Author Topic: Jodai College  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Micco

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Jodai College
« on: February 16, 2014, 09:11:51 PM »
I'm planning a campaign for a new generation of gamers and thought I'd use Jodai College as their starting point. It seems like a great place to have the first few adventures while they are still in school (or are somehow attached to the school if they want to be a bit older.) I also get to introduce a bit of initial politics for the region since the children of all the movers and shakers in the region are educated there. I see it as a bit like Hogwarts with both magical and mundane education. I really like introducing the family, regional and global conflicts in a context that lower powered characters can still make a meaningful impact. It will also be very engaging environment for the mid-teen players in the group that few up with the Potter books. (...not that I am copying that story, just the good idea of using a school as a base to get a group of characters working together.)

Is there any more detailed info out there on the college and/or that portion of the Bay of Izar? The college looks to be about 50 miles from the coast, and almost 100 miles from a village. I think I'm going to have to put at least one village a bit closer than that. I'm thinking of fleshing out the area to be rather feudal, at least along the coast. I assume that woods surrounding it won't be that settled. Any thoughts?

I'm also looking for any good ideas for adventures, hooks, etc for around that area. I'm guessing that several power-groups will have contacts at the school, and I'm thinking that at least one of the teachers is a Jerek Ahrenæk agent.

So what else should I be considering?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Jodai College
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 09:43:11 PM »
there is a SW module that covers a magic college.  I forget which one, but you could plant it and or use the maps in it whole sale.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline geh4th

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 11:41:31 PM »
The module yammahoper referred to is Journey to the Magic Isle. While it fully details a college of magic - all of the RM classic pure/hybrid/semi spell using disciplines are represented, as I recall - I've always considered the backstory (what there is of it) of the place to be rather corny. I am pretty certain that it's not considered SW canon.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 04:59:24 AM »
The college itself could easily have an attached village that it owns, in order to have a local source of supplies. The village is likely to have at least basic fortifications, or the college and village may be enclosed together in one palisade or wall. The area might be close enough to Slyk to be at least partially controlled, or at least patrolled, by that city, especially if there's a road leading to it.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 06:01:03 AM »
The module yammahoper referred to is Journey to the Magic Isle. While it fully details a college of magic - all of the RM classic pure/hybrid/semi spell using disciplines are represented, as I recall - I've always considered the backstory (what there is of it) of the place to be rather corny. I am pretty certain that it's not considered SW canon.

To paraphrase Gandalf in Moria... "I have no memory of that module."
Actually I remember it now that it was mentioned, but I'd completely forgotten about it.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 07:46:17 AM »

Yep  :)

But the NPC's are detailed and the maps are perfect.  I recommend inserting your own storyline for sure.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Micco

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 01:16:30 PM »
Thanks all. I purchased a copy of the recommended module and should have it in a few days. I'll take a look at it and either use it or create my own version of the college based off of this 1570s map of Cambridge.

With no other information to go on,I'll need to come up with the rationale for who started the college, why it is so far from anything and what's interesting about it. I definitely don't want it to be a 'college of magic', so it will likely be upgraded to a University with several colleges including the typical studies plus the magical ones. Since it is so close to the source of Saliva I think it might make it particularly well-known for naturalism and herbalism.

Is there a net-book like wiki site for TSW where people can detail out small areas so that others can use them in their campaigns? If there is, I'd be happy to start a Jodai College entry if it would be useful.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 03:58:14 PM »
Is there a net-book like wiki site for TSW where people can detail out small areas so that others can use them in their campaigns? If there is, I'd be happy to start a Jodai College entry if it would be useful.

There isn't any such resource, but if your college isn't just a modification of Magic Isle, you could see if the Guild Companion wants to publish it as a supplement. Alternatively, it could be uploaded to the Vault here.
I made some things! Azukail Games