Author Topic: TKA has died  (Read 2093 times)

Offline kyussopeth

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
TKA has died
« on: October 01, 2021, 06:35:32 PM »
I imagine this forum would want to talk about this.

We will miss him, but his friends & family are feeling real pain right now. My condolences to them.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: TKA has died
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 08:58:05 PM »
What?!?! When?!?! How?!? Damn it all!
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 03:42:05 AM »
My heartfelt condolences to his family. Shadow World is a masterpiece. He'll be sorely missed.

ICE Announcement

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 03:56:31 AM »
Hello everyone .

I am very sorry to hear this, my condonleces to the family and friends and everyone had the pleasure of knowing him. A friend had just told me about this bad news knowing that i loved his work.

I have been away of this game-world once i become father but  enjoyed a lot ot time playing, reading, preparing games with his creations. I had spoke with him by email a few times to let him know that i loved his work and could feel he was a great person.

I have noticied that i haven't enter the forums in a lot of years and is sad that i came back for such sad thing, i will take a look to some many posts through these years.

Sometimes i had dream of playing with my kids in his world that i enjoyed so much in books to come, but sadly it will not be. But i will cherish the memories, laughs and good moments with my friends forever. Thank you for everything Terry !!

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 04:18:28 AM »
May Eissa great him well.!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 05:59:11 AM »

Quellbourne: Land of the Silver Mist was my first Shadow World book and it was amazing.  I've read through that book countless times just for enjoyment's sake.  The stories managed to give me new ideas, I'd find a little tidbit I had forgotten, or I'd relive memories of games past.  I started collecting all of the Companions over the years, but Quellbourne still remains my favorite.

It's early Sunday morning here, the news is sad, and I'm looking at the mist in the field beyond my property.  It looks like Quellbourne is calling.

We all miss you Terry.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Frabby

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 06:44:34 AM »
Whaaa…?!  :(
RIP good sir!

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 07:28:55 AM »
Rest in peace Terry. My condolences to his family.

A world in his mind, shared with so many. We may only ever get to know about a fraction of all the parties that make Kulthea their home every gaming session. For entertainment, for escape, for a moment with friends.

There is a lot of content created over the years, and so many hints of more to come. GMs will continue to build and adventure in this wonderful world, and while Terry will not be there to paint the whole picture, his vision will be in every noble house, each ruin explored, and all of the cultures that dot the land.

Thank you TKA :'(

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 11:50:06 AM »
I will surely miss TKA as he has given me and others great pieces of work that he has tirelessly worked on. May he look down upon us enjoying his vision and work an smile that he has made a mark among others in this world. My heartfelt condolences to his close family and friends and know that he has many friends upon us that will miss him in return.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Dalewarrior

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 05:19:33 PM »
I liked a lot Terry's modules. My condolences to his family and friends.

Offline metallion

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Winterdream Online
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 09:12:42 PM »
I am devastated.

May his memory be for a blessing.

Offline GM

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Nerdcon
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 03:32:21 AM »
Terrys modules were some of the best RPG modules ever written.
His dedication to SW han the community around it was legendary.
Loved looking for his small pop-culture Easter eggs when reading his works.

RIP Terry,
"It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain. If we are wise, what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world, because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past."

G'Kar - Babylon 5

Offline Kiesnowski

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2021, 11:26:05 AM »
We have truly lost one of the giants in role-playing games. I have been playing a Rolemaster since its release. There was a wonderful game store at UC Berkeley called Games of Berkeley that carried all of the ICE products. It was the only store that I ever found that carried them. The store is now gone. I still have all of my original games. I still read them every week and I created new scenarios and adventures for my players. I have had the good fortune to interact with Joel Lovell to help him playtest some of the rules and the Companion series. Early in my gaming career I did have the opportunity to meet Gary Gygax and played some early D&D games. Nothing ever captured my imagination like the products produced through ICE. Whether it was Middle Earth Gaming, Shadow World, Space Master... All of the systems brought true detail into gaming. I never had the opportunity to meet Terry but his memory will live on. Every time we play game we should send a silent prayer to those who had the forethought and imagination to create a world in which we can play. He will be greatly missed. My thoughts and prayers to his family.

Offline Jakob

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Otherland Bookshop - The No. 1 Adress for Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror and Role-Playing Games in Berlin, Germany
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 06:52:13 AM »
I've been away from these forums for a while, but the news of TKA's death struck me ... it's not that I knew and not even that I'm all too familiar with his work (Shadow World remaining one of the huge gaps in my RPG biography, one I intend to close), but his MERP work has a very specific place in my heart.
I wrote a smal obituary here:

http://swanosaurus.blogspot.com/2021/10/the-great-modules-of-late-terry-k-amthor.html

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2021, 03:01:23 AM »
What Terry created had some of the most important impact in my gaming days. He will be missed.
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --

Offline Syssiah

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World Addict
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2021, 11:30:40 AM »
Rest in peace Mr Amthor ;_;