this to be public domain, so do whatever you want with it.   Feel free to send me comments or suggestions.

http://taz.net.au/harp/

The file is plain text, with each spell in a separate "paragraph" (i.e. a blank line between each spell) so is easily parsed and processed with perl or awk or or python etc.

Note that the costs are calculated as in CoM 2004.   The Action and Object Aspects will be the same but CoM 2004 doubled the costs for the 2nd and subsequent aspects (and the first aspect had to be the cheapest aspect) -- I believe that rule has been dropped from CoM 2013 which will make the aspect costs cheaper for many spells.  From what I've read here, CoM 2013 also has slightly different Duration costs, with different costs for Utility and Attack spells.

It should be fairly easy to edit that into shape for CoM 2013 rules.

Also note: I invented a Resurrect action aspect with a cost of 100 for Lifegiving.  I don't think I invented any others, but I've been working on this very slowly over the last few months (i had less free time than I thought I would).

I've used some of the costs from the epic spell scaling article in TGC.

Anyway, here's a few samples (there are 104 unique spells listed with Name, PP Cost, Action & Object aspects, and Attributes, so it's too long to post here):

NAME: Boost Agility
PP COST: 3
ACTION ASPECTS: Enhance (15) = 15
OBJECT ASPECTS: Stat (5); Bonus (2x5=10) = 15
ATTRIBUTES: Range: Touch (10); AoE: 1 Target (10); Duration: 2 rounds/rank (20) = 40

NAME: Light
PP COST: 6
ACTION ASPECTS: Create (30) = 30
OBJECT ASPECTS: Light (5) = 5
ATTRIBUTES: Range: Touch (10); 20' Radius (30); Duration: 10 rounds/rank (100) = 140

NAME: Long Door
PP COST: 4
ACTION ASPECTS: Travel (10); Teleport (2x20=40) = 50
OBJECT ASPECTS: Body (5)
ATTRIBUTES: Range: 10' (20); AoE: 1 Target (10); Duration: -- (5) = 35

NAME: Haste
PP COST: 6
ACTION ASPECTS: Transform (15); Enhance (2x15) = 45
OBJECT ASPECTS: Body (5); Time (2x15=30) = 35
ATTRIBUTES: Range: Touch (10); AoE: 1 Target (10); Duration: -- (5) = 25

NAME: Passing
ACTION ASPECTS: Merge (10); Travel (2x10=20) = 30
OBJECT ASPECTS: Body (5)
ATTRIBUTES: Range: Self (5); AoE: Self (5); Duration: 2 rounds/rank (20) = 30

NAME: Dancing Weapon
ACTION ASPECTS: Move (5); Animate-Complex (2x30=60) = 65
OBJECT ASPECTS: Item (5)
ATTRIBUTES: Range: Touch (10); AoE: 1 Target (10); Duration: 2 rounds/rank (20) = 40

NAME: Steel Skin
PP COST: 4
ACTION ASPECTS: Enhance (15)
OBJECT ASPECTS: Bonus x 4 (20)
ATTRIBUTES: Range: Self (5); AoE: Self (5); Duration: 2 rounds/rank (20) = 30

I just noticed that Dancing Weapon is clearly wrong, dunno what i was thinking when I did that one.  I'll fix it by getting rid of Move (5) and changing it to Animate Simple (10)...that works out to 3 PP.