Author Topic: FGCon: Free try-out of Rolemaster & Spacemaster Fantasy Grounds VTT  (Read 3376 times)

Offline lachancery

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
A virtual gaming conference using the Fantasy Grounds VTT (Virtual Table Top) will be held during the week-end of Friday, July 20th to Sunday, July 22nd. No purchase of any sort is required to participate.
  • A tutorial for GMs and players on how to use Fantasy Grounds with the Rolemaster Classic ruleset will be held on Friday at 9pm (North American Eastern Time)(Saturday 2am London Time).
  • A 4 hour scenario using the Rolemaster Classic ruleset will be run on Sunday at 10am (North American Eastern Time)(3pm London Time).
  • A 4 hour scenario using a Spacemaster 2 mod to the RMC ruleset will be run on Saturday at 4pm (North American Pacific Time)(Midnight London Time).

A calendar of all the games at the FGCon (incl. the 7+ other game systems) can be viewed at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuS4bmZlL0uUdEhLRnQyUFp3cGtkU3g5Ti1jWHZMOGc#gid=0

The details for each game, and signing up links, can be viewed at: http://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/

And finally, the forum where discussion about the virtual convention are being held is at: http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69

The automation in the Rolemaster Classic ruleset can cut the length of combat in half and takes care of most admin duties; some groups are using Fantasy Grounds even for their face to face games! If you have ever been curious about VTT or Fantasy Grounds, there's never been a better time to try it out.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 09:57:55 PM by lachancery »

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: FGCon: Free try-out of Rolemaster & Spacemaster Fantasy Grounds VTT
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 05:48:36 AM »
I saw you posting last night and was wondering what was taking so long... nice work on the formatting!  :D

I've thrown together this table as a quick reference (please double check it for me).  I'll personally be looking at getting into the Tutorial and maybe SM2.  Thanks for sharing!

EventDatePacificEasternGreenwhich
TutorialFri 7/206pm9pm2am (Sat)
SM2Sat 7/214-8pm7-11pm12-4am(Mon)
RMCSun 7/227-11am10-2pm3-7pm
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 01:08:29 PM »
I'm looking at the 2 am tutorial time and I'm not happy about it ;) Even less happy about the midnight to 4 am SM game. Guess I'm not joining this one.

And it's spelled 'Greenwich' by the way ;) , pronounced 'Grenitch'

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 01:19:42 PM »
I'm looking at the 2 am tutorial time and I'm not happy about it ;) Even less happy about the midnight to 4 am SM game. Guess I'm not joining this one.

I can understand that. 

I am running the SM2 game and would be willing to run it again at a different time if there is enough interest.  It wouldn't even have to be the weekend of FG Con.  When would be a good time for you?  Who else would be willing to try it out if it was scheduled at a different time?

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 01:23:12 PM »
Unless you're going to duplicate everything so there's 3 sessions of each 8 hours apart, the time is going to be horrible for some people. Depending on market demographics I don't have access to, you might be able to cut that to 2 each, but still... that's the downside of anything whose market is international.

Does FG do HARP?
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 01:54:59 PM »

I can understand that. 

I am running the SM2 game and would be willing to run it again at a different time if there is enough interest.  It wouldn't even have to be the weekend of FG Con.  When would be a good time for you?  Who else would be willing to try it out if it was scheduled at a different time?

That's very nice of you. Maybe jimmiSue can get a group together to fill your slots.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 03:23:33 PM »
Does FG do HARP?

FG doesn't do HARP at this point. 

SpaceMaster 2 isn't a current ruleset either.  I wanted to show people that the Rolemaster Classic ruleset for FG could be used for other similar games.  I picked SM2 because it is very similar to RM2/RMC.  I've just converted the information I would need for the convention game so far.  I even have someone redoing some of the graphics to give it more of a Sci-Fi feel.  I will post a pick with more details before the end of the weekend.  I just need to finish up a couple things first.

I haven't played HARP but I have skimmed the rules to see what would be involved to get it working in FG.  Quite a bit of the core functionality from the RMC ruleset could be used but there is some significant work involved still.  I would like to do it at some point since I've heard some really good stuff about HARP.

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 05:01:14 PM »
That's very nice of you. Maybe jimmiSue can get a group together to fill your slots.
MDC
I am on UK time so I would think the best time would probably be one starting in the morning Pacific time/early afternoon Eastern - which would place it into our evening, and for the sake of everyone's working times, a weekend might be best.

Depending on interest from other UK/European players on the board or not, I might be able to persuade some of my current gaming group to give it a try - but I'm running a weekly SM2 game at the moment and they might be a bit "SpaceMastered out" as they put it. I'll see if any other Euro players post up an interest and then take it from there :)

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 07:09:22 PM »
I am on UK time so I would think the best time would probably be one starting in the morning Pacific time/early afternoon Eastern - which would place it into our evening, and for the sake of everyone's working times, a weekend might be best.

Depending on interest from other UK/European players on the board or not, I might be able to persuade some of my current gaming group to give it a try - but I'm running a weekly SM2 game at the moment and they might be a bit "SpaceMastered out" as they put it. I'll see if any other Euro players post up an interest and then take it from there :)

I should be able to work out a weekend morning.  I am PDT/PST so I believe there is an 8 hour time difference.  Let me know if you can find at least 4 people and we can see about scheduling it. 

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 05:24:09 PM »
Cetagandan occupation of Barrayar
Here is more information about the SpaceMaster 2 game for the convention.  It will be using the Rolemaster Classic ruleset with some modifications to better fit a SpaceMaster game.  GMBazUK was nice enough to create a new graphics theme that better fits a SpaceMaster game. 

The adventure is set in the universe of the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold.  The PCs will be Barrayans from the Vorkosigan district.  They will be resistance fighters in the Imperial Military reporting to General  Piotr Vorkosigan.  The adventure takes place shortly after the nuclear strike on Vorkosigan Vashnoi, the capital of Vorkosigan District.

Game Calendar: http://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=846
Time: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20120721T16&p1=840&ah=4
FG Forums Announcement Thread (Same initial information): http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=127905#post127905
Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4y04n53czm3fdq/SM%20Skin.PNG

Background
Barrayar is an earth colony that was cutoff from the rest of the galaxy when their wormhole collapsed exposing the world to radiation.  This forced them to focus on survival since the native vegetation is poisonous to Earth-descended life.  Their technology wore out over time without being able to be replaced.  Barrayar degenerated into a feudal society over the next few centuries. 

About 25 years ago a new wormhole was found leading from Komarr to Barrayar ending the Time of Isolation.  Barrayar was transitioning back into galactic society when about 10 years ago the Cetagandan empire attacked.  They used nuclear weapons to take out the shuttleports and moved into to occupy Barrayar.  The Barrayarans have engaged in guerilla warfare to fight the Cetagandans. 

Count Piotr Vorkosigan has turned Vorkosigan District into one of the strongest centers of resistance.  Because of his accomplishments fighting the Cetaganadans, Piotr earned the rank of General when he was 23 years old.  The Cetagandans, frustrated with the resistance in Vorkosigan District, pulled out of Vorkosigan Vashnoi and bombed it with nuclear weapons.

Additional Information
Vorkosigan Saga:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorkosigan_Saga
History of Barrayar:  http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=History_of_Barrayar

Pregenerated Characters
Details will be posted within the next couple days.

Offline bennis1980

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 03:41:26 AM »
I should be able to work out a weekend morning.  I am PDT/PST so I believe there is an 8 hour time difference.  Let me know if you can find at least 4 people and we can see about scheduling it.

Another European here interested if it was a little earlier (just can't handle it (again) in the wee small hours)

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 09:56:29 AM »
I have posted the detail up on my RP club board to see if anyone is interested. I am curious though, what's the tech level like? As it's in the recontact phase following centuries of feudalism, are we looking at a mix of the old and the new?

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 12:02:11 PM »
It is a mix of the old and the new.  Some of the poorer and more remote areas still are living very much like they did during the time of isolation.  The more populated areas are mostly up to galactic standards.  With the current guerrilla war, the Barrayarans have been smuggling weapons and other things for the war effort.  They are still heavily outgunned by the Cetagandan empire but the Dendarii mountains within Vorkosigan District provide a terrain advantage for the Barrayarans.

Also if we do it on Sunday, I might know of one other person that could possibly join.

Offline bennis1980

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 09:02:56 AM »
I've decided to bite the bullet and I'm playing the saturday session from 12-4am (I'm sure my wife will eventually forgive me, it's only once a year)

I have now signed up for 5 sessions - bring it on!!!

Quick question though, I presume I don't need to know much about the background story before we go, just join and play, yes?

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 09:25:39 AM »
You won't need to know much about the background information but if you have any questions let me know and I will give you the details.

Offline bennis1980

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 11:44:04 AM »
I saw the resources you have posted on the game and had a glance.

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 03:01:01 PM »
Don't feel like you have to read the additional resources.  I just provided them if someone was interested.  You should be fine with just the brief overview I gave and you should even be able to do it without that.

Offline bennis1980

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 04:41:46 PM »
Oh no, I read them  :o

May I please be excused,  :-[ my brain is full (and I'm leaking everywhere)

_____

Seriously though, I just skimmed them so I should be alright

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 01:46:20 AM »
I still have 2 spots open for the SpaceMaster 2 game if anyone wants to join.

Here is some basic information on the pregenerated characters:

Verdell Browning - Combat Engineer
Brennan Buckner - Armsman
Clarence Frederick - Smuggler
Parrish Carlson - Bounty Hunter
Horacio Franklin - Explorer
Lathrop Bonner - Criminologist
Brandon Foster - Medic

Offline bennis1980

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0