Author Topic: an old wanderer returns  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
an old wanderer returns
« on: May 08, 2015, 10:22:43 PM »
Hi all

Its been several years since I was last active on the boards ... I've lost a job; gained (and lost) another one; gotten divorced; emigrated from Ireland to North Carolina; gotten married (two weeks ago!); and I am finally starting to feel able to think about gaming again!

Does anyone have any suggestions for online forums/google hangouts/etc ? I'm due to relocate from Brevard (wnc) to the Raleigh/Durham area sometime in the next two-three months, so getting into a ftf game now wouldn't really work :(

Cormac

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: an old wanderer returns
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 11:40:31 PM »
The Atari Temple of Elemental Evil tht came out for PC in 03.  A group called The Circle of Eight finally made the game AMAZING with last release in 2013, so it runs with 7 and 8.1.  There is also a Keep on the Border Lands module that is DLC quality.  Looting is bout as anal as it gets, but is part of the book keeping charm of playing DnD 3.5.  It will quench your needs and leave you around for the old ball and chain.

Congrats again bro, and welcome back.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 07:56:30 AM »
Thanks Yamma :)

Offline tulgurth

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 08:13:40 AM »
Welcome back.  I like to use Rpol.net for my forum style gaming.  Rolemaster is not a big game there, but they are there.  Real role playing.com is another option.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 08:57:40 PM »
Well Come Back, Cormac.

I live in Durham, NC, now myself.  Like you I lost my old after the work was completed (laid-off).

I have been wanting to play some RPGs ftf, but not having a vehicle makes it difficult at best.

As tulgurth said, I have used realroleplaying.com to play pbp.  But with the mapping job I had in the Great Smokey Mountains, I was unable to continue due to the fact that were mapping in places where there were no signals.  And by the time we got back to the hotel, I was too tired to logon.  Mostly we would simply drink an ale or two or three to put us to sleep for the next day.  And when we were home, we were only there a day, maybe a day and half, then we had to travel back out.

I have been talking to about three persons who seem interested in learning RPGs.  The only turn off is that it can take several days to get characters created since these guys are complete newbies.  They have never played a RPG ever.

Good Luck.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 09:01:13 AM »
Durham is close enough to where I'll probably end up ... but the great american bureaucracy is squashing my ability to relocate just now so it could be august before I'm there.

I generally do pre-gens, at least when introducing newbies to the game. Starting at level one ... by the time they are hitting level five the guys will have customized their character nicely (or killed it and created a new one).

I'm spending the next month or so working on two personal projects:
1. A non-game related Genealogy project (it currently has more than 28 thousand individuals, most of whom are associated with multiple census records)
2. A series of two or three page character pieces, which together build up a picture of a new setting I'd run if I can get a group together. If you'd like to read them, I can email them to you either as Open Office (odt) or pdf files as I get them completed. The first one is nearly done (they take several days each).

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 09:47:25 AM »
For example:

Here is one intro (136kb pdf file) ... read it over and see what you think.

Offline chippermonks

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 09:47:25 PM »
welcome back, I've had great luck with google hangout games if you have an old group of friends to re-invite to the rolemaster front :)

I wish you the best of luck in gaming and life in general!

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 07:17:25 AM »
Welcome back.
I have also had great luck introducing new roleplayers to the hobby via RM. Some of them had pre-gens in another adventure, others were thrown into the deep end with my current campaign.

I'm out that way at least once a year. My wife is from a small town in-btwn Raleigh and Charlotte, though her parents have recently moved to SC.
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 02:27:19 AM »
here's the second teaser file

not sure how long moderation takes ... but hopefully someone will like it

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 03:55:14 AM »
Cormac Doyle,
 You may also want to contact the Guild Companion as I thin they would love to include your fiction in their mag.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 12:16:25 AM »
Cormac Doyle,
 You may also want to contact the Guild Companion as I thin they would love to include your fiction in their mag.
MDC

Definitely, dude.

I am finally working on editing and proofing a novella I wrote about 32 years ago.  Never realized I have never looked at again in that long.  Wrote while aboard ship in the US Navy.  My wife, while she was still alive, digitized it, but never tried to publish it.

Hopefully, I can get it to a publishable state, then I will give it to GC to see if they will publish it.

Keep going strong dude.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 10:17:42 AM »
I remember in '98/'99, the Guild companion frequently had 10 or more articles every month ... its been sad to see the low submission rate recently.

I'm gonna see if I can put something together ...

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 10:03:10 AM »
Welcome back Cormac,

I had also been gone for a long time before joining these boards again.  I think you will find a lot has changed since the old days.  Looking forward to reading your submissions.
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!