Author Topic: Content Creator Program (DTRPG)?  (Read 5780 times)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Content Creator Program (DTRPG)?
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2018, 10:18:46 AM »
But tell us how you really feel craig!
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline trechriron

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Bard, Dreamer, & RPG Enthusiast
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2018, 07:46:37 PM »
Craig, you sound like a conspiracy nut. I say that with love. :D

Let me make clear what I understand. If you make an adventure with HARP stats in it, you are using another company's rules without their permission. Sure, I imagine you can express them in such a way as to not violate their copyright BUT you are still trying to skirt the rules. Worse, in the gaming industry that is considered crummy behavior. So, if you want to join the ranks of the RPG small publishers, you generally avoid abusing your peers. So, it's not just about "the law", it's about doing what is right.

Furthermore, you cannot declare compatibility or use another's trademarks or copyright without permission. So, I could create an awesome world with the greatest adventure ever written but fellow HARP enthusiasts would be hard pressed to find it. I would have to come onto the company's forums and pitch my non-sanctioned adventure skirting their rules to get any eyeballs on it. Also, considered bad form.

I am not creating anything for HARP unless it is under some kind of license. I prefer "open" licenses or the OBS programs because they encourage independent 3rd parties to create for the system without taxing the time/resources of the controlling publisher.

I don't like your approach. It seems questionable to me. I want to explicitly support ICE, in a public and fair manner that builds the overall community. Not find creative ways to borrow their hard work.

Sincerely,
Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
Bard, Dreamer, & RPG Enthusiast

Offline craig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2018, 01:01:11 AM »
Craig, you sound like a conspiracy nut. I say that with love. :D

That's because you've been brainwashed by the propaganda.  IMO, you're sounding like a brainwashed nut - and, unlike you, I have the actual facts of how copyright laws work on my side: what copyrights are, and what they are not; what can and can't be restricted or controlled by copyrights.

You are doing the equivalent of believing that it is morally wrong to wear blue shoes just because there's been a 50-year propaganda campaign telling you that wearing blue shoes is evil...when, in fact, there's nothing illegal, immoral, or in any way wrong about wearing shoes of any colour you like.  (or, for a less fanciful example: propaganda saying it's morally wrong - a sign of insanity - for women to wear "men's clothing" or to do "men's work".  or for men to wear "women's clothing".   propaganda has an insidious effect when it gets inside people's heads, making them believe things that are false, and then act on those beliefs).

In the case of copyrights, the copyright industries want consumers like you or me to believe that their copyrights give them more control over our use of copyrighted material than the law actually grants them.  And part of how they achieve that is by getting people to believe that there's some kind of moral imperative in maximising copyright powers.  Many book publishers, for example, used to print lies on the title page claiming that it was illegal to lend or give or sell the book to someone else (it was actually illegal for them to claim that, but they did it anyway because they were almost never prosecuted for it) - and many people believed those lies and thought it was wrong to buy or sell a second-hand book, or lend or give a book to a friend.  Nowadays, many publishers just enforce whatever made-up "rules" they like with Digital Restrictions Management (DRM).

So, don't tell me I'm a "conspiracy nut" for observing things that are plainly evident to anyone who actually bothers to look.  This isn't hidden knowledge, or even slightly hard to discover - it's obvious, so obvious that it's truly amazing that it even needs to be pointed out.

Let me make clear what I understand. If you make an adventure with HARP stats in it, you are using another company's rules without their permission.

Yes, that is exactly right, 100% true.  It IS using another company's rules without their permission.

However, the point is that permission is NOT required, doing so is completely legal and ethical.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that - it is your natural, inalienable right.   This is NOT merely an opinion, it is a FACT - a statement that accurately reflects reality.  Anyone who claims otherwise is either a brainwashed victim of propaganda or a propagandist trying to brainwash you. Or both.

Sure, I imagine you can express them in such a way as to not violate their copyright BUT you are still trying to skirt the rules.

1. as long as you don't copy their text or art or otherwise infringe their copyright, then you are doing nothing wrong.

