Author Topic: Thinking of adopting a couple of RMFRP rules into my SM2 game  (Read 1156 times)

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Just a couple of rules have caught my eye as I've leafed through RMFRP.

Spell lists as skills. Your developed skill rank = the level of spell you can cast from the list. I like this as it's more intuitive than the spell list concept, and ends up costing about the same in terms of DP

QU bonus to DB. In RMFRP it's three times the QU bonus. Now, I appreciate that stat bonuses are a lot lower in that game, and attacks come at you a lot fast (like the speed of light, if it's a laser, and that's hard to dodge), but I was wondering about allowing 2x QU stat modifier to be used for DB. At the moment, if someone points a gun at you and has any skill, the best armour in the world isn't going to stop the gun turning you into mincemeat/barbecue/mass of quivering jelly/bespoke wallpaper / combination of all four.

Does anyone have any experience in using these options in SM2, and if so, how did they go?

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: Thinking of adopting a couple of RMFRP rules into my SM2 game
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 07:53:05 AM »
Just a couple of rules have caught my eye as I've leafed through RMFRP.

Spell lists as skills. Your developed skill rank = the level of spell you can cast from the list. I like this as it's more intuitive than the spell list concept, and ends up costing about the same in terms of DP

QU bonus to DB. In RMFRP it's three times the QU bonus. Now, I appreciate that stat bonuses are a lot lower in that game, and attacks come at you a lot fast (like the speed of light, if it's a laser, and that's hard to dodge), but I was wondering about allowing 2x QU stat modifier to be used for DB. At the moment, if someone points a gun at you and has any skill, the best armour in the world isn't going to stop the gun turning you into mincemeat/barbecue/mass of quivering jelly/bespoke wallpaper / combination of all four.

Does anyone have any experience in using these options in SM2, and if so, how did they go?

I did that with the Psion Lists in SM.  After the publication of RMC3, I adopted the Individual Spell Development for both RM and SM.  It works great.  In fact, if you have SM Privateers, you could use the method of Magnitude and Control with Psions.  I love Defendi's example of this:

Quote from: SM:Privateers
Example: Suppose a character has only one rank in his/her Psychokinesis skill category, but has 20 Telekinesis skill ranks.  While s/he might not be able to lift a heavy cat, s/he could thread a needle.

As for the 2x Qu Mod for DB, I never did that.  Let me know how it works out.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline TerryTee

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 06:12:45 PM »
I used half QU for Enery and Projectile for a long time. I guess this was a rule we brought from RM2. That has been removed, and I simply use full QU for DB bonus against all attacks.
Shields etc keeps you safe(er) in SM. I think a bullet should kill you if you have no armor, so the QU should not give too much DB. One option is give high end armor some DB bonus, to reflect that they DO stop a bullet unless it's from a serious gun.

-Terry

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 09:43:10 PM »
Note: in SM:P Kinetic armor stops the crits from bullets but not the actual hits. This can also be a life saver.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.