Author Topic: Spell Law Optional Rule Help  (Read 2430 times)

Offline fiolnir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spell Law Optional Rule Help
« on: May 15, 2008, 01:08:16 PM »
For some reason I am not understanding the "optional rule 2.5" from the RMC Spell Law p.24.  It is not clicking with me on what is being said in the text.  If anyone out their uses this optional rule and  has another way of explaining it, let me know.  I am sure it is rather obvious, but I could use some input.
   Thanks

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Spell Law Optional Rule Help
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 01:17:24 PM »
In the Core rules table back on P 21

Pures may learn their base to 50th, and Open/Closed of their realm to 20th level.
Hybrids may learn their base to 50th, Open Lists of their realms to 20th, and closed to 10th
Semis may learn their base to 50th, and Open lists of their realm to 10th level
Non casters may learn open lists of their realm to 5th level.

Using the expanded, then full list availability options opens that up further, but changes the base costs. Using uption 2.5 for instance:

A magician uses the "pure" column

Magician base lists to 50th level for 1/* rank.

Open Essence Lists to 20th level for 1/* per rank.

Open Essence lists 21-50 level for 2/* per rank.

Closed Essence lists 1-20 level for 1/* per rank.

Closed Essence lists 21-50 level for 3/* per rank.

Etc. etc. etc. down the Pure column.

(note, the magician "pure" cost for spell lists is 1/*, the red portions are not allowed in the core rule, but are allowed using this option, but they increase the cost from 1/* to 2/* and 3/* respectively)

You just identify the column that corresponds to the profession of the character, cross reference it to the list portion or ranks you are trying to learn, and that gives you the cost per rank on the table.

Be wary. . .especially with "Other base lists", "Other realm" and "Other realm base lists".

The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline fiolnir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 01:26:12 PM »
Thanks for the input.  "Skill Rank being developed" and its relation to "spell list portions" is where I failed to make the connection.  I get it now.  Thank you.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 01:30:20 PM »
1) Normal spell acquisition rules put limits on how high a spell list may be learned. This option allows for expansion beyond those normal limits (costs determined by Table 03-03). Portions of lists outside the normal range of learnable spells have different costs on the table.

2) The option does contain a typo that had not been previously identified. The second paragraph references "Option 2.5 above" in its opening sentence. That should be Option 2.4 (on page 23) that it refers the reader to.

3) The option also explains that some of the costs on the table are more than the number of DP that a character could normally receive. For example, such as a Fighter wanting to learn a rank in a Closed List from a realm other than his own. For him that first portion (spells 1-5) will cost 100 DP per rank. This is close to double the amount of DPs that a character could gain in a single level, even with maxed out stats.

4) The option goes on to explain how the rules do not allow for purchasing a single rank over multiple levels and how you cannot save DPs across ranks to purchase said ranks.

5) The option also goes on to explain that the higher costs are given for sake of comparison for other methods that a GM might allow in regards to learning a list or portion of a list.