Author Topic: Throwing Stones  (Read 735 times)

Offline Falconer

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Throwing Stones
« on: November 26, 2023, 02:15:53 PM »
If any Hobbit stooped for a stone, it was well to get quickly under cover, as all trespassing beasts knew very well.

With a sudden flick, quick as lightning, an apple left his hand and hit Bill square on the nose. He ducked too late, and curses came from behind the hedge. ‘Waste of a good apple,’ said Sam regretfully, and strode on.

—The Fellowship of the Ring

I don’t see any explicit rules for throwing rocks or stones (or apples), but I gather it would be handled as follows:

Weapon Class: Thrown Projectiles
Fumble: 01-06 or 01-05
Attack Size/Type: Small Crush
Range Increment: 5'
Point Blank: +0
Point Blank Range:

If someone more knowledgeable could double-check this, I’d appreciate it!

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Throwing Stones
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 11:27:12 PM »
If throwing a chain, boomerang or bola has a fumble rate of 1-6, I would expect throwing a stone to have a lower one. Maybe 1-3 ?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2023, 08:57:27 AM »
RMU has stats for rocks and throwing them (weights that determine size, ranges, fumbles, etc.). They might be helpful.

'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Falconer

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 10:26:54 AM »
Perhaps a Range Increment of 10' would be more appropriate:

If throwing a chain, boomerang or bola has a fumble rate of 1-6, I would expect throwing a stone to have a lower one. Maybe 1-3 ?

That sounds good to me. But it’s not clear to me if individual weapons are supposed to have their own fumble ranges, or whether it is always meant to be by Weapon Class. Bola and Boomerang are given a fumble range of 01-05 in multiple places, but isn’t it supposed to be 01-06 for all Thrown Projectiles? I don’t know if it’s an error or meant to be like that.

RMU has stats for rocks and throwing them (weights that determine size, ranges, fumbles, etc.). They might be helpful.

Cool! I don’t need a lot of detail, but if someone familiar with both systems could eyeball a conversion, that could come in handy!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 10:41:59 AM »
Small rock - - - 70 0.5 3 10' 20' 30' 40' 50' -1 Rock
Rock - - - 70 2 3 15' 30' 45' 60' 75' Rock
Heavy rock (2H) - - - 90 8 3 10' 20' 30' 40' 50' +1 Rock

Those stats are Breakage number, weight, Fumble, range increments, size of attack chart
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle