Author Topic: Armour & weapon creation  (Read 914 times)

Offline Newbie

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Armour & weapon creation
« on: September 12, 2013, 03:25:40 AM »
So I have been looking through Martial Law at the rules on the different materials and their bonuses however i can't seem to find anything that eludes to how difficult it is for the crafter to create said items.

The only thing I have found is that for improved items to be crafted 20 or more ranks are required and for Master items to be crafted it requires 40 or more ranks, but nothing on what the crafter needs to score on his attempt to craft this items.

Can someone please point me in the direction of what I hope I am simply missing??

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
Re: Armour & weapon creation
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 11:14:08 AM »
My reading of Martial Law indicates that the simple high quality alloys and like can be made as a regular quality (no rank requirement) item, an improved quality (20 rank requirement), or a master quality (40 rank requirement) item.

The magical materials all require a master quality (40 rank requirement) and that bonus is included in the tables already (see the note on page 48).

I don't believe I've seen any skill check penalties named for creating these items, but I personally would be tempted to call an improved item a Very Hard check (-40), while a Master quality item would be a Sheer Folly check (-80).

Using these penalties and some fairly typical numbers, a craftsman just barely skilled enough to work the materials would be looking at for improved {(20 ranks = +70) + 10 for a profession bonus to a key skill + 10 for good but not exceptional stat bonuses - 40 for the difficulty = 50 + the roll}.  That is about a 50/50 chance of success on a all-or-nothing check (but I still prefer to use percentage checks for this type of activity).

For a Master quality item it would be {(40 ranks = +90) + 10 for profession bonus + 10 for talents bonus + 10 for stats -80 for difficulty = 40 + the roll}.  A pretty similar level of difficulty.  And honestly anyone this good is going to have higher quality tools and workspace available to give additional bonuses too.

Well that is my 2cp on this issue, your results may vary.

-Pyrotech

-Pyrotech

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
Re: Armour & weapon creation
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 02:25:10 PM »
Part of the answer lies in Loot: A Field Guide. There you can find details about the creation process for many kinds of magical items. You can also find rules for magical enchantment in College of Magic. Unfortunately, I was unable to find anything about crafting non magical. items.  :(
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.