Author Topic: Real Guided Rounds  (Read 1440 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Real Guided Rounds
« on: July 19, 2012, 02:52:31 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/07/19/could-guided-bullets-turn-average-joe-into-sniper/?intcmp=features

Boy now that RM is getting more SM like it is going to be difficult to keep the Tec Edge up.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: Real Guided Rounds
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 11:10:32 AM »
What?  You never had guided bullets in your scifi games?  8)

I always had the Terrans inventing such at TL16.  Simple laser point and shoot.  Bullets track the laser and hit where it is pointed.  Of course, it leads to a mess should the target be some distance away, you fire, then turn the laser...

By TL17, they had self-guided bullets.  Whatever the gun was pointed at when fired is where the bullet guided to.

For close quarter combat, say against the Snekra, they most often used the regular slug throwing round.  No guidance.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 11:13:04 AM »
Ooops.  Forgot to include:

But that is really cool.  Reality finally catches with my guessing a couple of decades ago.

IIRC, the bullets are being developed right here in New Mexico at Sandia laboratories.  Or is it LANL?

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline licoricemetal

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 01:44:05 PM »
Awesome!

Now, how do you guys handle the mechanics of guided bullets in SM campaign?

Here are my thoughts:
- Due to their hight velocity/momentum, the trajectory of a bullet is difficult to change. Therefore, significant change in trajectory can only be achieved over a long distance. Hence the use of such bullets for sniping weapons, not close-range firefights.
-  Ideally, the guided bullet should have better accuracy than regular bullets (at long range), but does not do more damage.
So here is what I would do:
- Guided bullets offset range penalty if the target is at medium or long range. The offset is better at long range. I use 2E system, not sure how different it is for Privateers: The modifier for Medium range would be -10 instead of -30 and for long range -20 (-30?) instead of -90. Also, any penalty due to moving target is removed.
- There is a possibility for reducing cover bonus of the target as the bullet would curve around and approach the target in a more exposed direction. I would apply 50% of the cover bonus at medium range and 25% of cover at long range.
- The weight modifier is at least 4x, to account for the propulsion and guidance mechanisms.

Thoughts?