Author Topic: Purchasing SM: P  (Read 1560 times)

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Purchasing SM: P
« on: August 13, 2012, 06:16:43 PM »
I'm looking at getting some of the Privateers game so I can understand better how it works (and also to see if I can use it at all in my game :) ) - please could someone give me guidance on the core books required? I can pick up some of the outliers later on...

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Purchasing SM: P
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 09:10:15 PM »
The Core book is SM:P, that is all you need to play.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 03:36:05 AM »
As markc mentioned the SM:P is the only book you need to play.
Races & Cultures and Future Law is a a good addition expanding the character options in the Privateers universe.
The Tech books are great if you wanna create your own stuff for your own campaign. Still highly usable in a Privateers game.
Blaster Law is sort of a combination of Arms Law and Tech Book for futuristic weapons. Not needed but very nice if you wanna expand on that area and design your own weapons.

I have all the books except Races & Cultures and Blaster Law. But I plan on getting them as soon as both are available as PoD. Of the the books I have the Core Book and Future Law is the ones that sees the most use. Followed by Equipment Manual but I would not count is as essential but a very nice addition. The other books are used but not as much as I would count them as essential in any way.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 08:59:45 AM »
Another option that I also use is Arms Law: Firearms for my game. But you do not need that to play.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 09:16:43 AM »
As noted, SM:P is all you need.

Ten Million Ways to Die is a great book for SM because it provides mundane arms and fire arms with SM armor types and RM armor types.  EXCELLENT source book.  The ammount of hits the modern weapons deliver is much more balanced than in Blaster law or Fire Arms Law, another plus (though still not perfect  ;) )

Robotics Manuel is also well done and provides all the cyber gear and android critical tables, robot crit tables, etc, along with some new attack tables.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 10:47:06 AM »
Robotics Manuel is also well done and provides all the cyber gear and android critical tables, robot crit tables, etc, along with some new attack tables.

I also agree as IIRC you were asking about some robot stuff a while back.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.