Author Topic: Out Reach to the Gaming community for Tech writting class.  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Harp4Ron

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Out Reach to the Gaming community for Tech writting class.
« on: April 15, 2015, 03:38:51 PM »
To start If this post is inappropriate for these boards I am sorry and take it down immediately please.

I need to get a hundred people to take this survey for a tech writing class. I know that the role playing community are a bunch of good people so i figure that the would not have a problem. The survey is on bullies and is a short ten questions. Doing this project brought back memories. I remember being bullied for the sure fact that I played role playing games and carried a dice bag on my belt loop while I was in Jr. High and High school. I even get a bit of frowns when people hear about me playing these games at 44 years old. I have my wife and kids and a gaggle of the kids playing the games now...but still a man this old should not be playing such games is what some say......This is what allowed me to come up with the survey for that class... Any help would be great....and once more if this is not appropriate the I apologize.

The link is on survey monkey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CVQ6RSX

Thanks

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Out Reach to the Gaming community for Tech writting class.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 07:45:04 PM »
Do you want the questions beyond #1 answered from the viewpoint of firsthand or do we include witnesses/know of?
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Harp4Ron

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 03:46:25 AM »
The questions I put forth are based on personal experience of the survey taker...thanks for the question..and considering taking the survey

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 01:37:43 PM »
No problem having the survey out there, though it really isn't about Bullying in Gaming....
Best of luck with the class.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Harp4Ron

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 02:02:50 PM »
Thank you for the go ahead, and I apologize for not clearing first...

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 04:33:07 PM »
I think it's relevant to a good number of the RPG'ing community, just maybe not so much today as opposed to 20 years ago.  I doubt bullying is much better or worse in person, but I think the online bullying is worse due to the fact that it is largely 'out of sight' of adults.  We don't even want to get into GamerGate.

In my primary group of Highschool friends (25 years ago - although we all are still local and hang out regularly) many were/are tabletop gamers and while we were not a group to bully we often came to the defense of those who were.  Best one ever was one of the lead wrestling team members who thought he'd bully one of the more nerdy kids.  Got his butt kicked.  One of his teammates tried to stop it but I grabbed the collar of his jacket as he moved past me.  He looked at me and I just shook my head and said "Huh uh."
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 10:50:43 AM »
I did not mean to suggest it wasn't of interest, just that the questions were not Gaming specific.  More general bullying related.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Harp4Ron

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 04:04:51 AM »
You are right about questions being no game specific.My intention was to focus on more gaming bullying...but I even to this day I feel very weird about advertising to a group of strangers that i am a role player...most assume that i am into some sexual stuff with my wife ..they just don't get it ..lo :o

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 12:23:05 PM »
For what it's worth, I'll tell you a slightly funny story that might relate a little bit.  So, many of us are used to the "You play Dungeons & Dragons?" along with an odd look.  I was at work one day talking to co-worker who does LARPing and another co-worker, who we 'knew' (in so far as you do at work) sit down to eat with us.  We didn't know it a the time, but she was fairly religious.

As we were talking she said "But don't those games have devils and demons in them?"  She wasn't talking down to us, it was just more a non-judging, subtle 'that's bad' manner.

I replied "So does the bible."

To which, thankfully, she stopped and thought about it and said "Huh, you're right.  No offense, I just see those games as a little weird."

I said "That's ok, 'normal' people think the Table Top gamers are weird, many of the Table Top gamers think the LARPers are weird, and who do the LARPers think are weird Matt? (the co-worker who LARPs).

His reply, while nodding, was "Normal people."

It's funny, but a lot of the time it's true.  Even within our own 'hobby' we look a bit askance at each other in some cases. ;)
- Cory Magel

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 09:43:27 PM »
It's funny, but a lot of the time it's true.  Even within our own 'hobby' we look a bit askance at each other in some cases. ;)

Well, that's well documented... http://brunching.com/images/geekchartbig.gif

(Footnote: I can't believe that's from 2002. I first saw it when it was first published.)
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Harp4Ron

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 09:55:07 PM »

I would like to thank all who helped my out with this project, and I would send a special thanks for allowing me to use this forum to post the link..

Thank You All

Ron Lattimer

P.S The paper is done so the survey is done also ...

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 11:16:33 AM »
Oh well...

Looks like I am late again.  Still did the survey.

Why not do another survey with more RPGing relevance?

Might be interesting to see about that one.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.