For example,  using both a well-known D&D monster and a specific rule from HARP, you can write something like "In room 10, there is a Carrion Crawler.  There is also a locked trapped chest with a poison gas trap which requires a cascading resistance roll vs Stamina".

Mentioning either or both of the monster and the poison roll is completely legitimate (unless you've agreed not to refer to Carrion Crawlers by agreeing to the terms of WOTC's OGL).

What you CAN'T do is to, without permission, copy and paste the exact original text or artwork describing either carrion crawlers or the game rules for how cascading resistance rolls work (you CAN paraphrase either description in your own words to describe how they work.  you can draw your own carrion crawler too, if you like).

BTW, unless things have changed since last time I looked, "Carrion Crawler" isn't even a trademarked term.  It's part of what WOTC calls "Product Identity" - a made up term that only has significance within the context of the OGL, it has no legal meaning nor does it impose any legal obligations on anyone unless they accept the terms of the OGL (or the terms of use for the "d20" logo and/or a few other licensing mechanisms they use).   That said, though, if you were publishing a bestiary with your own version of a similar monster, it would be less hassle to just use another name, like "Corpse Caterpillar" or whatever. Giant corporations have enough money and lawyers to bankrupt anyone who displeases them, regardless of legalities.

2. these "rules" you claim are being skirted are entirely imaginary - they don't exist except as the result of brainwashing which has the aim of convincing people that the rights they actually have either don't exist, or are subordinate to corporate desires to treat anything and everything as their property.

Worse, in the gaming industry that is considered crummy behavior. So, if you want to join the ranks of the RPG small publishers, you generally avoid abusing your peers. So, it's not just about "the law", it's about doing what is right.

This is the exact wrong way of looking at it.  Sharing culture has been the universal practice for millennia.  Pushing the propaganda line that exercising your rights is somehow "abuse" or wrong, is the "crummy" behaviour.   It is privileging the desires of a small subset of publishers (i.e. the for-profit segment) over the actual rights of the majority (the general public as well as the DIY non-profit hobbyist publishers)

The fact that you, and many other people, believe what you believe is precisely what I was referring to when I said that it's even more reason to resist the propaganda.   Allowing this propaganda, this belief, to go unchallenged is detrimental - even corrosive - to society.

Furthermore, you cannot declare compatibility or use another's trademarks or copyright without permission.

You are 100% flat out wrong on this point.  You can, without any restrictions at all, claim compatibility.  And you can refer to or mention trademarks and/or copyrighted works that are owned by other people/companies.

What you can NOT do is falsely claim to have any official or licensed relationship with the trademark owners.

It is generally considered good practice to explicitly state that an unlicensed, unofficial product is unlicensed and unofficial, but that is not a legal requirement - that's just common sense to make sure it is completely obvious that you are not making false claims and can't be accused of doing so by negligence.

So, I could create an awesome world with the greatest adventure ever written but fellow HARP enthusiasts would be hard pressed to find it. I would have to come onto the company's forums and pitch my non-sanctioned adventure skirting their rules to get any eyeballs on it. Also, considered bad form.

Whether your marketing is successful or not is entirely irrelevant.

More to the point, marketing is a completely separate and entirely unrelated issue, with nothing to do with copyright and only indirectly connected to trademarks (counterfeiting is primarily a consumer-protection issue, not a monopoly-rights issue).  Bringing up marketing here does nothing but confuse the issue.

ICE has no obligation to allow you to market your products on their private forum, and you have no right to force them to do so.   They can not, however, stop you from marketing your product elsewhere as long as you are not either infringing their copyrights or mis-using their trademarks to falsely claim or imply a licensed or official relationship.

I am not creating anything for HARP unless it is under some kind of license.

That is your choice.  You are entirely free to make that choice, but don't deceive yourself or others that it is anything but a personal choice.  i.e. you have the right not to wear blue shoes - that's equally as valid as the right to wear them.

I prefer "open" licenses or the OBS programs because they encourage independent 3rd parties to create for the system without taxing the time/resources of the controlling publisher.

