Author Topic: Dark Galaxies?  (Read 2036 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: Dark Galaxies?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 12:25:14 PM »
Indeed.

Hmmm...

However, I still have yet to embrace the idea of dark matter/energy.  It still just seems a bit of a mental exercise rather than hard physics.  But, I am still open to these ideas.

I'll have to do some research to find any links, but some ideas i have heard include Negative Mass (not the same as antimatter or antimass), Negative Matter (not the same as antimatter or dark matter), Negative Energy (not the same as anti-energy or dark energy), and Negative Time (not the same as antitime).

But I had the same reaction when I read blurbs somewhere: Hmmm...

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
The bit I read (and I admit, I did not read the whole article) it doesn't sound like a Dark Galaxy is anything like Dark Matter/Energy (at least not energy), but just a galaxy-sized cloud of particles that contain no stars, so it doesn't emit its own source of light. Hence, the "dark" part of the name.

It seems to me, to be totally reasonable that not all galactic clouds would form into full galaxies, complete with stars and planets.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Vyrolakos

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Maritime Games Club (Medway, Kent, UK)
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 04:49:05 PM »
If this were the Alternity Dark•Matter forums, the answer would be obvious.  ;)

The bad guys have got to originate from somewhere.  :o

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 05:34:21 PM »
It seems to me, to be totally reasonable that not all galactic clouds would form into full galaxies, complete with stars and planets.
Not to me :) The reason stars and planets exist is because of gravity. Everything is subject to gravity (unless you start postulating about things with negative mass etc. as mentioned above - but even they are affected by gravity in a different way). two particles of dust 10,000 light years apart would (assuming no other gravitic influence) eventually collide - and yes it would take a *very* long time but it would happen.

So, if you have a cloud of any size, it's going to start condensing, and when matter condenses that way it either forms balls of stuff (like Jupiter if the matter is hydrogen) or goes further, gathers more mass, until the critical point is reached where it begins to collapse in on itself under its own weight. After that, fusion is a short step away, which continues until the fuel funs out. At which point boom, hello nebula, rinse/repeat.

Eventually, there will be no more fuel, and when that happens, the part of the universe's history where there is light will be over (except for white dwarf stars, the superheated cores of stars which ahve gone nova - our Sun will form one when it dies). But the universe will persist for billions and billions of years - the stellifferous (or starry) part is estimated to last maybe 150 billion years, but the dark part of ths history will be many, many times that long.

Gotta love entropy, one of the most depressing forms of inevitability there is.

But what that means is dark galaxies = not happening unless the material they are made from is exotic in ways even theoretical physicists on LSD have yet to comprehend.

But all is not lost. The concept of a dark nebula, which is full of particulate matter and gases far beyond what is normal for interstellar space, and which is dark simply because you can't see into it, is well established. You could easily hide a star cluster in there from which the bad guys originate - especially if the nebula had somehow engulfed some habitable worlds along the way - and the nebula's particulate mass makes it very dangerous to navigate (the bad guys have some kind of super-shield that lets them fly into it undamaged)...

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 06:15:46 PM »
What kills me the most is the way they always seem surprised when we find something new that makes us come up with new "rules". I mean, it happens so often you would think they would just classify it as Tuesday.

And perhaps the some clouds don't condense because they just don't have enough mass/matter in close enough proximity to overcome the natural condition of the continuing (and increasing in speed) expansion of the Universe. Plus, with all the quantum particles popping in and out of existence among them, might just have something to do with it.

Of course (and this is the most likely), it could be something completely unknown to us at present.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 07:29:22 PM »
In the darkness, the Grue gather for conventions, thus explaining it all quite nicely.  ;)
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline DJRJ_AU

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Lost & Confused...
    • Surviving Suburbia
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 07:34:20 PM »

However, I still have yet to embrace the idea of dark matter/energy.  It still just seems a bit of a mental exercise rather than hard physics.  But, I am still open to these ideas.

My favourite explanation for Dark Matter, Dark Energy and Dark Flow is, "We know it's there, and we can measure the effects of it being there, but we have no idea what it is."

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 09:57:20 PM »
I agree with Douglas Adams. It's the packing peanuts that everything else in the universe was shipped in.

8)
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula