Author Topic: Where do you play your Space Master?  (Read 2077 times)

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Where do you play your Space Master?
« on: May 28, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »
By which I dno't mean, in your front room, or at a gaming club. I mean, are your games set planetside, or do you explore the vastness of space, or a mixture of the two?

Just wondering because I'm just writing an adventure for my group that gives them the option to stop being groundthumpers and start to legitimately wear aviation jackets and cool shades. :)

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
Re: Where do you play your Space Master?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 12:40:14 PM »
The few campaigns of Spacemaster I did my players were either TARA members, or any intelligence/government organization that fit the theme of the campaign.

That solved a lot of problems when it came with moving them from planet to planet.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 02:45:36 PM »
 I like both options with a preference for special op's or BattleTec Air Mech games. But I also like a more low profile games like FireFly or trader games.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 05:00:18 PM »
My setting is the solar system, with heavy development out to Jupiter and lighter development out to Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.  Most of the action takes place between Earth and Mars, with the asteriod belt (Ceres) between Mars and Jupitor being the location of the "frontier".

Maps are easy to come by, the space is MASSIVE and i have never had the need of a gazillion aliens.  I would like to run a game were the cats from Privateers are ram jet invading Kazinti from a dying world (they got in the way of the pupeteers...).  First I need a group though.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 05:01:42 PM »
Have not run a sci-fi game myself, but if/when I do there will be a mixture of planet-side and space travel.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 07:53:22 AM »
All of mine have been ground-side so far. At least the ones I've run. In a way I am hoping that the PCs decide to stay planet-bound during the upcoming game because my brain isn't imagining space opera very well. I may need to incorporate some elements of Star Wars under the thumb of the oppressive empire. My main concern with that is that my PCs are not stamped in the heroic mode. While not entirely evil, they do have a definte streak of "What's in it for me?" about them.

Have a brand new player (well, new to ICE anyway), and will be running for my largest ever group (6). Things will either go swimmingly well, or it will be an admin catastrophe :)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 10:55:56 AM »
All of mine have been ground-side so far. At least the ones I've run. In a way I am hoping that the PCs decide to stay planet-bound during the upcoming game because my brain isn't imagining space opera very well. I may need to incorporate some elements of Star Wars under the thumb of the oppressive empire. My main concern with that is that my PCs are not stamped in the heroic mode. While not entirely evil, they do have a definte streak of "What's in it for me?" about them.

Have a brand new player (well, new to ICE anyway), and will be running for my largest ever group (6). Things will either go swimmingly well, or it will be an admin catastrophe :)

Good luck.  Ship to ship battles aint near as fun as general melee.  When you do get to ship combat, remember crippling the ship the PC's are on is far better than vaporizing the ship the PC's are on.  Mk 10 and Mk 20 weapons are your friend, Mr. GM.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 12:05:01 PM »

Good luck with the new player and running with 6 is a big group.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 09:01:49 PM »
I did 5 last rotation and it worked out OK, and I'm getting the players to do some of the combat admin and allow them to be a bit more cinematic by supplying attack tables and critical tables so they can work out their own damage. My number 6 is the club's rule lawyer so I'm hoping he will pick things up fairly quickly. They key is preparation - which reminds me I need to get my templates prepped for the NPCs they are about the be fighting so there's no pause for me to write that up.

I've played in some ship combats before and in one of them I got so bored that my character went and jumped into a spare light patrol boat and went outside to join in the fray. Small ships is definitely where it's at there, but I agree, space combat is not so much fun. But I don't want the PCs to feel that space is just something they travel through to get to the next planetside adventure - if it becomes like the subway, why not just use a regular subway and kerep it all planetside? :)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 10:28:50 AM »
 For space combat I divide up the roles to the PC's or even have PC's control various ships. I have also even planed on just ship combat day and allowed players who do not want to show up to not be there or even schedule a separate night for that game to occur on.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 12:34:16 PM »
My current SM campaign takes place on both.  Some space scenes/adventures with some vessel combat.  Planetside usually occurs after a jaunt in space while the ship is being repaired/upgraded.  Sometimes planetside includes mass combat against the ground forces of the Enigman Invaders.

Also, my campaign has anywhere from 4 to 8 persons playing.  Depends on when we meet (mostly Sundays) and where.  If we meet at my home, or the 5 others, at least 5 usually attend since five of the players literally live in walking distance.  The furthest of these 5 lives only about 12 minutes walking distance.  These numbers are not including me, the GM.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 01:32:11 PM »
Haven't run Spacemaster for many years, but the Star Trek RPG game I did run (both Federation and Klingon variants) mixed space and planet-side adventures in about equal measure. With Klingons in particular you can usually muster up enough dramatics on board ship to keep them busy...
Darn that salt pork!

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 01:06:43 PM »
With Klingons in particular you can usually muster up enough dramatics on board ship to keep them busy...

LOL.  Been there, done that.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.