Author Topic: System generation  (Read 3884 times)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: System generation
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 12:10:40 PM »
Reading Cosmos 2 is what gave me the push to rewrite my SSG.  Most of the data I kind of knew inside my small brain.  Reading Cosmos 2 made me want to rewrite the old SSG I wrote.  When I found the files, most were at least 20 years old, some almost 30 years old.

Thus, even I had to go and dig up my astronomy and astrophysics text books, and go to scientific and university websites to do some research.

Like you, I never could figure out what the author meant by G0, G1, R1, R2, etc. on the grav, rad, and mag levels.  I think the only one I did like that was the PMF (planetary magnetic field).  I did find how some astronomers range the PMF levels and adopted them to my SSG.

I amy go back and devise systems for gravity and radiation, but that is on a back burner on a different stove for now.

However, I still say, "Design your stellar system as you see fit.  Just don't go too far into the delusional fantasy end, unless you are making it like Tolkien's world that exist within its own pocket universe."

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.