Author Topic: Crossovers: weapon range increment measurement conversions are off  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I was working on how to convert Imperial and Metric based on weapon range increments. So I figured I'd compare the RIs of weapons that are listed in both Fantasy and SF. The weapon of choice was the Long Bow.

RI Fantasy: 80 ft.
RI SF: 28 m.

I knew there had to be some kind of rounding for convenience, but checking against conversions I can't even trust either the core books to come close to lining up with each other. Maybe I need to check another weapon that exists in both books, but:

80 ft. to m.: 24 (rounded)
28 m. to ft.: 92 (rounded)

One idea I had was to round to the nearest multiple of 5, which is still wrong. Of course, maybe the SF long bows are just better. For now, I'll just use conversion to the nearest 10ths place, which is still wrong, but closer. This is a bit concerning as there are a lot of ranged weapons I need to know RI for in both measurement systems.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Crossovers: weapon range increment measurement conversions are off
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 12:57:08 PM »
I just found the conversions for the Composite Bow are actually close to right.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 01:03:15 PM »
Necro'd because I'm thinking about this again. 1. Thank you Excel for the Convert function, no more looking up Imperial to Metric or vice versa for me., 2. Since HARP SF came out before HARP Fantasy, I'm wondering if I should use the RI for SF medieval weapons and convert from that to feet, or perhaps have multiple versions of the weapon, i.e., "Bow, Long (SF)" and "Bow, Long (F)"?
#LotorAllura2024

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 03:10:10 PM »
Choose which one you and your players are most comfortable with.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme