Author Topic: SM2 Rule Interpretation - missiles  (Read 3829 times)

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: SM2 Rule Interpretation - missiles
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 04:09:17 PM »
Technically it is 32 gig, the bit you can't access is the paging file. If you work out a mechanism for getting the paging file stored elsewhere, you'd get your full 32 Gig :)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 07:41:11 PM »
Technically it is 32 gig, the bit you can't access is the paging file. If you work out a mechanism for getting the paging file stored elsewhere, you'd get your full 32 Gig :)

I got an add in my email so I thought I would copy the info for everyone.

Capacity[/size] - The EMTEC C400 Flash Drive is available in 6 storage capacities: 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB and 64GB. Please note: for flash media devices, 1 megabyte = 1 million bytes; 1 gigabyte = 1 billion bytes. Actual useable capacity may vary. Some of the listed capacity may be used for formatting and other functions and thus is not available for data storage.[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]MDC[/color]
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 08:26:08 PM »
Hey, all I ask is offer what is advertised - with out the need to do something special (other than buy the product) to get it. I do not think I am asking too much here.

But, it makes me think: along with the storage capacity of computers we have talked about, I think this miniaturization would go a long ways to making even small missiles guided and highly programmable. So, even the 9" mini-missiles are likely able to round a few corners before hitting their target, in essence becoming indirect fire weapons.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 10:45:16 PM »
Hey, all I ask is offer what is advertised - with out the need to do something special (other than buy the product) to get it. I do not think I am asking too much here.

The main problem is with the companies in which they use the fact that their are 1024 MB is 1GB. They add up all the 1024's and report that number as the storage capacity vs using the conversion that is convention in most other products.  There has been a relatively small backlash a number of times but so far it has not been big enough to force them to change the way they do bis. Maybe an online outcry can get them to change they way they do things.
  Note1: In most cases they provide in small letters just what they are talking about and about how they are using the incorrect formula above and that the dive volume may vary from that reported on the box.
  Note2: There are also some other factors in production that can change the amount of storage that the device has, dead sectors. So sometimes you get more and sometimes you get less but generally you are right in the area of what they report the drive is.

End Side Bar
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 11:16:35 AM »

IIRC, it is not a paging file, it is the FAT.  File Allocation Table.  Or whatever they call it now.  All storage devices always use about 7-10% of total space for this.  Without it, you'd never be able to access your files on the storage device.  Well, actually you could, but it would not be easy.

Even in the old days of the 1.44 MB microfloppies only had about 1.2MB of user usable space.  That other space was used by the OS to create the FAT.  As mentioned by another, until someone figures out how to put the FAT for a flash drive elsewhere, you will never have the full capacity as usable.

However, since the whole idea of portability is what makes a flash drive so nice, you need to also carry that FAT with the device.  Thus, I can think of no way of not having the FAT on the flash drive.  Unless it is stored on the "cloud."  Then, you will need a computer connected to the cloud to be able to access the files.  Otherwise, you need that FAT on the device.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 11:53:02 AM »

IIRC, it is not a paging file, it is the FAT.  File Allocation Table.  Or whatever they call it now.  All storage devices always use about 7-10% of total space for this.  Without it, you'd never be able to access your files on the storage device.  Well, actually you could, but it would not be easy.

Even in the old days of the 1.44 MB microfloppies only had about 1.2MB of user usable space.  That other space was used by the OS to create the FAT.  As mentioned by another, until someone figures out how to put the FAT for a flash drive elsewhere, you will never have the full capacity as usable.

However, since the whole idea of portability is what makes a flash drive so nice, you need to also carry that FAT with the device.  Thus, I can think of no way of not having the FAT on the flash drive.  Unless it is stored on the "cloud."  Then, you will need a computer connected to the cloud to be able to access the files.  Otherwise, you need that FAT on the device.

rmfr

Part of the reason they post raw instead of usable sizes of drives is because the usable size varies based on how it is formatted.  The size of the File Allocation Table can vary based on the file system and block sized being used.