Author Topic: RMU coming! Will there be an SMU in the future?  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
RMU coming! Will there be an SMU in the future?
« on: July 20, 2012, 06:08:10 AM »
I couldn't help to think about the upcoming RMU and started to wonder if Spacemaster would see the same inification in the future.
What would people think about this?
I for one is for it. Wouldn't mind a unified good system for my sci-fi games. Not that either version if bad or anything but gathering all the good stuff from both version and streamlining it a bit would be very nice.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMU coming! Will there be an SMU in the future?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 09:00:03 AM »
I do not know but I was just having a laugh at the abbreviation SMU, ie SMOOO. ;D

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 09:34:38 AM »
Southern Methodist University? We already have one.

It has a pretty good program for game designers too, at least so I hear.

:o
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 10:15:44 AM »
I do not know but I was just having a laugh at the abbreviation SMU, ie SMOOO. ;D

MDC
Beware or I will Smooo you all!! :mullet:
Southern Methodist University? We already have one.

It has a pretty good program for game designers too, at least so I hear.

:o
That is funny you mentioned that. I am about to take a course in Game Design this spring. But it's not at the Southern Methodist University. To be honest the name of that uni just make my skin itch.   :angel3:

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 12:02:36 PM »
But it's not at the Southern Methodist University. To be honest the name of that uni just make my skin itch.

Meh. No different than Notre Dame or whatever, so far as I can see.

Since I lived not very far from SMU for years, and many times as a stagehand set up a gig in an arena or auditorium on their campus, when someone refers to SMU I doubt I'll ever think of a game first, even if I've played it for years.

Although I gotta admit, RMU sounds like a part you'd find in an AI robot.

"Yes ma'am, you say the robot went cray and attacked everyone? Yes ma'am, we'll get a tech out there as soon as we can. Sounds like the RMU is on the fritz...."
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 06:28:22 AM »
To answer the original post, we expect there will be a unified Spacemaster at some point in the future.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Usdrothek

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 08:59:52 AM »
You would think the whole line of products would be synced, It is just a matter of time and priorities.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 10:08:47 AM »
You would think the whole line of products would be synced, It is just a matter of time and priorities.

Yea I later found that the issue was mentioned in the New from Guild Companion Publications. Rolemaster and the rebranding is the first to be dealt with and then they will see if they have the resources to unify Spacemaster in the future. But the idea is that there will be a unification atleast.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 11:23:55 AM »

No doubt, but I get the impression that the time to do all they're trying to get done right now is a jewel beyond price to the folks working on this. The fact that they're bailing out as fast as they can doesn't change the fact that right now, the boat is still pretty swamped.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 01:10:23 PM »
Yeah they seem to under a heavy workload. But from what I can see it's starting to pay of now when products are slowly becoming available again.

For example I know I can hardly wait to see what that adventure module for Rolemaster they have mentioned will turn out like. But that is another subject for another post.

But all this activity from GCP and ICE is one of the reason for our resparked interest in picking up Spacemaster (and Rolemaster for that matter). And as mentioned in another post I have started to convert the adventures from the SM2 adventure Raiders from the Frontier to Spacemaster: Privateers (yes it is also being moved to the Privateers background). And ofcourse that lead me on to creating this post.
I am a bit curious what will happen with the campaign worlds from the different editions when they unify Spacemaster. Will they be separated from the rules and maybe released independently like Shadow World and Cyradon? But I guess questions like that is a bit to early to decide on right now.