Author Topic: Demons in Rolemaster  (Read 5477 times)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Demons in Rolemaster
« on: May 17, 2008, 11:27:58 PM »
I've always wanted to know this:  If RM has Elf-Demons and Man-Demons, why aren't there any Dwarf-Demons?
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Demons in Rolemaster
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 12:05:41 AM »
dwarves are to hard headed to be demons
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 12:50:42 AM »
Because even demons have taste, prefering the elegance of elves over the fatness of dwarves? Because anything under 4ft isnt intimidating, which is why there are no gnome or halfling demons either. or it may have something to do with the fact that dwarves are highly resistant to magic (well except channeling)
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 01:11:21 AM »
Humans are also more flexible by nature, where as dwarves are all the same. Dwarves are all shaped like barrels, where as humans goes from the almost barrels shape of dwarves to the almost tall twiggy shape of elves.
The flexibility might follow humans as they are corrupted into demons.

(Sorry couldnt modify above post)
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 05:06:50 AM »
Also Halfling-Demons are left out...  ;)
I believe that's because dwarves (and halflings) are usually less skilled in magic than elves and humans. Most racial-demons tend to be ex evil spell users, corrupted by evil magic. This would make dwarves-demons very rare, if not totally non-existant.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 05:11:26 AM »
 I do not know why but I can guess that it might have something to do with the games roots.

I think that R. Defendis Echoes of Heaven setting has the above deamons.

You might want to check it out or create your own based on the information you can gleam from the monster book. I think qulit a few people would like to see some new deamons to add to thier campaign.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 06:36:17 AM »
I would have thought their tendencies toward greed and revenge would make Dwarves a natural candidate for hellish 'promotions'.  I think a dwarf demon would be a terror in combat.

A Halfling Demon?  What's it going to do, eat all your food and break your good china?

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 07:12:19 AM »
A Halfling Demon?  What's it going to do, eat all your food and break your good china?

Or keep you awake all night with unexpected parties...

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 07:24:20 AM »

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 12:47:02 PM »
I do not know why but I can guess that it might have something to do with the games roots.

I would think that this is the most accurate reason. MERP had a strong influence on things that were developed for Rolemaster.

Corrupted Men and Elves becoming demons is part of that mythos (i.e. the Nine, etc..)

And since the dwarves were not corrupted in the same manner as humans, they didn't get made into demons.

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 06:38:17 PM »

and the TALES, gawd the incessant telling of TALES. Make them STOP, Make them STOP!!!! AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
D Puncture crit 100

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 08:16:57 PM »

And since the dwarves were not corrupted in the same manner as humans, they didn't get made into demons.

Or the (greedy) dwarves are demons and pass unnoticed ?
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 08:57:18 PM »

I would think that this is the most accurate reason. MERP had a strong influence on things that were developed for Rolemaster.

Corrupted Men and Elves becoming demons is part of that mythos (i.e. the Nine, etc..)

This was where I went with it, though I think it had more to do with a favoritism for men and elves than anything else. The dwarves were definately slighted in LotR, and as hobbits are basically permanent human children J.R.R. Tolkein probably couldn't bear to make any demon halflings.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 09:18:49 PM »
I just don't think the Powers that be (Suaron) ever really cared about the Halflings.

Golem is what I could see as a "Demon" halfling result
D Puncture crit 100

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Frequently Deceased
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 01:27:35 AM »
 I thought Man and Elf Demons were always mortals that delved into demonic magics and such. This caused them to slowly become attuned to "hell" so when they perished thats where they went. i.e. to their gawds.
 Dwarfs and Halflings arent sucepitable to this temptation so dont get the neccairy taint.
CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 08:28:43 AM »
I was thinking of something along the lines of the Northumberland 'Duergar' mentioned in English fairy stories from the 19th century. 

Offline Rivstyx

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • rivstyx
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 11:09:12 AM »
Because even demons have taste, prefering the elegance of elves over the fatness of dwarves? Because anything under 4ft isnt intimidating, which is why there are no gnome or halfling demons either. or it may have something to do with the fact that dwarves are highly resistant to magic (well except channeling)
hmm, I have thoughts of intimidating shorter beings from pop culture/fiction.  The alien larvae/pupae that come out of your chest in alien comes to mind, Alien abductions by greys and a homunculous that sit on your chest while you sleep (both possibly caused by night paralysis), The half-life head crabs were pretty scary as well.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 11:34:41 AM »

Sontaran's are short and look like a talking baked potato but I digress...

What has puzzled me is why there are elf-demons?  They are already near deities, long lived and usually quite powerful so what advantage would and elf have for becoming a demon?  Besides, I really can't see what demon lord would want his abyss smelling like lavendar.

Now, make a 'dwarven hang over demon', or perhaps 'dwarf with a demonic hangover', and that could indeed be scary.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 07:10:23 AM »
I think mandemons exist because they are easy to corrupt.

Elfdemons might be hard to achive, but carries the important benefit that they live longer than dwarves. Devote tons of resources to make a demon that will die in hundred years or so is surely waste of money.

We could also note that there is not many demonic traits missing from dwarves before they turn as unpleasant as demon. Short, uggly, smelly, beardy, violent, greedy...not much room for improvement.
/Pa Staav