Author Topic: A More Rolemaster-like Combat System for HARP: Feedback?  (Read 2402 times)

Online Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
A More Rolemaster-like Combat System for HARP: Feedback?
« on: November 09, 2012, 02:49:10 AM »
Hi,

I'd be happy about feedback on the A More Rolemaster-like Combat System for HARP article in the November issue.

Thanks

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
Re: A More Rolemaster-like Combat System for HARP: Feedback?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 09:42:41 PM »
So YOU are the author?!? Didn't know your real name, that's why I'm surprised. I will give feedback as soon as I can.
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Online Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 03:20:52 AM »
Yes, I am the author of that article. And it's great to get some feedback  :).

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 06:40:49 AM »
I don't have to read it to answer you: No.

In fact, I have dabbled in making RM combat more HARP-like, with one roll to determine everything. I have come to like that much more than the 2-rool mechanic RM uses.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Online Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 08:50:10 AM »
RandalThor, thanks for the feedback anyway, even if I had hoped for a bit more detailed input on the system itself. If you prefer one-roll attack resolution, then the system probably is nothing for you.

We OTOH found the second roll for the critical not really an issue since a) it gets necessary only if an attack successfully delivers a critical - which should be the clear minority of the attacks - and b) rolling the dice and looking up a critical, without any math involved, is IMO not prolonging combat resolution in any meaningful way and c) for us the second critical roll even adds to the thrill of combat. Of course, if none of these points is valid for you or your players, then better stick to one-roll attack resolution.

YMMV