Author Topic: Guild Companion December 2010 (#142)  (Read 3194 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Guild Companion December 2010 (#142)
« on: December 10, 2010, 03:23:32 AM »
Greetings from the Guild Companion:

The December 2010 issue (#142) is now available at www.guildcompanion.com

In this month's issue, a new Undead being for all editions of Rolemaster, a variant simplified skill system for RMSS/FRP, and our monthly progress report.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Athelstaine

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Guild Companion December 2010 (#142)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 05:28:02 AM »
Interesting take on the reduced skills article. While i myself never really had an issue with the number of skills. I do admit there are some i have combined or outright got rid of. My players do at times comment on the redundancy of some of the skills. Our group used to play 2nd edtition as i am the only one who runs a RMFRP version.
May i serve in Valhalla, better than i did in life.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 06:42:19 AM »
I had the impression that some people here in the forums use RM2 mainly because they did not like the vast number of skills RMSS/RMFRP offers. Such people might use the guidelines presented in the article to get around this perceived problem.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 02:59:45 PM »
I quite like the alternative approach to everyman and occupational skills.. though I've never really had a problem with them. One thing I do like about that particular aspect of dealing with them, is that they are an immediate benift.. much the same as the Profession Bonuses in RMSS being "lumped", instead of a gradual increase when the skills are actually purchased. Also gets around the "non-applicability" when an everyman relevent skill is recieved as part of a Training package.

Offline Athelstaine

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 06:16:50 PM »
Agreed, i am going to approach my players with the idea of the EV and OCC skills presented and see how they take to it.
May i serve in Valhalla, better than i did in life.

Offline Moriarty

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 01:26:24 PM »
The simplified skill system is logical, consistent, and easy. Pretty much what I would have done.

One can only wonder if the RMSS systems fate would have been different, if a similar approach to simplifying the skill system had been taken before its publication.

One thing that would make this article even more useful is a complete list of the actual costs of each of the skills on the reduced skill list per profession, instead of only the category costs.
...the way average posters like Moriarty read it.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 03:20:21 PM »
One thing that would make this article even more useful is a complete list of the actual costs of each of the skills on the reduced skill list per profession, instead of only the category costs.
In RMSS/RMFRP the category costs equal the costs of the skills in a category. Therefore this is IMO not missing. Or did I misunderstand your request?

Offline Moriarty

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 04:06:06 PM »
The costs are not missing, no, but there is some work left to the reader/end user in the form of figuring out which skill goes into which (obsolete) skill category to figure out the skill cost. For example, if I want to know the skill cost for swimming, I first have to either know or look up which skill category swimming belongs to. I'm sure this is not a problem for experienced RMSS players/GMs, since they have all the categories memorized..

My suggestion, or request if you will, is a table that shows all the skill costs straight up like the one in the back of RM2 Companion II.
...the way average posters like Moriarty read it.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 07:11:06 AM »
Ah, thanks, now I understand. In a few days I am planning to upload the PDF of the articel to my homepage. I may then add such a section.