Author Topic: Wounds, Penalties, Healing?  (Read 6040 times)

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Re: Wounds, Penalties, Healing?
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 01:04:41 AM »
So, to me less downtime is NOT very realistic, but my players SOOOOOOO prefer this way over the other... and I tend to listen to them!

Well that's certainly understandable. But you know, it's not as if you *have to* roleplay all that downtime either, not if there's nothing happening. After all, it's not as if you roleplay every time they brush their teeth or go to the privy.
If you don't, the only difference it makes is 1) how much money/other resources they have used due to that downtime before they set out once again, and 2) how cold the trail is they were on when they were wounded. If your players (and you) are imaginative enough and patient enough, you can actually add to the fun by making them work around the problems of a cold trail. That all depends on how much you and your players want combat scenarios to dominate the game (always a problem in nearly any RPG). Sometimes it's good to have the fighters step back and let the thinkers have a turn.
For that matter, they can use that downtime to be better prepared for the next time out. Libraries are good places for spellcasters to spend recovery time, just as the fighters can gather gossip at the local forge, the thieves can gather gossip at the local pub and the bard can go try for a gig at the local Lord's castle. That is a golden time for the GM to fill them up with innuendo, local prejudice and half-truths about their potential target.
You can also point out that hey, you know that chain shirt you were thinking of buying? Ya know how it doesn't really fit all that well? Go to the armorer's twice a week for the next 3 weeks so he can fit you, and it WILL fit that well.

By all means, keep your players having fun. After all, that's the whole point. Nonetheless, don't think that "downtime" automatically equates to "dead time". It only does if you let it.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 02:39:08 AM »
Also if the magic users are not recovering then maybe they could be making magic items or researching new spells or info about the adventure.

But as I said they are many types of RPG games out there.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 07:04:27 AM »
This what what I meant by the dung-n-beans<-->High Fantasy spectrum. . .no recovery would definitely be one of the high fantasy elements for a more dashing feel.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 03:44:41 PM »
Or if time is a factor, they can heroically soldier on with penalties for their wounds. Maybe using some pain-relief herbs that temporarily negate the penalties (but watch for addiction).
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 01:02:19 PM »
Yes, I agree, we use herbs as a way to speed things along (also with Magical healing).  The one thing it helps is when the players are in a dungeon crawl or time sensitive chase.  One big fight the old way we used to do it would have the players leave the dungeon crawl, go back to town, wait 1.5 months for a head crack or shattered elbow to heal completely and then continue the crawl. 
We rarely role-play the downtime but it was just so inconvenient.  After we started doing the "magical healing/herb brings back to full health" all our wasted time went away...and the game play wasn?t changed that much.

Players would start buying more and more herbs, spending more time picking out healing spells and they COULD rest temporarily in a dungeon.  Its much more efficient to have the players rest for 7-8 hours and be back to full instead of a few weeks to a few months.

As mentioned before, it seems our newcomers (the younger generation) tends to like the instant-gratification in the game and they loathe the downtime (boring) parts.

D&D 4.0 addresses this also.  Although I really don't like that system at all, the downtime is minimal in that system and when I play tested it for our group that is something that I really liked and felt I could incorporate in our games.

So far, it has worked out really well!  ;D
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Offline Riemumieli

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2009, 02:59:49 PM »
Seems really strange that someone is asking about the penalty, not questioning the unrealistic healing times. Broken arm, 4 days, yeah right. Perhaps 40 days or 2-3 months more likely. I've wondered this for many years (well not all the time, but when the moon is right), how one came up with something so flawed. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 03:12:33 PM by Riemumieli »

Offline Langthorne

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Interrogator: "Do you know who we are?!"
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2009, 05:16:40 PM »
Seems really strange that someone is asking about the penalty, not questioning the unrealistic healing times. Broken arm, 4 days, yeah right. Perhaps 40 days or 2-3 months more likely. I've wondered this for many years (well not all the time, but when the moon is right), how one came up with something so flawed. 

Whether 4 or 400 days, the other questions would still stand.

On the topic of realism in healing - what would you say is a realistic healing time for an orc, or elf, or dwarf?

???

:flame:

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 08:52:15 PM »
Welcome to the forums Riemumieli!

And for recovery time of wounds: yes RM rules are not realisitic.  ;)
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2009, 11:28:21 PM »
On the topic of realism in healing - what would you say is a realistic healing time for an orc, or elf, or dwarf?

???

Given that they aren't RL species, you can't. The only thing you can try for is 'logical in context'.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula