Author Topic: New(er) idea about black holes  (Read 1437 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Re: New(er) idea about black holes
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 01:06:59 PM »
"...there are some people who have a legend that the whole universe is carried in a leather bag by an old man.
They're right, too.
Other people say: hold on, if he's carrying the entire universe in a sack, right, that means he's carrying himself and the sack inside the sack, because the universe contains everything. Including him. And the sack, of course. Which contains him and the sack already. As it were.
To which the reply is: well?"

- Sir Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 06:36:34 PM »
I've pretty much written off truly trying to figure this mystery out.  It's just not going to happen any time soon, if ever.  So, other than coming up with interesting ideas for Sci-Fi stories/campaigns I try not to think too seriously about it.  For me these following questions lead to the conclusion that we simply can't even fathom what is going on...

Does the Universe End?  If no, it's infinite? How is that possible?  If yes, it just "ends" somewhere?  If it does end somewhere that implies there's something on the other side.  Cause if something ends, something comes after it, right?  Which really means we're looking at infinite again.

The idea that we're the equivalent of ant farm created by a super advanced alien race is just as plausible as anything else in the end.  It makes me understand why religion exists.  We're smart enough to know that we have no idea what the heck is going on and we're trying to explain it - but we aren't capable of wrapping our minds around it yet.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 10:04:24 PM »
 I have heard of this idea before in Sci-Fi and Fantasy novels but I had never seen a scientific article on the topic.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 12:18:28 PM »
Actually, one scientist proposed this idea some time in the 80s.  I remember reading the article while in the USNavy.  There have been other articles on the same subject, but all of them, regretfully, are nothing more than hypotheses.  Problem is proving it to the point it is a theory.  That may not occur until we have the technological equivalence of the Q Continuum.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 12:36:38 PM »
Does the Universe End?  If no, it's infinite? How is that possible?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klein_bottle

Sorry, I had to be a smart aleck, I think it's a genetic inheritance.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula