Author Topic: Superluminal Velocities  (Read 8191 times)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: Superluminal Velocities
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 01:05:10 PM »

Crazy idea.

Pressure Drive:
  Now I do not believe this is a scientifically possible drive but it is based on scientific principles. The principals are things at higher energy (excited states) will move to lower energy states. For those of non-scientific backgrounds an atom that has energy added to it raises electrons to an excited state and then the electron falls back to a lower energy state giving off electromagnetic radiation (often light).
 This drive uses high pressure (high energy state) to shift the craft to low pressure (low energy state) or no pressure (or as close to no pressure as you can get, space). So the craft would dive to the ocean depths and shift to space or somewhere else with very little pressure.   

But there are then other problems you have to solve to deal with the pressure on your craft.
MDC

Know of the principles you speak of.  Never thought of it from that viewpoint.  Definitely makes one go hmmm...

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 10:36:23 PM »
 I think a psionic type drive would work on the "pressure" principle. But maybe that is just me thinking.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 01:56:06 AM »
A psionic drive could take advantage of a teep's ability to manipulate matter and energy in ways that are beyond the capability of technology, not to mention the psionic ability to provide energy to things that apparently comes from nowhere (e.g. psions that heat things up, or move them around). I could imagine a whole new field of psionic endeavor based on microkinesis and its energy equivalent, which only works at the subatomic level, which is used to contain and excite particles and energy into exotic states that are used in some other esoteric way to provide propulsion.

Many years ago I played a semi-telepath/pilot in Space Master and designed a psion list around ship systems, one of which allowed the teep to essentially increase the mark number of the drives and make the ship go faster.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 09:22:04 AM »
 Maybe there is an idea in a Dark Matter Dive, if someone did not bring it up before. Some way to manipulate the mass we are missing to propel you from A to B.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 11:43:21 AM »
A psionic drive could take advantage of a teep's ability to manipulate matter and energy in ways that are beyond the capability of technology, not to mention the psionic ability to provide energy to things that apparently comes from nowhere (e.g. psions that heat things up, or move them around). I could imagine a whole new field of psionic endeavor based on microkinesis and its energy equivalent, which only works at the subatomic level, which is used to contain and excite particles and energy into exotic states that are used in some other esoteric way to provide propulsion.

Many years ago I played a semi-telepath/pilot in Space Master and designed a psion list around ship systems, one of which allowed the teep to essentially increase the mark number of the drives and make the ship go faster.

I need to go and dig up some really old files.  The Snekra use a form of psionic drive and TP gates to get their ships around since they are organic based.

I remember advans were that they could instantly travel from point A to point B.  Disads were that the organic based technology was way more vulnerable than traditional tech ships.  Another advan was since the Snekra Warriors were nigh invulnerable to the vacuum of space, they could be launched against ships where they could then rip their way into the hulls, especially Airlock portals. 

And I don't want to hear about Species 8472.  That was the biggest pile of horse hoowhee I have ever seen about organic based technology.  Even the orgtech of the Vorlans and Shadows in Bab5 was more retarded than smart.  It was these reasons I lost all respect for the creators/writers of the shows Star Trek: Voyager and Babylon 5.  However, I do have the shows on DVD because I did enjoy them.  I just ignore the fact that the creators/writers were that retarded.

No one will ever convince me that organic based tech will ever be that invulnerable.   NEVER!  Additionally, orgtech would be exceptionally vulnerable to kinetic-based weapons (i.e. - slug throwers).

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 12:15:53 PM »
 Does organic = living? Or does organic mean made primarily of Carbon?
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
MDC

Of, relating to, or derived from living organisms.  Thus, diamonds are not organic, despite having high carbon content.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 02:42:38 PM »
Life science was a long time ago. I believe there are five defining characteristics defining living things:  undergo metabolism/maintain homeostasis, possess a capacity to grow, respond to stimuli, reproduce and, through natural selection, adapt to their environment in successive generations.

More complex living organisms can communicate through various means.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2012, 12:55:00 AM »
MDC

Of, relating to, or derived from living organisms.  Thus, diamonds are not organic, despite having high carbon content.

Thanks, I was just making sure we were talking the same language. ;D

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2012, 12:58:46 AM »
 So now you can get crazy. Lets say an organic ship has skin that when dead becomes very resistant to kinetic and thermal damage, or at least significantly more so then its inner body.
  Dose that work or just cause some problems since it is based on nothing but conjecture?  Or am I just shooting in the dark?
MDC

BTW, did anyone read the article about spiders detachable genitalia? Very good IMHO and won my crazy article of the week award.

Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2012, 07:53:56 AM »
No one will ever convince me that organic based tech will ever be that invulnerable.   NEVER!  Additionally, orgtech would be exceptionally vulnerable to kinetic-based weapons (i.e. - slug throwers).
I would say that the only advantage orgtech might have over hard-tech is versatility. But, then again, with multi-programmable nano-tech, that may not be true either.

Detachable genitalia, huh? Boy, that could take the fun out of things, couldn't it?

Funny thing about travel between stars being impractical: there could (some would say, should) still be an interstellar society that spans the entire galaxy by now, even if they never broke the LS barrier.

