Author Topic: Touching people for psions  (Read 2518 times)

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Touching people for psions
« on: April 26, 2012, 02:45:38 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has any opinions about this? Psions allow a decent modifier if the teep can touch the recipient, and some actually require it (e.g. Touch of Unconsciousness). How would this be resolved? I had this come up recently and as a spur of the moment rule to keep the game flowing I essentially copied the D20 method and had the teep roll an attack against AT 1 - and although on that occasion the player rolled well enough to get into the damaging range, I probably would have let her off if she had come close (since a touch doesn't need to land well enough to cause damage - just a brush of the fingertip is enough)

Is there a rule for touching people that don't want to be touched that I've missed, or does anyone have a good house rule I could apply?

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
Re: Touching people for psions
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 04:05:10 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, there is no official rule.  We all just wing it.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 01:45:53 PM »

+1
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 03:43:20 PM »
Movement Maneuver?

>>ReaperWolf

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 04:10:33 PM »
Normally, I resolve touching a foe in combat by adding his DB and OB used against the PC trying to touch him plus/minus appropriate mods, roll d100 + appropriate mods (Agx3) and if the mnv roll is higher, touch succeeds.  If roll is failed, PC attempting the touch is subject to an attack equal to diference between target number and amount rolled for mnv.

So if foe has a 45 DB, the sorceror will need to roll a 46+ to land his touch of disruption.  If foe is attacking sorceror with a +70 OB, then Sorceror needs to roll a 115 to succeed.

Normally I define touch as laying on a finger, a slap, or use of a wand, staff, rod, etc.  Wants are +10 to roll, rods are +20 and staves are +30.  Rarely have I allowed use of melee weapon (and thus the OB for the weapon) to be used.  I have allowed brawling and martial arts ob's to be used, but at a -20 to BAR and MA OB, as if using TWC.  The mnv roll or the BAR will suffer an additional -20 for off hand, depending on which hand is declared for what (assuming SCSM is successful, of course, even if spell could normally be auto cast, though auto cast is aqllowed if an OB is not used to mod the mnv roll).

Sounds complicated, but its not.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 04:57:15 PM »
Movement Maneuver?

>>ReaperWolf

+1

Something based on Qu or (more likely) Ag if it's a non-combat situation. If it's combat related (or the target is somehow alerted to what's going on) I'd go with yammahoper's idea.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 09:42:10 PM »
There's a rule on touch attacks in RMC Creatures and Treasures. I suspect it's shown up in a few other instances also, but I'm not certain.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 07:17:32 AM »
Since about 1983, I have always used

or if a die roll is required

Movement Maneuver

with

appropriate mods, roll d100

Then I use the appropriate difficulty level (Medium, Hard, Very Hard, etc.) dependent upon the situation.  If result is a 100 or better on the appropriate column, touch succeeds.  Otherwise, it fails.

Makes sense?

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 10:45:33 AM »
Nice thing about the using the MM Table.  Say the touch attack will deliver a level 8 spell.  Mnv result is a 60%.  The attack could be resolved as a 5th level attack, or 4th if the GM prefers to round down.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 11:15:32 AM »
Nice thing about the using the MM Table.  Say the touch attack will deliver a level 8 spell.  Mnv result is a 60%.  The attack could be resolved as a 5th level attack, or 4th if the GM prefers to round down.

Thanks.  I've done this also.  Like minds...

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 12:50:32 AM »
As an option to the MM route: Make an unarmed attack against the target and so long as you have a result with 1 point of damage you have successfully touched them.

The other question is do you have to touch skin?  If you do, what about a target in full plate?  Really easy to cause 1 point of damage... but did you actually touch the target?
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 04:30:50 PM »
I personally allow them to get a little lower than 1 p[oint of damage - after all, they are not trying to cause some damage, just touch them. I see the touch as a way that the teep doesn't have to 'broadcast' the psion over empty air - he can just squirt the energy directly into the target (nice image, anyone? :) ). As such, unless the armour is specifically designed to foil psion use, just touching the mook's outer apparel would be sufficient.