Author Topic: Revised SW books  (Read 10311 times)

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
Re: Revised SW books
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2013, 06:39:29 PM »
Quote from: Terry Amthor on June 28, 2013, 02:25:30 AM
I'm curious why Eidolon is at #2. There's not much I'd like to change about this book (suggestions?). I think it did get the most positive reviews of all the Shadow World books (I sure did pour my heart into that map, hand coloring it. I have yet to reproduce that look digitally, but I may try again with a Paint program, as I have not been happy with what I can do with PS.

The reason I voted for a redo of Eidolon is because I feel it is self contained, while it should be tied in to both Jaiman and Emer. Not enough flying boats in the module, not enough on foreign trade and exotic produce being brought in. As a city it is grand and worked out in good detail, but I would like to see more interesting details worked out (like the flying ships and Eidolon itself) and how it could serve as a base of operations between Jaiman and Emer. Introduce lots of intrigue between the factions and build on the myriad of story lines from the Jaiman and Emer modules.

Anyway: just some ideas...
Game On!

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2013, 03:13:26 AM »
Working on Eidolon and adding in the RMSS/RMFRP stats, and it seems like our busy stat converter person included all the skills and spells for the NPCs in the back of the book! So I'll be including those for the RM2 stats now of course *sigh*. I'm hoping to add a couple of new adventures, a little more information about trade and relations with other centers, and maybe a few ship/skyship plans if I feel the urge. Perhaps the Naristral and the Starwind
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2013, 12:59:26 PM »
Can't wait to see how it comes out. Eidolon always was the best city module, next to Minas Tirith, so anything added could make it stand out more!
Game On!

Offline Jraffa

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2013, 12:13:37 AM »
Gentlemen,
I was just looking through my favorite module "The Iron Wind" and two things came up. Being almost 49yrs old now my eyes aren't what they used to be and I could barely read that small print that was used all those years ago. If you ever get around to a second edition I would gladly pay for an extra 10 pages or so to blow up the maps and use a  larger font. Second on the back cover is a reference to two "upcoming modules" Cynor:the Cursed Oasis and The Gates of Geheanna. Is there a possibility of these two being resurrected and brought back to us or are they lost forever?

Thanks for your hard work guys

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2013, 03:55:42 AM »
Gentlemen,
I was just looking through my favorite module "The Iron Wind" and two things came up. Being almost 49yrs old now my eyes aren't what they used to be and I could barely read that small print that was used all those years ago. If you ever get around to a second edition I would gladly pay for an extra 10 pages or so to blow up the maps and use a  larger font. Second on the back cover is a reference to two "upcoming modules" Cynor:the Cursed Oasis and The Gates of Geheanna. Is there a possibility of these two being resurrected and brought back to us or are they lost forever?

Thanks for your hard work guys

There was a thread about those two that said that nothing was ever done on them.

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=5799.msg
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2013, 11:56:10 AM »
Yes and no, The Gates of Geheanna are supposed to have been released as Gethaena, Underearth Emer, while Cynor got lost in limboes as far as I ( we ) know.

Now while Terry was clear in the previous thread about Cynor, the link for yet an older thread is dead ( due to the passing of the old old old forums ) where the hints about Geheanna was given.

514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2013, 12:21:31 PM »
Gethaena could do with a complete redo, given that it leaves large holes in the landscape. I doubt that a rewrite is possible, so it probably needs starting again from scratch.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2013, 03:19:49 PM »
Gethaena could do with a complete redo, given that it leaves large holes in the landscape. I doubt that a rewrite is possible, so it probably needs starting again from scratch.

I do not believe this excellent book fits into Terry's vision of SW, and though I own two copies, I would purchase a rewrite (especially if done by Terry).  Same with Curse of Kabis.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2013, 06:54:37 PM »
Ah lots of interesting discussion.

