Author Topic: SM:2 Character used in SM:P  (Read 1692 times)

Offline rustorod

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
SM:2 Character used in SM:P
« on: October 22, 2012, 03:20:08 PM »
Has anyone converted some of the different classes from SM:2 to Privateers?

Thanks.
Mike

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: SM:2 Character used in SM:P
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:20:29 AM »
I have, but I do not have papers handy.  If your question is also asking about the difficulty of converting, then it is relatively easy.  However, I have always found the best way is to do it is the "hard" way.  Simply redevelop the character in a profession that is the same or very similar to the same level.

Otherwise, I must ask for further elaboration, please.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline rustorod

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 05:11:28 PM »
I was thinking of using some or any of the classes from SM:2, but using the mechanics of SM:P.  If you had conversion notes that would be helpful. If not I might stick with SP:2 til maybe the SM:U discussions start.

Thanks.
Mike

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 10:44:48 AM »
 I have done some with SM:P and Traveler but I do not have any notes left as it was back in the early 2000's.
 I liked the Traveler Starships; crew requirements, life support, weapons, just space of equipment, etc.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline rustorod

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 04:29:12 PM »
I have a lot of Traveller and Judges Guild stuff for Traveller.  I'll probably use those along with the SM:1&2 modules and come up with a string of adventures for my kids.  They like playing old school AD&D and want to try some sci fi.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 09:55:20 AM »
I was thinking of using some or any of the classes from SM:2, but using the mechanics of SM:P.  If you had conversion notes that would be helpful. If not I might stick with SP:2 til maybe the SM:U discussions start.

Thanks.
Mike

I never did any profession conversions.  However, the best advice I can give on this is to find a SMP profession that is close to the SM2 profession and apply logical reasoning on varying the DP costs.  I am fairly certain that skills in SM2 can be grouped like they are in SMP.  Compare the DP costs for the skills in SM2 to the DP costs for skill groups/categories in SMP.

I'll take a look comparing what SM2 stuff I have with the SMP and see what else I can come up with to help.  Just give me some time since my RL plate is almost overflowing as is.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.