To start with, as mentioned before, you don't actually need any license or permission to publish content for any game system.   There are some licensing deals (like OGL or the OBS CCP) that grant you permission to do things that you otherwise wouldn't be allowed to do (like verbatim copying of some text or artwork from some of the rule or setting books) - but with a very steep cost (like agreeing not to exercise some other rights you already have, or granting a perpetual and irrevocable royalty-free license to OBS, granting exclusive publication rights to OBS, waiving your right to republish your own content for different systems or in a different format)

If you analyse the terms of various "Content Creator" programs, you'll see that they are an incredibly bad deal for third-party creators except in the very specific case that you want/need the marketing opportunities.   That can be very useful for some people, but it would be a mistake to think that you aren't trading several valuable rights in exchange for the marketing opportunities.

e.g. see Bat In the Attic's analysis of the OBS / WOTC content program: OBS Content Program is terrible and it is now not just an opinion.

This is the kind of thing that mega-corporation lawyers come up with to exploit ordinary people - and, make no mistake, WOTC is nothing more than a brand name owned by the mega-corporation HASBRO.  This isn't much different from early web hosting and social media platforms that tried to assert copyright ownership over user-content posted on the platform - terms that were universally reviled and generated so much backlash from users that they were forced to back down and strike out those unfair terms.   I guess roleplayers are a more captive audience if they are willing to put up with such exploitative terms.   Worse, because mega-corporations do it and get away with it, little publishers copy them - thinking that it's normal or legitimate, rather than a complete ripoff and exploitation.

I don't like your approach. It seems questionable to me.

yes.  the propaganda has been very successful.  It has successfully made you and many other people think that it is somehow wrong or immoral to do things that they have a natural right to do.

I want to explicitly support ICE, in a public and fair manner that builds the overall community. Not find creative ways to borrow their hard work.

As I said in a previous post when you said the same thing, nothing I said is in any way contradictory to explicitly and fairly supporting ICE or building the overall community.   I find it very disturbing that you keep falsely suggesting that it is.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2018, 03:18:12 AM »
Most of what craig says is accurate but I can add a bit to it.

So, I could create an awesome world with the greatest adventure ever written but fellow HARP enthusiasts would be hard pressed to find it. I would have to come onto the company's forums and pitch my non-sanctioned adventure skirting their rules to get any eyeballs on it. Also, considered bad form.

This is not true.

When you upload anything to the DTRPG sites you can specify which game system it is for. It is simply a tickbox for HARP/Rolemaster. Once you tick that box anyone searching for that game system will see your product listed along with all the other available titles.

In addition the DTRPG search also indexes the product description so using HARP in your product description will also add you to the results.

Try this...
This link https://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?keywords=Rolemaster&test_epoch=0&affiliate_id=730903&page=1&sort=4a will find all the Rolemaster products sorted by most recently added. The 9th entry [The Primal Order: Pawns] is not a rolemaster product and not even listed for that system but in the product description they have just listed loads of rpgs.

When I publish for Rolemaster, if I want to use a standard monster I just point people to the monster in C&T/C&M. If they want to play the adventure then they should buy/own the books. This means GMs can adjust the level and therefore the stats to meet the needs of their group. Actual numbers are almost useless in RM and probably HARP as well. Eight 3rd level orcs could crucify a starting party of five PCs as they are higher level and have superior numbers but against a party of high level characters the encounter is almost not worth breaking the dice out for.

When I include an NPC I tend not to give stats. I try not to pitch adventures to specific levels or party compositions. If you start using professions from ML or CoM then you are limiting your audience to those with those books. I try to give enough information that a GM could play the NPC but they can create the NPCs using whatever house rules they normally employ. If I need a specific spell or spell list to be known, because a fact within the adventure requires that spell to be cast, then I will note that. I do not copy entire spell lists out.

This is an NPC in a recent adventure I published
(click to show/hide)

I do create unique monsters and I have my own layout for their stats. If anything my stat blocks look more like D&D 1st edition monster stat blocks than RM ones. I didn't do this to avoid using RMs table layout but rather that the column format is easier on the eye. I don't use the multitude of short codes for scarcity and terrain as I have never liked them and I cannot remember them all.

