Author Topic: # of Books Needed to Play  (Read 3880 times)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
# of Books Needed to Play
« on: April 20, 2008, 10:02:47 PM »
I am having to end my current RM game and one of the big reasons (not the only) is that I do not want to have to lug around 50 lbs. of books just to play. I do like RMSS/FRP but have been looking at RMC & HARP more seriously because they have far fewer books (though because they are at least somewhat compatible means that some of the other books will eventually bleed in  :D). Because I have three cats (Big Dog, Boots, & Little Girl) and one of my main players is allergic means I cannot run from my place.

Other than PDFs is there any thought into consolidating some of the books, like all the magic companions (Channeling, Essence, Mentalism) into one book - or something else that could take the load off?

Thanks.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: # of Books Needed to Play
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 10:50:45 PM »
Far as I know, you can play HARP with just the core book, or RMX with just the micro sized core book.

HARP plays better with more books, and RMX (as it becomes RMC) plays better with more books added in. Mostly in adding in more and more detail on the subject area.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 10:51:40 PM »
Though i am not here as an official answer to your question, I do wonder how you intend to keep it small when you seem to want the other stuff anyway  :P
though because they are at least somewhat compatible means that some of the other books will eventually bleed in
Seems to indicate you want some parts but not all of what is in the books your currently use.
Consolidation of books like the 3 magic books doesn't make them lighter necessarily. mabey a slight bit but not by much.

This is Why I like PDFs lately, Especialy for Splat/expansion books like companions. I can print out the pages I want and leave the rest making a binder out of what I want and use, thus reducing my "lugage".

Also, though I would not discourage you from picking up RMC, Eventualy any version of RM will end up with more books. And you will more than likely want things from each book, so you end up with the same problem.

Other than PDFs

I really suggest you take a look at PDFs (mabey even the RMSS/FRP pdfs if they are available) and Build yourself a more condensed version of What you actually Use.

Another suggestion, especially for magic use, Print out copies of ONLY the spell lists that your NPCs/Monsters are going to use and leave the unnecessary Bulk of the books you don't need all of at home. For the players, make sure they either have their own copies of the books OR copies of the pertinent Material such as their Spell lists. Don't Let them make YOU lug it all just for them.
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 11:00:37 PM »
Don't carry books, get yourself a laptop, and buy the PDFs  ;D

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 12:58:48 AM »

Amen to that!

Idea point for Temujin!
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 01:47:21 AM »

Oh no, don't do that. Get pdfs to look up stuff quickly, using the search function but for bed, for pleasure reading and browsing for the feeling and the atmosphere get REAL books. I just lent mine to a friend and I am really missing them. pdfs just aren't real books!
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 12:40:02 PM »
I TOTALLY agree with munchy on this one. I feel less stressed and seems to absorp the contents of a book better when I have it in my hands, than on a computer screen. Plus it feels better to flip back and forth in a book. Seems easier too some how :)
Right now I only bring the books I need which is 5 to 6 in total. (The Laws, Comp I + II certainly) and then I scan/print out the Spell lists I need. Everything else is stored on a laptop, which is pulled out when I need the access the information.
Back in my Shadowrun 2/3 days I carried a dufferbag weighing around 20kg back and forth everytime. NEVER AGAIN I SAY!
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 09:51:38 PM »
Of course, I prefer books myself, but if weight is an issue...  why sacrifice the gameplay when books can be substituted for by PDFs?  That's what I do... books for the home, laptop with PDFs for the road.

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 12:24:13 AM »
you don't even need a laptop if you have an IPOD media style device, The newer ones can Display PDFs
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 03:36:38 AM »
I TOTALLY agree with munchy on this one. I feel less stressed and seems to absorp the contents of a book better when I have it in my hands, than on a computer screen. Plus it feels better to flip back and forth in a book. Seems easier too some how :)
Right now I only bring the books I need which is 5 to 6 in total. (The Laws, Comp I + II certainly) and then I scan/print out the Spell lists I need. Everything else is stored on a laptop, which is pulled out when I need the access the information.

Oh no, don't do that. Get pdfs to look up stuff quickly, using the search function but for bed, for pleasure reading and browsing for the feeling and the atmosphere get REAL books. I just lent mine to a friend and I am really missing them. pdfs just aren't real books!
Back in my Shadowrun 2/3 days I carried a dufferbag weighing around 20kg back and forth everytime. NEVER AGAIN I SAY!

I totally agree :)

It does make things a lot easier if you supply the players with a copy of the weapon tables and spell lists that they use.
I usually only have my own notes, spell law, spell users companion, arms law and a copy of a few other things (critical tables ect) with me when I GM in RM2.
It makes it a LOT easier :)

I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 08:21:09 AM »
I, ahem, tend to, um, just photocopy the essential combat charts, spell lists required for the game (either by players or by me) and use a GM shield for the rest.

Am I being too simplistic?.

PDF's are useful but not as much fun to read.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 03:19:45 PM »
I, ahem, tend to, um, just photocopy the essential combat charts, spell lists required for the game (either by players or by me) and use a GM shield for the rest.

Am I being too simplistic?.

PDF's are useful but not as much fun to read.

IMO, no as I do the same.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 08:11:32 AM »

I second that... unless you turn your PDF's into spiral-bound booklets... which I have done... with multiple copies for various players... but I had all the equipment at work and it cost me nothing. I imagine to print and bind the pdf's at, say, Kinkos, would get expensive. If I had a laptop, it would be nice to have all the books on it. but nothing beats a real book in your hands!
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 09:17:21 AM »
I'll toss in my bit here.

It's all a question of "low impact gaming."  With each session take a long hard look at what you use and what you don't use.  If you don't use if for two or more sessions, leave it at home next time.  Sure, every gamer comes across the problem of never knowing what you might need, but traveling light requires some hard decisions.  And is it really worth carrying around a 5 pound book when all you get out of it is a single page of information?  You have to ask the question and answer it honestly.  It's only your own back you're breaking, so who's getting hurt if you're not honest?  ;D

1. Take the core (assuming RMSS which is why I like RMSS's organization and hate FRP's organization): RMSR, AL, SL.  That is all you'll need. 

2. Keep a journal of the stats of all the monsters you'll be using that session.  Over time you'll collect big enough journal of all the monsters you use (without the ones you know you'll never use).  Now you can leave your Creatures and Monsters at home.

3. Do you really roll up random treasure at the table?  If so this one may not help.  If you don't just pre-roll all your treasure.  Treasure Companion off your back.

4. How often do you need Races and Cultures during play?  Probably not alot.  Leave it at home.  You know what a dwarf is.

Go through this process with each book and as you find more information you use in the planning phase and not at the table you'll find books you can leave home.  If it ends up being one page you use over and over just print that page or hand copy the need info.  If you're caught without the info you need (trust me, it'll happen only rarely after this process is done) just wing it.

Using FRP?  Well, the organization for that was made for more of a one-book-game, but in the long run it makes transportation more difficult.

As always, just suggestions.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain