Author Topic: IYO what goes into learning a spell on a spell list?  (Read 924 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
IYO what goes into learning a spell on a spell list?
« on: September 12, 2010, 08:40:15 AM »
In your opinion what does a person have to do to learn a spell on a spell list? (I am talking about in game and not just spending DP.) Do they have to just study? Practice casting? ETC?   

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: IYO what goes into learning a spell on a spell list?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 08:43:33 AM »
The way that I picture it is that the character has to first study the basic concepts from written material. He then has to practice shaping the magical energies in ways that are unique for the spells that he is learning.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 02:31:05 PM »
I depends on if you want the characters to have downtime from adventuring to learn new stuff. Since enforced downtime is seldom desired from a story teller point of view I think it is reasonable to default to that the education of a profession include the basic theory needed for all spells. Thus what is missing is essentially self studies to cast the spell and any period when you go back to school.
/Pa Staav

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 09:13:46 PM »
I say that to cast a spell, you first have to know what a "thing" really is, like fire, cold, sleep, mental states, a bone, flying, etc.  As a spell user studies and learns the nature of more things, his spell knowledge expands.

In my game when a spell user is going to learn a NEW list I demand a research roll (using the SM research tables).  Once the research is done (typically months, weeks if lucky/very high Em mod), the PC knows "thing" the list is based on.  All additional spells on a list are variations on the theme of the "thing", so no further research is required, just exp and dev pts.

So spell users are always studying, meditating, doing weird experiments, etc.  When a "thing" is so well known, alchemy allows the pattern of the thing to be imposed on vellum, swords, staves, rings, whatever.

For a spell to work, the esseance must be so well woven into the very fabric of the "thing" to make it appear that great empathy is required by some or amazing prescence of the mind.  One takes a form of understanding it, while the other focuses more on not losing awareness of self being compared to "it".  Essence users of course claim thats rubbish, no mage loses himself, but this misconception pervades menatalist users.

Channeling is simular in that the user must have TOTAL faith.  He must believe and believe in nothing else, to the core of his being, that his GOD is rightious and the ONLY way, be it holy or unholy.  In complete surender to his LORD, he gains the peity to weild his MASTERS power.  The channeler only loves his LORD all the more because of it.  Service is obedience, and obedience is service.  Some Gods are more forgiving than others in how that love is expressed.  So prayer, meditation, study of religious text, spreading the word and discovery of anything that brings Honor, glory, power and PROOF of HIS greatness.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.