Author Topic: Map of Folenn  (Read 6172 times)

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Map of Folenn
« on: February 27, 2009, 06:29:55 AM »
Does anyone have a digital version of the map of Folenn?  My atlas (3rd edition) does not seem to have much info, let alone a map of it.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
Re: Map of Folenn
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 07:09:41 AM »
There's one in Terry's download archive: http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/wa/default?user=terbob&templatefn=FileSharing1.html&xmlfn=TKDocument.2.xml&sitefn=RootSite.xml&aff=consumer&cty=US&lang=en
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 08:50:08 AM »
Additionally, some better quality versions of those maps can be found in the Bladelands product on ICE's Online Store -- [Dead Link Removed by Admin]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 08:51:16 AM by Thom @ ICE, Reason: [Dead Link Removed by Admin] »

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 06:43:49 AM »
Isn't the bladelands setting "removed" from SW? 

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 07:25:19 AM »
I think not exactly. Some of the stuff from the Bladelands has been used in Terry's supplements. Jewel Wells in Xa'ar, and the Steel Rain were originally from Folenn. (Folenn is the bladelands)

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 07:54:11 AM »
Isn't it more the reverse...

Terry created Folenn elements in SW with the intention to flesh Folenn out later. After he left the company Curtis decided he would make Bladelands into the new official setting of Rolemaster that had little if anything to do with SW.

Since no Bladelands roleplaying products ever came into light I think it is safe to guess there was quality concerns about his setting that from the sound of it on the mailing lists used an awful lot of house rules.
/Pa Staav

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 08:56:06 AM »
The Bladelands setting that Curtis wanted to was basically a re-shaped continent of Folenn that was encapsulated in a magical bubble traveling through space. His idea was to totally blow up Shadow World to get it to that point.

You also had the Hues (reminiscent of the Sunbane from the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant), which had different effects on different days, depending upon the color. The Hues also had major effects upon characters. Elves were crystaline beings born out of gem-pools. There was an underground city (sunken) populated by twisted dwarves and rules over by an undead dragon (shades of Dragonlance) and that is only what I remember from the top of my head....

When Curtis left the old ICE he also left with the right to control the setting, even if ICE was the one doing the publishing. Then the old ICE went away and the new ICE came to be, and Curtis "announced" that he was going to publish it (without discussing it first with the new ICE). ICE did not want to be associated with such a setting and did not want Rolemaster used with it (there was lots more, that I don't remember off the top of my head that caused ICE to have issues with it -- and no, I won't even try to go further into those issues, or any more details regarding the setting).

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 01:31:16 PM »
hmmm.....

I always wondered where the steel rain came from.  Is there any other material surrounding Folenn?  A friend (and co-GM) and I are developing it for use in our games, run periodically together, but very far apart.  I'm in Ottawa, he's in Belleville ON,  but we often do weekending with the same group.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 02:07:03 PM »
The only real material is in the Bladestorm Sourcebook, although that's aimed more at miniatures gaming than RPGing. There is some background material though.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 03:31:13 PM »
If you want material on Folenn (as part of Shadow World), then your two main sources would be the Bladestorm minis game, which includes a bit of information, even if it isn't in RM stats, AND the Shadow World product, Powers of Light & Darkness, which IIRC, does contain info on the Steel Rain and other Folenn organizations.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 12:17:59 PM »
Steel Rain was initially invented by Pete Fenlon for the Bladestorm mini game set in Folenn; I expanded their information in Powers.

Curtis left ICE under a bit of a cloud, as I remember....  :o
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 12:25:44 PM »
The only source of informations regarding Folenn are :
Master Atlases 3 and 4, Some obscure references in Islands of the Oracle that are not really worth bothering looking for them, Bladestorm Skirmish Boxed Set [ this game was 20 years too soon... it would probably rock right now with the proper mini support ], and Bladestorm Bestiary.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 11:09:10 PM »
I picked up the Bladestorm Boxed set several months ago and am really anxious to paint up figures (using generic old lead figures) and give it a go.  Too many projects.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 08:19:45 AM »
Is there a set of Minis in stock? I could only find the PDF, which I am not too interested in truthfully.  Well, from what I understand about Folenn....some Ordainer and his minions have basically conquered it and are using an Ash Gate to invade Palia(I think?).  There is a Vault there were some young Duskwalkers were sent to ride out the wars, and now one has awoken.  His contact with the outside (continents) is minimal because of the Flow Storms that surround Folenn.  Geographically, is it Sub Arctic?  I have Atlas Editions 2-3, And even the Geography is thin in those....

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 09:25:22 AM »
There are no minis in stock, and although you can buy some here and there on ebay there was never actually a full line of them produced.   From what I understand they were rather terrible too.   However you can use any generic figures...it is a skirmish game so focused more on a fewer number of figures rather then big armies.

I'm not sure about the climate, I think it spans a larger range then sub-arctic.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 09:49:28 AM »
According to the Sourcebook climate is warm and temperate.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 06:43:20 AM »
Warm & Temperate.  Cool. 8)

Offline darb

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 06:02:08 PM »
I always wish they had done more with Bladestorm.  The game was good, I hope the rumored HARP mini game is as good and much better supported (I can dream a little dream).

The setting though is... not one of the better ones.  It seems designed for effect for a minis game and I think would take lots of work for a RPG. 

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 11:00:45 AM »
"His idea was to totally blow up Shadow World to get it to that point."

Wow... the comment sort of says more then it's sum. Destroying a game system to make a new one, it sounds petty and somewhat angry. Yes, I realize it happens.

Couldn't he have just said "Folenn: Shadow of Itself. Spend some time in the Pales!"

I'm told it's my duty to fight against the law
That wizardry's my trade and I was born to wade through gore
I just want to be a lover, not a red-eyed screaming ghoul
I wish it'd picked another to be it's killing tool

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 09:05:25 AM »
The setting though is... not one of the better ones.  It seems designed for effect for a minis game and I think would take lots of work for a RPG. 

Yes, all the stats are miniature/war gaming, with no RPG stats. However, there is a reasonable amount of background material on many of the realms and, even though that too has a military emphasis, there's probably enough for some people to be able to flesh it out into a proper setting. Perhaps a possibility for further supplements, or minor articles to be published.