Author Topic: Rebranded Future Law Release  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
Rebranded Future Law Release
« on: July 18, 2012, 08:21:52 AM »
Hi I was just wondering if anyone know if the new release of the rebranded Future Law have the correct stats for the Falaris? If thats the case I might pick up the pdf. Only have the dead tree book from before the rebranding.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Rebranded Future Law Release
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 03:17:55 PM »
No, Future Law is one of the products with fragile archives. We're now on our third variant to fail the physical proof order test - i.e. it gets past all the automated checks, but the actual physical copy still is wrong.

To clarify: we have not made any errata fixes to Future Law. The layout falls apart on Spacemaster: Privateers books if we do any tweaking at all.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 03:10:42 AM by NicholasHMCaldwell »
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 09:40:41 AM »
That is ok. Have the correct stats jotted down in the book and I plan to get the Races and Cultures book once it gets available again. As I understand Races and Cultures has the correct stats.
Races and Cultures and Blaster Law is the only books I am currently missing from my physical SM:P collection.

Offline Rei Malebario

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 08:12:29 AM »
That sounds like a strange problem. May I ask you what software you're using?
Wouldn't it be possible to
- create the normal, untweaked PDF
- create a separate PDF with the tweaked pages
- use Acrobat Pro to delete the original, untweaked pages and subsequently insert the tweaked pages?

While that isn't an elegant solution, I can't see how it could fail to get the job jobbed since once the documents have been exported to PDF, the layout is locked in and deleting pages or inserting new ones can't really mess with any of the other pages. But I don't know for certain that it can't somehow mess with the printing process. Admittedly, IME, just about anything can... :p

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 08:36:39 AM »
Admittedly, IME, just about anything can... :p

Something I used to tell customers when I troubleshot electronics for a living: Remember, the machine isn't smart. It only appears smart because it's dumber than dirt at the speed of light. What in a human would be taking 20 years to master waving bye-bye and won't live long enough to learn pattycake, in a machine takes place too quickly for humans to spot. So when a solder joint comes loose or a contact gets dirty, there is no circuit that looks at the changed signals and says, "wait, that can't be right." And if you tell it to do something impossible, it won't tell you "no", it will attempt it and probably destroy itself trying.

So if a process uses 20 machines and 30 pieces of software, that's a minimum of 50 people's brain farts, laziness, incompetence or overwork you have to watch out for. And it's not as if any of us are immune to brain farts.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 11:29:39 AM »
Admittedly, IME, just about anything can... :p

Something I used to tell customers when I troubleshot electronics for a living: Remember, the machine isn't smart. It only appears smart because it's dumber than dirt at the speed of light. What in a human would be taking 20 years to master waving bye-bye and won't live long enough to learn pattycake, in a machine takes place too quickly for humans to spot. So when a solder joint comes loose or a contact gets dirty, there is no circuit that looks at the changed signals and says, "wait, that can't be right." And if you tell it to do something impossible, it won't tell you "no", it will attempt it and probably destroy itself trying.

So if a process uses 20 machines and 30 pieces of software, that's a minimum of 50 people's brain farts, laziness, incompetence or overwork you have to watch out for. And it's not as if any of us are immune to brain farts.

I agree. Computer are programmed by humans and we all know how error prone they are.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline DJRJ_AU

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Lost & Confused...
    • Surviving Suburbia
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 09:49:14 PM »
To err is human.  To really screw things up requires a computer...

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 01:45:26 AM »
To err is human.  To really screw things up requires a computer...
I thought you needed a screwdriver for that?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 08:43:52 AM »
A Computer with a HScrewDriver attack, 180 OB should be extra devestating.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 08:55:46 AM »
Hmm! Starts to give me an adventure idea about an industrial AI that starts to kill of people with all the tools at the factory. Imagine HAL in control of a big factory.  :hal:

Offline DJRJ_AU

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Lost & Confused...
    • Surviving Suburbia
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 11:50:35 PM »
[MODE_GRIN_EVIL=ON]
Oh my yes, what an ... interesting idea.
[MODE_GRIN_EVIL=OFF]

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 12:16:49 AM »
I am gonna start sketching on the actual factory. Might do it like an old school style high-tech dungeon crawl, where the adventurers have to navigate the automated factory to locate the computer core to be able to shut of the computer. Along the path they will meet all kinds of droids and unhealthy machines under control of the computer that wishes them unwell.

Should be easy to put a Jeronan Empire link there too. Maybe the factory is some kind of Jeronan weapons factory or maybe a ISC factory that gets a very dangerous Jeronan AI planted in it as an sabotage attempt, or just an evil ISC corporation that experiments with dangerous AI tech at a secret "factory". The possibilities are endless but I leave those details for later since the important feature is the high-tech dungeon and then I can just write up the story behind it to suit our current campaign. Maybe something to submit to GCP/TGA?

Offline Vyrolakos

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Maritime Games Club (Medway, Kent, UK)
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 04:37:52 PM »
To clarify: we have not made any errata fixes to Future Law. The layout falls apart on Spacemaster: Privateers books if we do any tweaking at all.

You've got to love legacy software compatibility.  :(