Author Topic: Question about fatigue/exhaustion  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Radimon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Question about fatigue/exhaustion
« on: July 22, 2018, 04:22:39 PM »
Are there any rules about fatigue/exhaustion? The only ones I've been able to find are in regard to running (page 30, left column), not for other intense activities (long-term fighting, heavy labor, etc.). I know Folkways has the Hardiness talent, which increases someone's endurance to truly superhuman levels... but again, only extended movement is mentioned, not other forms of exertion.
Murphy's Law says 'Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.'

I think Murphy was an incurable optimist.

Offline Radimon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Question about fatigue/exhaustion
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 03:14:57 PM »
Wow, ten days without any sort of response. Absolute lack of interest, huh?
Murphy's Law says 'Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.'

I think Murphy was an incurable optimist.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 03:48:35 PM »
It is the dog days of summer; the boards are pretty dead at this time of the year. Sorry i can't help you; i don't play HARP.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 06:39:10 PM »
I haven't looked at it a long time but as far as I can remember there is no exhaustion rule in HARP.

This is a case where you use your common sense in deciding how long characters can keep up strenuous activities, other than running.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 08:54:49 AM »
Also, ICE forums tend to be pretty slow anyway, unless it's a hot topic that lots of people want to weigh in on. Other than the pace chart for Hardiness, I don't recall seeing anything about it. I will use down time to see if I find anything.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline movalmedic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 10:58:43 AM »
I haven't looked at it a long time but as far as I can remember there is no exhaustion rule in HARP.

This is a case where you use your common sense in deciding how long characters can keep up strenuous activities, other than running.
A very fit person can maintain a moderately heavy work load for as long as an hour.  Where as it would be easy to imagine that an unhealthy person would be exhausted in as little as 15 minutes.  I would start at 1/2 con in minutes doing moderately heavy work.  I'd define moderately heavy as running at a moderate pace, marching in armor or climbing stairs.  You could formulate a chart from there.  Maybe start at -25M for every level of exhaustion.  I haven't used the system much yet but these numbers are based in reality and seem to make sense as a starting point.  Also, if a person can go 50 minutes with a con of 100 or 15 minutes with a con of 30, they's need the remainder of that hour to recover.  i.e. healthy people recover faster.  I hope that helps.  I know it can be frustrating when nobody seems to be listening to your questions.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 03:20:33 PM »
I've been away (in wrong timezone) and came back to a stint as Acting Dean.

We don't have rules yet for non-running effort. Starting from the running rules is probably the thing to do.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 03:41:26 PM »
I've been away (in wrong timezone) and came back to a stint as Acting Dean.

We don't have rules yet for non-running effort. Starting from the running rules is probably the thing to do.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Any mention of University Deans makes me think discworld.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...