Author Topic: Roleplay with Tech at the Table  (Read 4445 times)

Offline LonePaladin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Roleplay with Tech at the Table
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 02:14:36 AM »
I use my tablet with copies of the rules on it. I have added hundreds of links to the contents page and every other page has a small link back to the contents. I would challenge anyone to beat this method for a rule or tablet look up, using links or search function.
I would LOVE to have a copy of that, especially if there's a way to edit the contents or add notes to cover the errata (which I'm reformatting).

I can attest that I have a physical copy of the SM:P rules, as that was what I won in the 30th Anniversary contest.

Offline bennis1980

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 02:56:03 AM »
Of course I'd love to share it with you, but it's watermarked and I don't think the boys at GCP would love me to share it.

That said, if I can make an appeal to the guys at the top, having links included in most, if not all, of their PDFs would make them an asset to have.

Offline daemonire

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 06:08:17 AM »
Of course I'd love to share it with you, but it's watermarked and I don't think the boys at GCP would love me to share it.

That said, if I can make an appeal to the guys at the top, having links included in most, if not all, of their PDFs would make them an asset to have.

I have kinda the same deal, but with word documents. Edited everything to house links and eratta and house rules and such... Formatted the way I like... Removed the pretty pictures and stories... And so on.

My character's an AI, so being able to snap-quote information helps me be in character. My own memory is entirely insufficient on it's own.

Offline Vyrolakos

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Maritime Games Club (Medway, Kent, UK)
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 07:42:52 AM »
Now, ordinarily I would not allow any sort of technology at the table, including mobile phones and laptops, but our group is now spread over 3 different timezones. A year ago, we started using skype / teamspeak to bring us together. The chat function is the only in game whisper we can use.

This doesn't count, you're not using technology at the table, you're using technology as the table.  ;)  :D

Offline Vyrolakos

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Maritime Games Club (Medway, Kent, UK)
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 08:02:23 AM »
As far as angry birds, well... there are times when someone's character isn't present for what's going on, and if they're keeping busy while waiting for the action to return to them, well that's fine I suppose. As long as they're keeping it to themselves- not playing games with the music on, or interrupting others to show everyone 'funny cat picture ###' or worse still... 'funny cat video ###'!

I'm glad it works in your group.

In my experience, what happens is, the person who has zoned out (on angry birds or whatever) will later need to be brought up to speed on what happened while his character was 'elsewhere'. Maybe it's more to do with my particular play style. I don't hide events from players who aren't in the scene. It's a shared story, everyone gets to hear what is going on regardless of where they are.

...and yes. This means I don't do backstabbing games, nor do I play with people who can't deal with knowing stuff they can't act upon. If a player character wants to assassinate or 'do over' other player characters, I point them in the direction of WoW or Battlefield 3 or a nice game of MtG.  ;)

To be honest, I'm not even that keen on the idea of constantly referring to rules books at the table. With SpaceMaster I tend to have laminated charts for the combat stuff that can lay on the table with drinks and food on them. Play the game, worry about sorting out rules between sessions.

My whole group(s) use laptops while gaming at this point, and it's generally not a problem.
At this point our privateers party commands six ships (discounting fighters) and close to a hundred crew, so living solely off of dead trees was beginning to become unwieldy.
We store everything online for the most part, so that if someone misses a session we can still access all the particulars on their assets.

To be fair, this does sound like the kind of game that could make the most sensible use of computers to keep under control. Can't say I've ever wanted to run something quiet so ... large.  :o

Sounds like fun though!  ;D

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 08:41:16 AM »

I just sent Nicholas H.M. Caldwell a PM about this with your quote above. But just in case you might also want to drop him a PM.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.