Author Topic: Mayhem in Indiana  (Read 4183 times)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Mayhem in Indiana
« on: March 24, 2015, 07:33:22 PM »
The governor of Indiana has indicated that he is ready to sign a bill that would allow business owners to discriminate against LGBT customers.

The officials at GenCon responded by sending a message to the governor:  If you sign this bill, we will have no choice but to move GenCon  out of Indiana.  (This would be a huge blow to the state tourism industry)
Regardless of where you stand on this issue, things are about to get interesting.

(Source: "Shaintar" author Sean Patrick Fannon)
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Mayhem in Indiana
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 09:41:17 PM »
deleted.  I will try to repost later.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 02:38:47 AM »
It's too bad the contract is through 2020.  I have my doubts if they'd be willing to break the contract and the Gov probably doesn't give a hoot what happens in four years (he likely won't even be in office anymore).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 12:41:05 PM »
news story

This is how Indianapolis is covering the story.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 01:16:04 PM »
 Very interesting and if the law does pass I would love to see how the economics works out in the long run. But if I were to guess I think that since we are entering a USA presidential election cycle that the law will pass and if more such laws are passed then it will head to the USA's Supreme Court.
 As a side note here is Oregon a judgement was recently upheld for a baker that would not bake a cake a LGBT couple and I have heard of such laws being proposed in response to that ruling. 
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 01:18:58 PM »
The legal basis is a bit strange. Both supporters and opponents of the RFRA have made the claim that it will allow businesses to refuse to do business with gays and lesbians. There's no case law or precedent that supports that claim, though, and ultimately it may not actually be true. (RFRA laws have long existed at the federal level and in 19 states, so there was opportunity.) But after Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc., there is a lot of uncertainty about how else RFRA might be applied, and both the rush to pass RFRA laws in 11 more states and the pushback against them (which never existed before) presumably comes from that.

That does mean it might be hard to find a state to move to that does not have an RFRA already though....  Where do you move a big con like this? Chicago? Illinois passed their RFRA in 1998, before it was an issue. Florida did that same year. Maybe San Diego? It passed but was vetoed in California.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_Freedom_Restoration_Act and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burwell_v._Hobby_Lobby_Stores,_Inc. are useful to anyone interested.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 01:52:21 PM »
I really think the intent of these laws is horrible.  It's essentially taking us back in time.  They're legally justifying prejudice.  If you run a public business you should be required to serve people who are not breaking a law so long as they are not harmful to your business.  I've seen places claim that they are afraid of those they are prejudice against.  Afraid how?  Do they think associating with a homosexual customer is going to make them homosexual?  Seriously.

In the Oregon case they showed the woman in tears because they lost their business as a result of the publicity.  She might have won her case, but she lost her business as a result of her publicized beliefs.  I really like the karma there.  She learned her bigotry has a price.  You can tell the world what you think, but be careful that the world doesn't learn that what you think is prejudice and spiteful.  What ended up being harmful to her business?  Her.  Touche I say.

Any business can refuse the right to serve anyone without needing to provide a reason.  Situations like this, where we are validating hateful reasoning, do not do anything other than promote that hate... because they are free to refuse service without giving a reason.  But when you publicly voice an opinion you had better be prepared for the world to judge you based on that opinion.

On the Hobby Lobby thing, I think that's a stupid one also.  It's the result of this "Businesses are people" BS.  No, they are not.  They were made so for political reasons and that reason is so that they can work around political contribution rules.
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 01:59:15 PM »
Lets stop the political discussion right here.  This is not the forum for it.
If you want to comment about the possibility of Gencon moving that's fine - but this will not become a battleground between left and right wing views on the topic of whether or not the business should be allowed to refuse to serve someone. 

Consider this a general warning to everyone.  Thank you!
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 02:12:17 PM »
Yeah, probably a good idea. :)

Considering how much discussion goes on about moving the Convention somewhere else (due to growth) and the results of those discussions being GenCon stating they have not found a better location I'm a little curious how serious they are.  Don't get me wrong, I know Peter personally as a passing acquaintance and I know he and the people that work with him all seem like good people who do support what they are saying... but when it comes down to brass tacks, while I would stop short of calling this a publicity stunt (cause I really don't think it is), I wonder if  they are truly willing to back it up.

