Author Topic: HARP Folkways  (Read 14289 times)

Offline Radimon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: HARP Folkways
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2018, 11:38:12 AM »
Again, I'd never heard of fate points until you mentioned them the other day. Belaboring the point that using them would have been helpful is meaningless, flogging a dead horse.

In answer to your question, the stun penalty no, the critical penalty yes. My GM said that the effects of the stun itself don't apply to trying to shake it off. (Thank goodness!)

That said, with 'only' a +29 stamina roll to start with (5 from faleeka, 4 from constitution, 20 from ranks in the stamina resistance skill), a -10 penalty from the critical (doubled to -20, courtesy of hollow bones), and a -10 penalty to resist the stun because hollow bones also extended the 1 round of stun into 2...

Well, let's just say resisting the stun would absolutely require getting over 95, and then not having bad luck on the second roll.

And by the way, you sound like you're a much nicer (or at least more competent) GM than mine. Still, the reason I was wearing soft leather is because I had weight other than my armor, like weapons, supplies, a frontpack (which is a backpack worn backwards... you know, because of the wings). And plus, I knew if we got any loot, I would have to carry some of it, and that potential weight loomed pretty heavily on my mind (and wings)!

*SIGH!* I didn't even live long enough to get any loot...
Murphy's Law says 'Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.'

I think Murphy was an incurable optimist.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2018, 11:44:07 AM »
Oh I made my share of poor decisions, adversarial approach, and other bad GMing habits as I grew as a gamer.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2018, 09:03:45 AM »
Should characters with the Sailor profession get +10 on Linguistics checks peppered with profanity?
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Radimon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2018, 12:18:52 PM »
+10 at level 1, increasing to +20 at level 5 and +30 at level 10. After all, it's a professional ability. *Scribbles it into the description of the profession, and then shows it to you.*

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2018, 10:51:14 PM »
Swears Like A: Sailors gain +10 bonus on any Spoken Linguistics skill when using copious amounts of profanity at first level, and every 5 levels thereafter. Maximum +30.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2019, 09:00:22 AM »
I know I should have mentioned this a while ago. Folkways Training Packages also have a habit of giving too few skill ranks. A couple of them, Envenomers comes to mind, give 1 rank in a specific skill instead of the normal minimum of 2.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Radimon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2019, 01:46:52 PM »
Yeah, and others give 6 or more. My GM takes the ones in the official rulebooks and tweaks them a little. Just add a rank to the ones that have just a single rank, or dropping to 5 the ones that have more than that. That shouldn't cause too much of a stir.

By the way, our game has a MMO-like Adventurer's Guild, and they offer this one (with a couple of exceptions, all these skills are General or Physical, so almost all professions pay the same cost for it!):

Adventurer's Guild Continuing Training Package
Endurance, 3 ranks
Perception, 3 ranks
Resistance (Stamina), 2 ranks
Resistance (Will), 2 ranks
Resistance (Magic), 2 ranks
Weapons Skills (one of choice) OR Martial Arts (Strikes, Sweeps, or Style), 2 ranks
Appraisal OR Healing OR Herbalism OR one Lore (e.g.: monsters, ancient ruins, common spells, magic items, etc.), 2 ranks

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2019, 08:46:57 AM »
If you're talking about Nestorians, you're supposed to split Charm and Storytelling ranks among the 7. Following the TP guidelines that gives you either 2 and 5 or 3 and 4.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Radimon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2019, 02:31:14 PM »
I'm away from my books at the moment, but I remember that in Folkways, specifically, the Hark Singers TP gives 6 ranks in singing. I seem to remember there were a couple more in another book (college of magic, maybe?), although I'll have to wait until later to find them.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2019, 11:18:36 AM »
Yeah, a lot of Folkways TPs seem to have been built on holdover information or ignoring TP guidelines. For the Ululators, I'd lower the singing from 6 to 5 and raise Public Speaking to 4.
#LotorAllura2024