Author Topic: If There Were a Shadow World Card Game?  (Read 1235 times)

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
If There Were a Shadow World Card Game?
« on: March 10, 2015, 07:22:54 AM »
How would it be played? With Paizo recently having gone into cards on Drive Thru Cards, this had me wondering.

There is certainly no shortage of items, locations, characters and organisations to use, but what would be the point of such a card game (in game terms anyway).

The only card game I ever actually purchased was INWO, and the point of that was world domination. Not exactly suitable in this case.

I'm not totally sure what you are intended to achieve in the Pathfinder Card Game - I think you can basically use them to play an adventure, only with cards, but the starter boxes cost rather more than I fancy paying just to see what they do.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline DragonReborn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Bladestorm Tabletop
Re: If There Were a Shadow World Card Game?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 03:05:31 PM »
Does it have to be a card game? There may be some applications that can help a game master. What about loot cards? When preparing a campaign or a single gaming session I always take time to create and print out loot papers (I think I uploaded one or two of them here somewhere). Those things take a great amount of time BUT they are a lot of fun. Watch players peer suspiciously at each other when somebody starts to read the special powers of "his" loot. "Oh, that's just some old book. I'll flip it for some coins at the next market!"

I don't think a card game would be helpful. BUT, what about offering PoD decks with the items from Creatures and Treasures I,II and III?

That C&TIII smoke armor can be a really handy thing. Hand it out to players and get it back once they used it up. Ready for another time...
Sebastian Klapdor
MX Bladestorm Dev
=========================================================
MX Homepage http://www.bladestorm.mx
facebook page http://www.facebook.com/BladestormTabletop
=========================================================

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 05:24:23 AM »
Yes, there are card options that could be useful - I think someone is designing some for HARP - but I was thinking of an actual game, rather than GM aids.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 06:43:49 AM »
 A person was designing spell cards for HARP.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Arc

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 04:18:22 PM »
Interesting question. Personally I never got into the gaming cards. I regarded them as immature compared to "real" role playing (maybe goes to prove my ignorance and pretension) . But now that my kids are getting into their tweens, I was considering different options to mold them into future PC's. Myself, I got hooked through a mix of Tolkiens works, the Lone Wolf single player books, and the almost accidental purchase of MERP. When I started, adventure card games didn't even exist, but I thought they could be good potential RPG hooks for my kids. I ended up doing some research on what card games are out there and what I could potentially buy for my kids. Found some nice reviews and material on the dice tower (so shoutout to them).

I personally think a collaborative game (like Fantasy Flight's The Lord of the Rings Card Game) could be a good format for Shadow World (where a 1-4 players collaborate to play through different scenarios and objectives). The players could be using a number of different hero cards (like different Loremasters, different Navigators, other heroic NPC's, custom generated heroes, etc.) to battle the Unlife and its various minions. This could be made up of multiple scenarios or expansion packs, with the ultimate one being Andraax and his companions battling vs. Ondoval and his minions over the control of the Eyes of Utha.

Of course this could be made as a head to head card game as well, but personally I think the collaborative approach is a little bit more like role playing, so my vote would go for a format like this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk