Author Topic: Silk Armor  (Read 2793 times)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Silk Armor
« on: May 14, 2010, 07:26:22 AM »
From the Wikipedia article "Mongolian Armor":

Genghis Khan was once said to have issued all his horsemen with silk vests, as an arrow hitting silk does not break it but ends up embedded in the flesh wrapped in silk, allowing the arrow to be removed by gently teasing the silk open, as opposed to the usual method of removing barbed arrows, cutting them out or pushing them right through an injured limb and out of the other side. These silk vests functioned much like the padded armour used by European and Byzantine soldiers of the era, such as the gambeson.

How does this translate into Rolemaster terms?  Armor class or + to DB vs missile fire?
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Silk Armor
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 08:09:41 AM »
If you allowed this, I would consider it as Robes, AT 2 and 1 step Crit reduction vs Piercing.

That might be too powerful.
The Cyberpunk2020 game had similar tropes. Everything was Kevlar this and Kevlar that..
Doesn't matter if you have a Kevlar bandanna or t-shirt, you're still getting stuck, but the projectile is now covered with cloth, in your body. 

I'm not saying that the Khan's armor was anything like that silliness. But for encumbrance I'd say Robes. Hey.. maybe that's why Mages wear robes. If they're made of silk and can reduce arrow crits....
I kinda like the image of a mage in robes. Maybe now, I have a reason. It isn't necessary, just a dress code around the Guild; other people don't realize that it's actually armor.
Thanks!
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Michael Petrea

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 08:21:07 AM »
I agree with idea of crit reduction as opposed to DB since the description potrays the armor as making it easier to heal the wound, not making you less likely to be hit.  Also, it seems that having a wad of silk stuffed into the wound would help with bleeding as well.  So, if you think that crit reduction is too powerful, then maybe -1 to bleed/hits per rnd from puncture crits.

I would hate to impose AT2 on anyone though.  That's just mean.  ;)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 10:05:22 AM »
 I might be wrong here, but maybe there's a "quality" crit reduction for armor in the AlcCo.
It might be very expensive outside the region/culture used, less so, if you're the Khan.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"