So you can design for HARP, your product will be found amongst all the other HARP products, don't copy verbatim, develop your own style that suits your products. You will not make a living from this if you decide to charge for your products.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2018, 01:01:49 PM »
There's nothing stopping people from proposing publications and being paid by royalties if ICE likes and accepts the proposal.
The Guild Companion online magazine is also a great place to publish content and I'm sure they'd welcome quality submissions.

The problem with the first option is of course that everything has to go through Nicholas and no wants the official publications held up by dozens of small projects. BHanson's Priest King modules was accepted, written and then shelved. The official release will never see the light of day despite all the work in writing it already having been done.

Far too much happening in this thread.

Yes, there are times when I get very busy and this calendar year was unexpectedly and unpleasantly busy in the day job. Our lecturing team has doubled in size over the summer and although the new staff members are not all in post yet, I have already had a modest amount of workload reduction and have been able to make use of that.

Certain manuscripts take longer than others to process depending on length, complexity and quality. Brian Hanson's Priest-King is *not* shelved - it has moved from Terry's queue to my editing queue.

To understand the editing queue, I edited all of Colin's chapters for Bestiary finding a handful of queries where I needed his input for intent, so switched to HARP Garden of Rain mid-week and have now finished its editing pass. (Garden of Rain is a quality adventure module so not too long and not too complex.) I am now going to return to Bestiary and edit John Duffield's chapters with the expectation that I will find some queries for him. At that point, while I wait on Colin and John's answers, I will move onto Priest-King.

If folk wants to be published by us, submit a proposal. Straightforward proposals are relatively easy to vet and to give the proposer one of the standard writing contract (flat fee or royalty). I have found that the main problem is most projects don't complete or are severely delayed because life happens to freelancers.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline blueFire

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2018, 01:53:18 PM »
I publish a monthly fanzine. If you submit it to the fanzine I will pay you. I have paid craggles for his art and BHanson for his content and Kevin gave us the entire first chapter of his book to reprint to drive sales for him. Payment is all on a percentage royalty basis and the payments are made via DTRPG. It [the fanzine] is actually aimed specifically at GMs rather than players because as a paid for pdf it is easier to keep your players away from reading the ending of the adventures. You can check it out on DTRPG. If you want to publish something then don't buy it I will send you a complimentary copy.

I am about to write the 19th issue and you can send anything you want publish to weareallawesome@rolemasterblog.com
Did you have to get a license to do this fanzine?

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2018, 04:02:52 PM »
No. It is all my own work or that of the contributors.

Offline blueFire

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2019, 02:39:40 PM »
So, are there any plans to do a Content Creator Program (DTRPG) for HARP?

If not, is there a webpage showing licensing options (including any required text that needs to be put into third party products) for HARP?

Jason

Offline trechriron

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2019, 04:52:17 PM »
There has not been an official answer. As of now, there is not a program. There is some fan licensing info on the main site, but that is for free stuff.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2019, 02:16:31 AM »
There is no advantage to ICE to have anyone creating anything for RMC/RMFRP in the last few months before those systems are retired. All that could do is detract from the appeal of RMu when it is released.

The ease of conversion between HARP and RM means that HARP ends up in the same boat.

Most things do not require any kind of CCP or license unless you are directly copying from the published books. You can give bare monster or NPC stats and then direct readers to the rules with chapter, page or table. That means that your customers would need to have the books to use your setting, adventure, new professions, spells or whatever.

Offline trechriron

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2019, 04:02:35 PM »
There is no advantage to ICE ...

I think this answer is bullocks. You keep saying this but it completely misses the point. You come off as - way out of touch.

Why do other companies have licenses and content creator programs? It's about marketing, spreading the word of your company's products and building a community of creators supporting the game. Why should I support ICE with my creative efforts when there are plenty of other companies with open licenses or CC programs? Without the clout and tie-in of the company your creating for, there's no point. I would want people to know the product is compatible and thereby create buzz for both creator and IP holder.

