Author Topic: ERA for RMU  (Read 612 times)

Offline Jarwyn

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
ERA for RMU
« on: July 03, 2023, 03:14:58 PM »
I have got ERA for RMU - loaded the core module and spell law module. Not created any characters yet as wanted to see how it all worked before taking that time. Have some questions that are not answered in the tutorials.

Combat - does not seem to flow like the video - mainly of course because RMU does not follow RM snap, normal etc method.
So I added the two sample characters and a thug - generated initiative - all good so far created a line of images for the order of the first round..
Then clicked the portrait (in the initiative line)  for first character and said it was going to do a ranged attack - "add selected" it - then clicked accept - and saw nothing in the window or anything to indicated this choice.
I can click the image for that character in the upper corner and do an ranged attack but I thought the idea was to use the initiative image to set the combat.

So confused - can you explain what i am missing?

Also used Lavan as toon and he has some spells - so I used the combat attack of directed spell and it allowed an attack on the thug - but i did not choose what direct spell I was using and in fact the character does not know a spell. He has some fire magic but the direct spell did Krush damage.

I think I am missing something in the sequence but because the tutorial is about old RM i cannot see what i am doing wrong.

Also how do I add more creatures to the module, i cannot use the creatures from standard RM as they would have wrong AT etc - so how do you manually add baddies?

Thank you

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA for RMU
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2023, 05:41:32 PM »
I'll answer in parts

Combat - does not seem to flow like the video - mainly of course because RMU does not follow RM snap, normal etc method.
So I added the two sample characters and a thug - generated initiative - all good so far created a line of images for the order of the first round..
Then clicked the portrait (in the initiative line)  for first character and said it was going to do a ranged attack - "add selected" it - then clicked accept - and saw nothing in the window or anything to indicated this choice.
I can click the image for that character in the upper corner and do an ranged attack but I thought the idea was to use the initiative image to set the combat.

That's because ERA does not know when you've accumulated enough APs to execute the action. That has to be done manually.
The current version requires declaring initative, then go in sequence declaring AP use, and when the GM defines the action can be resolved, you use the radial menu just like you described.

Sorry for the lack of a combat tutorial, initially I prepared the character creation ones, then waited to see if there was enough interest in more, but it got quite outvoted in the poll I made.

After the ERA online server is up and running, tutorial videos are a priority, but that is still in the future. In the meantime, do ask questions here and in the era-for-rolemaster channel of the ICE Discord.

Also used Lavan as toon and he has some spells - so I used the combat attack of directed spell and it allowed an attack on the thug - but i did not choose what direct spell I was using and in fact the character does not know a spell. He has some fire magic but the direct spell did Krush damage.

Lavan has the OB for elemental bolt because he has enough ranks to have a positive bonus, but he can't use it unless he prepares some spell first. And as you have seen, by default he doesn't have any. This is mainly because RMU does not restrict developing this skill even if you don't have any directed spell to practice with. Of course you can house-rule that in a different way for your gaming group.
If he had enough ranks in a spell list, you'd first cast the spell, then launch the attack.

The attack is using an incorrect table because the base product does not include any bolt attack table, and no elemental critical.
If you purchase and install Spell Law, you could configure it to the expected values.

Also how do I add more creatures to the module, i cannot use the creatures from standard RM as they would have wrong AT etc - so how do you manually add baddies?

You need to add new files to the RMU/Configuration/Creatures directory. Use the provided Thug.creature.XML and Fire Caster.creature.XML as examples. And of course ask any question about that here or in Discord.

Thanks for your questions and your interest in ERA.