If you follow GenCon at all and read the forums, moving the Con is a constant topic of debate.  GenCon themselves have pretty consistently said they don't see a better option.  I don't know if I 100% agree with that, but I'm taking their word for it since they obviously know WAY more about the logistics than I do.  They are also likely gun-shy about moving the Con too far away due to the failures of the other GenCon offshoots.  So, do their political/moral beliefs trump their concerns with the logistics and costs of other locations?  And, will anyone even remember this conversation in 2020?
- Cory Magel

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 02:28:25 PM »
Being a million-mile flyer with American Airlines, I vote for Dallas. :)  Or if that's too big of a city, Charlotte.
Otherwise, it doesn't matter to me.  (Of course, New York would be convenient but probably way too expensive)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 03:03:16 PM »
Oh man, the debate about location goes on and on in the GenCon forums.  I participated for a while, but eventually gave up.  So many people don't understand the business side of things, making completely unreasonable suggestions either out of ignorance or selfishness, and GenCon steadfastly refuses to discuss it in any real detail.  I don't blame them either from both a business standpoint (making waves with the city organizers, although they've completely done that in this situation) or from a trying to control a mob of shouting customers standpoint.

The only arguments against certain locations that I fully agree with is the fact that the East Coast has much higher population density (a lot of people drive in rather than have to fly) and there are politics in regards to the labor pool in some locations (labor unions mucking things up).  If it were not for those factors there are a few locations I can think of that would work really well.  So, it's going to stay on the East Coast no matter what I suspect, but as to the city... it comes down to a very large, very combined event location and a large number of hotels within walking distance (although your opinion of 'walking distance' might vary).

For example, Vegas seems like a good idea to many... even me at first.  I believe the hotel situation is better overall and it's far cheaper than many locations to fly to, however if you spread events out you make it much more difficult to get from one event to another quickly, which would not be popular.  It's one of the locations that there are labor politics involved with if I remember right.  It's also not in a location that allows near as many people to drive to... there's just no getting away from the East Coast on that count.
- Cory Magel

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 03:21:58 PM »
I don't see Vegas working because it's a different kind of environment - lights, shows, excitement...
Gencon is more about hanging out and gaming (at least the one I went to was...)
I agree about East Coast, but you need to avoid the big cities (NY, Philadelphia, Boston, Washington DC, as well as the state of Florida).

Atlanta doesn't seem like a good fit to me.
Baltimore is an interesting option, as would be Charlotte, NC.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 04:24:38 PM »
The #1 issue is proximity to population.  Obviously the East Coast is the place.  As much as I'd love for it to be in Seattle (GenCon's home town no less) or even California you won't get anywhere near as many of the car travelers to come even if all the current West Coast non-attendees started going.  The East Coast sits at around 38% of the US population and the West Coast around 16% (gulf coast is about 12%).  The East Coast is also easier to fly into from Europe and while that's not a huge number it is more than the rest of parts of the world.  End result, if it left the East Coast it would almost be a guaranteed drop in attendance.

The #2 issue is finding a venue that has the space.  You need to be able to reasonably walk from one event to another within say, 10mins time or so.   Just GenCon's merchant room is over 200,000 sq ft (about 3 1/2 football fields), which is packed (and some companies choose to use a separate room).  The convention center has 1.3M sq ft, although I believe that includes the stadium, which has not been used yet (it's under 190,000 sq feet though).

The #3 issue is finding a VERY large number of hotel rooms within a reasonable distance.   I'm just going to say, within 8 blocks.  There are venues that have more closer, but the outer perimeter may not and you have to find this after you find a convention center big enough.

The #4 issue is the local unions.  This is more of a cost issue and a dislike of the gaming companies to not be able to handle their own logistics.  A few locations that would work have been shot down because the labor has to be done by local workers due to unions.  So you aren't allowed to do your own setup and tear-down, you have to use the local labor (which costs).

Now, #1 through #3 have some possibilities... but #4 comes down to a question of additional cost.  So, it might come down to is GenCon willing and able to pay for their stance?
- Cory Magel

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 05:33:01 PM »
 I will vote for anyplace outside the state of Texas. ;D
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 06:27:03 PM »
London. Much easier to get to.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 06:38:16 PM »
London works for me and the GCP and Aurigas teams

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 06:47:31 PM »
Grand Rapids, MI. 
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Jinor

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 01:52:02 AM »
London would be great.
Non Nobis Solum Nati Sumus

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 02:36:50 AM »
Hmmm.  London.  I might be able to deal with that.  I'd just combine a trip to Europe in general with GenCon.  I do both about every 4-5 years... so that might just kill two birds with one stone.

But, if we're daydreaming here, why wouldn't GenCon just do it in the same city as their offices.  So I happen to live there too.  Just sayin'.
- Cory Magel

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 04:30:37 AM »
 If we are dreaming I vote for the moon, space station,a group of cruise ships in convoy or the bottom of the sea.  ;D
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.