The frequent amateur responses and conspiracy theories on this thread have demonstrated something very unfortunate for the future of HARP. Apparently it's most advent supporters are old people living in the past without any concept of how game companies are operating in the 21st century. I appreciate all the excuses, but in the end they are just excuses. It's pure uninformed hubris. Plain and simple. You don't get it. I'm pretty sure I could pound this screen 1000 times and you still wouldn't get it. To bad. HARP is a great game no one is playing. Maybe everyone here will wake up and do something about it but I'm not holding my breath.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2019, 05:33:34 PM »
One of the biggest challenges facing ICE is to encourage the existing user base of RM in all its flavours to move over to the new system. On one hand you have GMs with all the books and companions and their own worlds and everything working perfectly. On the other you have a brand new system with just the core books and little or no support material.

Getting people to jump from the old to the new will be hard. If at the same time you have a flow of new community titles for the old systems you are effectively breathing new life into old at the expense of the new.

I create from a wide range of systems. I create for 7th Sea, Shadow of The Demon Lord, Zweihänder and Cypher System under their Community Content programmes. I create for FUDGE and Rolemaster under my own imprint. Under the CCP I am only getting 50% of the sale price. Under my own imprint I get 70%.

My own games are a different journey and are apparently more popular in Italy than in the US. They are currently in translation by the Italian gaming community and I am exploring compatibility licensing. I will eventually create a CCP for but right now the sales volume is too low to qualify for an OBS powered CCP. I do not even know if HARP would qualify to have a CCP on OBS if that is what you were thinking of.

So I see things from three sides. I am a games publisher with fans who want to create content for my games. I am an indie developer creating content for other people's games and I am a RM fan, and HARP, that wants the best possible outcome for ICE.

Online marketing is also a big part of my day job which is part of why I keep banging on about RMu and marketing.

Offline Siltoneous

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2019, 09:41:52 PM »
I think this answer is bullocks. You keep saying this but it completely misses the point. You come off as - way out of touch.
I don't think that anyone would disagree with your points regarding CCP's in general; I certainly wouldn't.  And more than a few of us (both on and off these boards) have made the exact same points you have made ( Issue 22 anyone?  ;) ).

That said, I also hear more than a ring-of-truth to the observation about husbanding your resources and using them as wisely as you can. As you say (and we all know), it's a big, vast gaming world out there. It's quite easy to see the new release of a storied gaming tradition sinking beneath the RPG waves, never be seen again.  We've got lots of examples of exactly that happening.  So, although I too dearly wish there was a formal CCP, I'm willing to bid my time. Give ICE a chance to get the new product out, get it in the hands of reviewers, generate some buzz, and hope for the best while they catch their breath.  Lots of hard work has gone into the product, no need to squander it by doing too many disparate things at once.

However, you are absolutely correct to point out that gaming world has changed, and changed drastically. The days of all product being handed down from on high, with no meaningful way for the community to contribute is long, long past. Modern gamers simply won't put up with it. No company, no matter how large, can provide everything a gaming community needs or wants. Funneling that community enthusiasm through a CCP has been shown to work, and when done well, everyone wins.  Too many smart people involved in this effort for that not to have been realized by now. =)
"All right, move on! Nothing to see here! Please disperse!" Frank Drebin, Police Squad

Offline blueFire

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2019, 08:59:20 PM »
There is no advantage to ICE to have anyone creating anything for RMC/RMFRP in the last few months before those systems are retired. All that could do is detract from the appeal of RMu when it is released.

The ease of conversion between HARP and RM means that HARP ends up in the same boat.

Does this mean that HARP is also going to be retired when RMu is released?

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2019, 09:39:16 PM »
Does this mean that HARP is also going to be retired when RMu is released?
I can't imagine that happening. They really are aimed at two different types of gamer IMO.

They are similar systems, but HARP is much more toned down in the rules department.
HARP does not satisfy my TTRPG wants. I need the added detail and customization of RMSS.

- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2019, 12:28:50 AM »
JDale has also used HARP as one of the design limits for RMu. Where easier mechanics were suggested they were rejected as they would have encroached on HARP's territory.

ICE's plan will continue to be detailed and gritty equals RM, fast and easy equals HARP.