Gethaena, Underearth Emer is in fact the same as the old announced Loremaster Module (more ore less). While I don't consider it necessarily Shadow World 'canon,' it's a fascinating book, and certainly could exist deep underground somewhere via the Ash Lairs. As far as a revision, that's unlikely. Anything happening with Kabis is even more unlikely.

Cynor never made it past an early draft, and the ms is long lost.

Iron Wind actually has had much of the book text OCR scanned, and I even poured it into an Indesign file. However many of the old layouts need to be scanned. Also, this would be more of a 'reformat' than a real 'Second Edition.' I already have so many irons in the fire with new books and revising my own SW books to do much with it more than a cleanup. I also would feel a little strange revising Pete, Olivia and Heike's work. If you all are interested in an update, please make your desires know to the powers that be and if there is enough interest, we can put it in the pipeline.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2013, 08:41:16 PM »
Iron Wind actually has had much of the book text OCR scanned, and I even poured it into an Indesign file. However many of the old layouts need to be scanned. Also, this would be more of a 'reformat' than a real 'Second Edition.' I already have so many irons in the fire with new books and revising my own SW books to do much with it more than a cleanup. I also would feel a little strange revising Pete, Olivia and Heike's work. If you all are interested in an update, please make your desires know to the powers that be and if there is enough interest, we can put it in the pipeline.

A "Return to the Iron Wind" sequel would be interesting as well. I plopped Mur Fostisyr (sp) on to my world and the players had a grand old time poking about. 1st half ended with a giant battle in Denirok's fortress (one PC's patrons sought his compass). 2nd half with an assault on the Syrkakang's citadel (Jyka Brust got himself vaporized in the process).
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline ellemeno

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2014, 08:17:53 AM »
I think I would prefer to see Emer IV ahead of anything else.

The main think I would like to see more than anything else is maps that I can print out and write on.  I like a lot of the color maps from the recent products - they're very pretty.  However the backgroud are universally very dark when printed - too dark to make my own annotations and have them readable.  The Bay of Izar map is especially good because of this.

I would especially like to have the continent maps from the master atlas in a format with light backgrounds.  To look at on the screen, the maps from the atlas v3 are better than the v4 maps.  Printed it's the other way around, but neither are good.  (However, the v4 atlas has those horrible sidebars that consume massive amounts of toner.)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2014, 09:44:32 AM »
I think I would prefer to see Emer IV ahead of anything else.

The main think I would like to see more than anything else is maps that I can print out and write on.  I like a lot of the color maps from the recent products - they're very pretty.  However the backgroud are universally very dark when printed - too dark to make my own annotations and have them readable.  The Bay of Izar map is especially good because of this.

I would especially like to have the continent maps from the master atlas in a format with light backgrounds.  To look at on the screen, the maps from the atlas v3 are better than the v4 maps.  Printed it's the other way around, but neither are good.  (However, the v4 atlas has those horrible sidebars that consume massive amounts of toner.)

re Emer IV, well considering it's in outline stage right now, it could be awhile.

However, re the maps, I can see your problem. I don't see why we can't include a screened-back grayscale map with no labels as part of the GM handouts PDF, that would be available with Emer III after the errata (previous purchasers can download the updated file free!).

Oh and as long as I have my way, you'll never see those sidebar borders again. They weren't my idea!
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2014, 02:00:47 PM »
Agreed whole heartedly about the maps; I am always printing them out and doing some minor alterations to them.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2014, 04:53:19 PM »
May be a new product a Shadow World digital Map Pack needs to be put into the works somewhere?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2014, 11:54:20 PM »
May be a new product a Shadow World digital Map Pack needs to be put into the works somewhere?
MDC

Nice idea. There were some nice maps done of other regions as well in other books; sadly those files are long gone (if they were ever digital). I wish I still had access to an 11x17 scanner.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2014, 12:29:34 AM »
Maybe a print shop or a law firm might be able to give you some help. It might be also good to add this to the SW SM2 archieve project.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.