Author Topic: What are the differences between SM1, and SM2?  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Mordenkainen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
What are the differences between SM1, and SM2?
« on: November 16, 2011, 11:20:21 PM »
I've never given Spacemaster a thorough look in all the years I've been an ICE fan. I've picked up bits here and there about SM:P, but when I go to look at all the old 1e/2e products I get thoroughly confused. It seems that only 2e is being made available on pdf? Can 1e be safely ignored? What were the changes, and what are the essential books for both of these editions?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: What are the differences between SM1, and SM2?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 12:21:21 AM »
 You might want to go to obknorrs website and see if he has the info you need there. http://www.icewebring.com/

I do not know the difference between 1e and 2e but in RM 1e vs 2e has to do with the combat system.

As to the main books I can see in SM2 that the 3 core books, StarStrike, Armored Assault as being the 5 I would start with. But I do not have all of the products my self and I mainly used the rules for my SM:P game.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 02:43:56 AM »
The complete set of Spacemaster:Privateers books is currently being rebranded and will be available in pdf and, all being well, print-on-demand.

As for the difference between 1e and 2e Spacemaster, I think that has more to do with the 1e version having GM Book, Player Book, and Tech Book as separate "books" and 2e rolling all of these into a single large volume and adding the Spacemaster Companion into that, than changes in content per se.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 01:12:17 PM »
The difference between SM1 [ Tech Law, Future Law] and SM2 [ Tech Book, Player Book, GM Book, Armored Assault, Star Strike ] is more or less the same that exist between RM1 and RM2.

There's some specific stuff though, especially when it comes to vehicular combat which were part of SM1 but are in separate boxes in SM2.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 02:30:09 PM »
  I would also like to say that Armored Assault and Star Strike are for ground Vee and star ship combat. You do not need them unless you want detailed rules for such.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 05:25:51 PM »
A few other minor differences come to mind:
1. 1ed had Mk.11+ missiles, but no torpedoes.  Star Strike missiles were only Mk.6 through Mk.10, but had Torpedoes from Mk.6 through Mk.50.
2. 1ed had design specs for Fission reactors; 2ed did not.
3. 2ed had a *lot* more background on The Imperium and the overall campaign setting.  Items that were mentioned briefly in 1ed get a lot more detail in 2ed (especially the GM book).
4. I seem to recall that the rules for thrown and launched explosives was slightly different.
5. 2ed had rules for Martial Arts; 1ed did not, iirc.
6. 2ed had rules covering Replicant creation and robot creation (though this is an area where Privateers did it far better).
7. Like Rolemaster, 2ed had far more skills than 1ed.

Offline Mordenkainen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 08:34:04 PM »
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like I'm fairly safe in going straight to 2e if I want to start purchasing a few SM products.