Author Topic: SM: P RM Android Starting (Adolescence) Rank Table RM-21.4 Armor Part 0  (Read 2266 times)

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I'm comparing the SM: P RM Android Starting (Adolescence) Skill Rank Table RM-21.4 skills with the ones In SM: P.

Q-1: Is the kinetic armor skill part of the Armor • Light Skill Category per SM: P p. 70 or under the Armor • Medium Skill Category per SM: P p.132?

Armor • Light Skill category SM: P RM p. 70
  Ballistic Cloth skill
  Kinetic skill
  Soft leather skill

SM: P A-4.1 Armor Skill Categories p. 132 has Kinetic Armor as Armor • Medium Skill category. SM: P p. 132
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Kinetic Armor under the light category covers type I and II and Kinetic Armor under medium covers type III and IV, IIRC.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Morning MarkC,

Oops, just noticed that I cited the wrong book in Q-1. SM: P p. 70 is really SM: P RM p. 70

Was kinetic in

Kinetic Armor under the light category covers type I and II and Kinetic Armor under medium covers type III and IV, IIRC.

supposed to be armor/ballistic cloth?

SM: P A-4.1 Armor Skill Categories p. 133 has Armored Cloth as Types I to IV and Kinetic Armor as Types V - VII.

Armored Cloth
Kevlar coverings to protect against ballistic attacks. This armor becomes obsolete with the invention of kinetic armor, but is sometimes worked into clothing, as the technology for making this cloth light and flexible is always one step ahead of kinetic armor.

Type I = Flak Vest (AT I): This is often the classification of light, ballistic armors. It covers only the torso. Armored clothing and armored underclothing is typically this class of armor.

Type II = Extended Flak Vest (AT II): This is heavier ballistic cloth, It covers the torso and shoulders, and is thicker than class I> Armored winter gear, overcoats, and other heavier material often fit this classification.

Type III = Reinforced Flak Vest (AT III): This is heavy, ballistic cloth with metal or combat armor plates. It covers torso, shoulders, and thighs. It is hard to conceal as clothing, but bulky clothing, such as overcoats, is still sometimes made of this type of armor.

Type IV = Reinforced Flak Armor (AT IV): This is heavy, full bodied ballistic cloth with metal or combat armor plates. It covers the entire body. Armored vac suits are often this type of armor.

Kinetic ArmorThis flexible armor becomes rigid when deal a blow. This greatly reduces the effects of projectiles. It absorbs some of the energy from am energy weapon, but is most useful against firearms.

Type V = Kinetic Vest (AT V): This kinetic armor is worked into a vest, covering the torso from the waist up.

Type VI = Kinetic Jacket (AT VI): This kinetic armor is worked into a jacket. It covers the torso, arms, groin, and upper legs.

Type VII = Kinetic Suit (AT VII): This kinetic armor is designed as a full suit. It covers the entire body, and comes complete with gloves, boot coverings and a transparent polymer helmet. It is the preferred armor of bomb squads.

Looking at the details from SM: P and

Now comes the question of:

What does light, medium, and heavy define when relating to armor?

Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
 I will check but I do not know the definition of the categories off the top of my head. I am not at my books right now but if you do have RMSS, SM:P or School of Hard knocks I think they have a description of just what the categories represent.

For fantasy I know that light includes soft leather, medium includes chain and heavy is plate armor. It has been a while so I think hard leather is also in the light category but I could be wrong.
  So you can see they are sort of arbitrary divisions based on weight and movement abilities of the wearer. 

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Thanks MarkC,

Unfortunately I don't have copies of RMSS or Hard Knocks. Out in my storage shed I have a copy of original RoleMaster, I think.

From SM: P A-4.1 Armor Skill Categories pp. 132 -133

Armor • Light Skill category covers Skin (AT 1), Light Hide (AT 3), Heavy Hide (AT 4), Leather Jerkin (AT 5), Reinforced Full-Length Leather (AT 11),  Half-Hide Plate, Full-Hide Plate, and Armored Cloth AT (I )to AT (IV). AT 2, 6, 7, 9, 10, and 13 - 20 primitive types that are detailed in Future Law. SM: P Future Law p. 39 adds Soft Leather and Rigid Leather.

Armor • Medium Skill category covers Kinetic Armor and SM: P Future Law p. 39 adds Chain.

Unfortunately, I can't find any more detail.
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
 The armor categories are arbitrary. I looked for a definition of them in RMSS and SOHK and did not see any and now that I think about it this was the decision that Rasyr came to a while ago.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
To be honest - you lose *nothing* by amalgamating the armors into a single category ... (although this is admittedly a house rule). This holds true for RM as well as SM

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Thanks MarkC and Cormac Doyle for looking into the SM: P armor skill categories and the armor types for me.

I'm trying to put together a skill list using SM: P, SM: P RM, and SM: P Future Law (FL). Of course the whole thing started with SM: P VM.

Again thanks for the help and suggestions, I think the middle ground is to use SM: P Armor • Light, Medium, and Heavy armor skills with SM: FL additions in SM: P RM.
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I have found it easiest to include the skills from RMSS in SM:P where appropriate.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Good suggestion MarkC, the small issue is that I don't own a copy of RMSS. I did find the box for my original RM books, unfortunately they are not in the box. Hopefully I'll re-discover where I put them.
Tom R

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Evening MarkC,

I purchased the electronic copies of Rolemaster Fantasy Role Playing, Gamemaster Law, RMFRP Arms Law, and RMFRP Character Law.

Are these the right ones?
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  Yes those will help a lot. I do not know if you had the chance to pick up electronic RMSS but I tend to like it better than RMFRP. But I suspect that it is down in the redo que with others coming before it. I tend to like RMSS core because it has all of the rule for PC creation and running the game in one book, then you pick up RMSS Spell Law and RMSS Arms Law and you have the system in 3 books. RMFRP spread it out over the core book, Ch Law, Arms Law and 3 Of (.....) Spell Law books. As I said you get a little more info in the RMFRP bundle but IMHO the compact nature (3 books) of RMSS was great.

Yes those will help with some of the skill info and help you make a master skill list. Once in a while a new skill is added but that is easy to take case of IMHO as you can simply add it to the right category.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Afternoon MarkC,

Thanks for confirming I pulled was in the right area. The stuff I downloaded was under the RMSS link at DriveThruRPG.com. I'm fairly sure that my SM: P stuff was downloaded from DriveThruRPG too, but all the e-books seem to have pulled from the online inventory.

I found my Star Trek books while looking for my original RM books. Unfortunately, the RM books are still in hiding, which means I'll find them when looking for something else.

Again thanks for the confirmation.
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Afternoon MarkC,

Thanks for confirming I pulled was in the right area. The stuff I downloaded was under the RMSS link at DriveThruRPG.com. I'm fairly sure that my SM: P stuff was downloaded from DriveThruRPG too, but all the e-books seem to have pulled from the online inventory.

I found my Star Trek books while looking for my original RM books. Unfortunately, the RM books are still in hiding, which means I'll find them when looking for something else.

Again thanks for the confirmation.

I do not have Star Trek but I know the feeling that it is nice to find an old good game when looking for something else.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I agree 100% with that.
Tom R