Author Topic: Workstations in high tech  (Read 4351 times)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Workstations in high tech
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 11:55:55 AM »
For some reason cars get away with not having manual overrides on everything,
I don't think that cars "get away" with anything here, I think that manual override is their base operating procedure. Though, I guess when you talk about electric windows and what-not, but anything critical, like locks, ignition, transmission, all have physical manipulators in addition to their electronic ones. At least in all the cars that I have dealt with, and though I have driven a stick with no power doors or windows for the last ~15 years, I have used and been in plenty of vehicles with such modern conveniences.

But, yeah, you are always going to have "those people" that just don't keep up with modern tech. Heck, as much as I love sci-fi and all that, I don't text, tweet, use or even have a smartphone, and I won't until either: I am filty rich, or they are cheaper, and/or they are truly more like commlinks from Shadowrun. They are getting there.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Workstations in high tech
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 12:23:54 PM »
In a plane, the power window would have an "In case of emergency, break glass and turn crank to lower window" was all I was getting at. . . .this kind of thing is akin to my amusement at a friend bringing a 4TB "media Server" to my house once, and not being able to use it because he'd forgotten the remote, and the unit itself has no buttons on it.

Indeed, I suspect that even if getting an RFID chip implanted in your left wrist becomes a method of payment today, it'll take decades to take over, and people will still take credit cards and cash for decades after that.

The most likely place to see it become universal would be something like fighter pilots, where quick reflexes and tough environmental conditions might make it such a huge advantage to have the pilot completely restrained in an anti shock jell filled egg in the cockpit, with all sensory data and commands executed via implant. (The only reason to put a pilot in the plane at all is to avoid jamming control signals). . .I could see the potential for that job becoming an "If you don't have an implant, you no longer get to perform combat roles." kind of thing. . . .

Most jobs likely not. . .though it may become such a competitive advantage as to make most convert. . .then again, most of those "quick response" roles would be under competition for improving AIs. . .like putting a brain implant in a stock trader is not going to let them keep up with the nanosecond transaction times of the current "expert machines" in terms of fast trading strategies, for that application it's not just the ability to give commands that has shrunk the response loop down, the machines are making choices way faster than any human ever could.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com