Quantum Dislocality is actually folding space by putting the ship/object through a dislocation on a quantum level.  It offers virtually instantaneous travel between two points of space.  However, it is believed that the power just to dislocate a person from one side of the Earth to the other would be equivalent to the output of a star.  The Galactic Empire's hypermatter may be an answer for the power problem.  In SMP, the Jump Drives and Spatial Folds would be using this technique.
A series of sci-fi books I recently (re)read had something like this in it, but they called it Quatum Particle Entanglement - or some such. Basically, by splitting a QP (don't ask me how, it was science fiction) you would get a single particle that existed in two locations at the same time. By going "in one" and "out the other" you could effectively cross the galaxy without actually crossing the galaxy. A neat way of side-stepping the LS barrier problem. (Oh, and they had an enemy alien species take a ship that was going point 99.something c and convert its speed directly into energy, destroying the ship instantly, of course. Nasty.)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2012, 09:05:44 AM »
 Yes the male spider has two sets and so does the female spider. If/when one or two break off and generally plug/stick in the appropriate female area so other male spiders cannot inseminate her. Then the male spider (if it lives, ie the female does not kill him) protects the female from harm.
 A very good interesting article, I wish I could find it again so I could provide a link as there might be some good RP ideas in it. PC attacked and then followed by and protected from harm by strange alien creature. IIRC I think this happened in one of the Star Trek  series.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2012, 09:26:58 AM »
Most of the games (and a lot of the fiction) I've seen that discuss superluminal velocities at all tend to put it in terms of _____ distance per _____ time interval. Unless you throw that out entirely, that suggests to me that someone, somewhere, sees that travel as taking place over a given amount of time. However, that doesn't mean everyone does. Taking as an example a drive that allows travel at 1ly/day, either:

A. "Hyperspace" acts just like normal space except for your speed. The problem with this is that it requires you to have a means to still interact with normal space.

B. "Hyperspace" and normal space do not and cannot interact on any level, as your velocity puts an event horizon between you and all normal space.

If "A", then presumably everyone, on the ship or not, considers a 30ly trip to take 30 days, you arrive 30 days older, no weirdness other than the fact that you're able to travel faster than light in the first place.

If "B", then either:

1. You nip out of normal space on a 30ly trip at 1ly/day. You don't exist in normal space for the next 30 days, and come out at your exit point 30 days older. For that 30 days, your ship was effectively a Klein bottle, it had no outside. This can be good, as it gives you down time for training, recovery, etc. before you re-enter normal space. This can be bad, you can't shove the alien queen out the airlock because the ship has no outside for another 30 days.

2. You nip out of normal space on a 30ly trip at 1ly/day. You reappear instantly at your exit point, 30 days older. See advantages and disadvantages of the ship as Klein bottle, above.

3. You nip out of normal space on a 30ly trip at 1ly/day. You've never been in hyperspace before, and you're nervous. As the jump comes up, you gasp and say, "Jesus, Ma--"

and vanish.

30 days later you appear at the exit point and say, "--ry and Joseph." A camera in the interior of the ship would record a single frame during that 30 days.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2012, 10:13:05 AM »
Or for some strange reason you age differently in hyper-space than in N-Space.
MDC 
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2012, 08:05:31 AM »
  I was reading an article about the creation of the universe and quantum fluctuation's and thought hat that might be a great dive as, it has lots of possible energy. You then tie that lots of energy to your reaction that needs lots of energy and your only problem now is how to contain that reaction without going boom in the process.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2012, 09:33:29 AM »
There is a theory out there saying our universe is inside a black hole. Presumably the outside of the black hole is another universe, and then insides of black holes in our universe are other universes. If that's the case, once anyone learns to safely and cost-effectively shunt mass-energy from one "universe" to another, conservation of energy and lightspeed would seem not to present much of a barrier in any given place, since total system mass-energy remains unchanged.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/04/100409-black-holes-alternate-universe-multiverse-einstein-wormholes/
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2012, 12:50:30 PM »
 Is there a total mass energy system if you can keep creating it? Some unifying system? Or system zero? Reminds me a bit of Amber with space thrown in.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2012, 01:54:04 AM »
... once anyone learns to safely and cost-effectively shunt mass-energy from one "universe" to another, conservation of energy and lightspeed would seem not to present much of a barrier in any given place, since total system mass-energy remains unchanged.
But it doesn't change the fact that to break lightspeed you require an infinite amount of energy. And however much energy you can transfer across, you're not going to get an infinite amount. Unless you can transfer that entire other universe's mass into energy... oh, and another infinite amount of universes' worth of matter & energy as well. That's the thing about infinity, it never bloody stops!

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2012, 11:01:49 AM »
That's the thing about infinity, it never bloody stops!

And the other problem is that half of infinity is still infinity.  Which reminds me of a saying we always had back in SENCland: "It would take half of forever." 

rmfr

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2012, 11:55:50 AM »
That's the thing about infinity, it never bloody stops!

And the other problem is that half of infinity is still infinity.  Which reminds me of a saying we always had back in SENCland: "It would take half of forever." 

rmfr

Yes but unfortunately some people focus on the 1/2 part and not the forever part.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.